High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .500

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: High Noon Drifter v1.1 - v1.2 coming November 16!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

No, it's okay. Sorry for the fake drama, i just wanted you to see it.
TerminusEst13

Re: High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Sorry, I slipped again.

I’ve been surprised time and time again by the reception to this little mod. I only started it as a way to figure out ZScript with just a simple Doom weapon replacement, and people have been overwhelming me with feedback about stuff they like, stuff they don’t like, and more.
Thank you all for your support and your criticism. I appreciate it sincerely.

DOWNLOAD HERE. (24.3 mb)
Hosting mirror provided by Powerhouse.

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

*downloads*
*grabs a corzo-like hat*
...It's about time we talked about High Noon.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Oh, god. I need to do house services like clean the dishes, you know. My wife's gonna kill me for that...

HND + Kriegsland Enemies, here i come.
mutator

Post by mutator »

When you go to next level all medikits you pick up for inventory disappear except for 1, is this a bug or intentional?
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

TerminusEst13 wrote:- The Quickdraw in Doom has been completely rehauled. It is now an option for the BFG-tier spawn, and is now a reusable inventory item that can be charged up based upon player kills.
Hooray! the thing is actually viable rather that a "I need it so I'm going to save it and never use it" item
TerminusEst13 wrote:- The Dead Radio ghosts will no longer target Corzo's hat.
Actually made me wonder if you could put hats on monsters by throwing it at them and they all exclusively target that monster... just a thought.'
TerminusEst13 wrote:- Corzo's hat is no longer capable of killing him.
How was this even possible?

Spoiler: possible bug report or something you may have fixed already, unsure
Last edited by insightguy on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

The you absolute madman cvar doesn't take effect when you're berserk (and holy shit picking yourself up with your own boomerangs if you throw them at an angle at the floor is fun as hell). Also, you should probably reduce the frequency of caltrops for the caltrops sometimes cvar.
WallyTheBoogieBug

Post by WallyTheBoogieBug »

Picking up a Spirit Bottle causes the sound of the train from the Boots of Speed's replacement to play. Is that intentional?
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

mutator wrote:When you go to next level all medikits you pick up for inventory disappear except for 1, is this a bug or intentional?
Sort of intentional, it's default engine behavior. All the way back in Heretic, whenever you'd go to another level, all of your inventory stuff would be reduced down to 1. So this behavior's kind of stuck with the engine since!
With the +INVENTORY.PERSISTENTPOWER flag, it's possible to have the amount stick with you from level to level! But I'd rather have that be cvar-controlled because being able to carry 25 medikits/berserks/invulns from level to level would be disgustingly overpowered and would encourage hoarding rather than usage.
Someone64 wrote:The you absolute madman cvar doesn't take effect when you're berserk
WallyTheBoogieBug wrote:Picking up a Spirit Bottle causes the sound of the train from the Boots of Speed's replacement to play. Is that intentional?
I'm sorry, I just tried out both of these and I'm not able to replicate either of them.
Is there anything you can tell me that might help? What build of GZDoom are you using? what iwad, map, anything happening around you, etc?
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I'm using GZDoom 3.2.1 and I've had a similar problem with the train sound. Can't remember how I did it but it did have something to do with picking up a powerup. Also, I replicated the boomerang cvar bug just by turning on the cvar, picking up a berserk pack, and testing the boomerang to see if it would pick myself up (and enemies up but that's really inconsistent and I don't really know when it should and shouldn't pick up enemies).
WallyTheBoogieBug

TerminusEst13 wrote:I'm sorry, I just tried out both of these and I'm not able to replicate either of them.
Is there anything you can tell me that might help? What build of GZDoom are you using? what iwad, map, anything happening around you, etc?
I am trying the bug I found under multiple conditions and I can only reproduce it some of the time under the exact same conditions. Sometimes it plays the train noise, sometimes it doesn't. The pattern doesn't seem affected by the other wads I have loaded or not, it only sometimes happens.

For reference, I first noticed it loading 'sunlust.wad' and autoloading 'nash's spriteshadow v1.5.wad'. My GZDoom version 3.2.1. It occurred on MAP04 of Sunlust, with the Spirit Bottle in the corner directly to the left of the player at the start of the map. The settings for the berserk had it set to 'random'. After posting about this issue I immediately began to experiment with it, turning off autoloading and loading only High Noon Drifter itself. It occurred twice via summoning it and then picking it up using the 'summon berserk' command on MAP01, and occurred in a non-summon test by changing level to MAP07 and picking up the berserk that was placed there normally. It has not occurred any other time since then, and does not occur on repeat tries. I have not changed the settings between my own personal testing.

Basically it seems like this bug is random, at least as far as I can tell. It might be attached to save, so if I'm able to get a save that has a bugged Spirit Bottle, I'll share it here.
Last edited by WallyTheBoogieBug on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

GAA1992 wrote:Oh, god. I need to do house services like clean the dishes, you know. My wife's gonna kill me for that...

HND + Kriegsland Enemies, here i come.
This really is an epic combination. I played through most of the Oscillation level set with this (I say most because levels 8 and 9 lagged like fuck for me due to either the monster count exceeding a thousand [level 9] and/or the number of sprite effects/XDeath gibs bogging down the engine to a single FPS slide show bonanza :P).

Congrats on another epic release, Term! :3
WallyTheBoogieBug

Alright, no, disregard some of my previous statements. Though I can swear its occuring in relation to grabbing the spirit bottle, I actually think the train sound is occuring simply at random. I got the sound to occur just by playing through Doom 2's Map23 without having done anything specific or out of the ordinary. I hadn't even touched the console other than to change the level. Perhaps picking up some common item is firing off the script that triggers the train noise?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

The train sound played for me in Masters of Chaos (Heretic Mapset), but i thought it was replacing the ambient sounds. Still, sometimes it seemed the source of the train sound was really close to me.

GzDoom 3.2 here.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Wait, did I just enter a time warp or did you just decide to release build 1.2 a week early? :shock:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”