High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .500

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Abba Zabba

Re: High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .

Post by Abba Zabba »

I have to say, this mod really captured my attention. It captured the things I liked about Demonsteele, expanded on it, then packed it up in a western themed box. It's phenomenal. Great job by Term and those whom helped.

Secondly, a question (well, two): currently I'm adjusting reload state speeds by manually changing the tics in the weapon's zscript file. Would there be a way to make a scaling CVAR for changing reload tics? I have a feeling there is, but I'd figure I'd ask you first to see if it could be done. Last question would be a means to toggle the grease gun to the single-wield mode, or alternatively, have dual-wield and single-wield be available at all times (assuming you have two grease guns) but give an accuracy penalty to dual-wield while buffing the accuracy of single-wield. Single-wield just looks too neat and feels too fun to use for it to be inaccessible once you get a second grease gun, which is often times very shortly after finding the first. Plus it has it's own reload animation.

That's it. I'm blown away by such a well made, new mod that captures a gameplay feel I can't put down, and then tops it off with a western bow.
NovaRain

Post by NovaRain »

Is it possible to add an option to set ammo boxes to always give the same amount of ammo? Currently they give less ammo when the ammo count is over 50% of maximum.
Korell

Post by Korell »

How does the Alternate option for the Balissa/Dead Man's Holster work? Only I've tried to use that option and the first BFG spawns the Balissa and the second spawns the Dead Man's Holster, as I'd expect, but then I would have thought that it would continue to alternate with the third BFG spawning Balissa again, but instead the third, fourth, fifth, and the rest all continue to spawn the Dead Man's Holster. Am I misunderstanding what should be happening here or is this a bug?
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Korell wrote:How does the Alternate option for the Balissa/Dead Man's Holster work? Only I've tried to use that option and the first BFG spawns the Balissa and the second spawns the Dead Man's Holster, as I'd expect, but then I would have thought that it would continue to alternate with the third BFG spawning Balissa again, but instead the third, fourth, fifth, and the rest all continue to spawn the Dead Man's Holster. Am I misunderstanding what should be happening here or is this a bug?
I think it's more a slightly-inaccurate-choice-of-words-for-the-purpose-of-brevity than any bug. You get the Mask first, and every spawn thereafter is a (more valuable, given your inventory) Dead Man's Holster.

Additional Holsters give you a full charge whereas additional Masks of Basilissa only get you another 40 magic, which is generally easier to get. Even without alternating drops, Basilissa masks revert to a cluster of small rune if you already have the mask.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I've noticed a couple of issues with your patch for Strange Aeons. First, because the boomerang pickup doesn't work properly because it doesn't use the "ThisIsTheStupidest" actor you made to ensure it does. Second, although I guess this one could be intentional, the rapid fire troopers don't drop anything. In the original, they drop an AK, and I suppose you may have thought it'd be too generous for them to drop grease guns, but if that's the case then I think they should still drop bullets at the very least.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

SiFi270 wrote:I've noticed a couple of issues with your patch for Strange Aeons. First, because the boomerang pickup doesn't work properly because it doesn't use the "ThisIsTheStupidest" actor you made to ensure it does. Second, although I guess this one could be intentional, the rapid fire troopers don't drop anything. In the original, they drop an AK, and I suppose you may have thought it'd be too generous for them to drop grease guns, but if that's the case then I think they should still drop bullets at the very least.
That's odd, I just checked and it does indeed use ThisIsTheStupidest.

I never really ran into any ammo amount issues in terms of going through Strange Aeons, even on the UV equivalent difficulty. But, well, that was a while ago. I could likely go through another play session to double check for sure.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Oh boy I guess it's another classic case of me losing track of which of my files are up to date. Never mind how embarrassing.
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

uhhhh, if i use the dead mans holster to many times (in a row), or lock on to to many targets and shoot, the game crashes to console...
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

If it's a crash to console, can you post the crash message, please? It should specifically say where the code is getting hung up on, and I could use that for reference.
sir_firebrand

Post by sir_firebrand »

I've played it with both Heretic and hexen. And boy, what a surprise!

So simple, so intelligent, so polished and so well made. You got yourself a fan, sir.

Going full Basilissa on the Maulotaurs on E2M8 was an experience!

I will probably never have this fun in heretic again.
thedeathrunner123

TerminusEst13 wrote:If it's a crash to console, can you post the crash message, please? It should specifically say where the code is getting hung up on, and I could use that for reference.
Sorry for getting to this so late, ya i can (mega link to a screenshot bc i dont bother with imgur or any uploading site. + its small and hard to read, so this is easy to zoom in with)
https://mega.nz/#!2SAWiIZT!CCXywrZyFYm5 ... J7KJe3y0sQ
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

The Dead Man's Holster works by targeting shootable actor and storing them in an array. Brutal Doom makes so much extraneous nonsense into shootable actors that at some point, the Revolver is pulling a blank entity from the array, causing it to read from address zero and causing a crash.
I'm not at liberty to talk about what the Slightly Overpowered Edition does or what it modifies, since I haven't delved that much into the code, but if it changes the revolver that might also be a candidate for issues.

There's not much I can do about it, sorry. High Noon Drifter isn't really that compatible with Brutal Doom.

sir_firebrand wrote:I've played it with both Heretic and hexen. And boy, what a surprise!

So simple, so intelligent, so polished and so well made. You got yourself a fan, sir.

Going full Basilissa on the Maulotaurs on E2M8 was an experience!

I will probably never have this fun in heretic again.
Thank you very much!
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

SiFi270 wrote:I've tried making another compatibility patch, this time for City of the Damned 2, but I've run into a pretty big issue in the fact that you can't switch weapons, which I'm guessing has something to do with this part of the level's ACS:

Is there anything I can do about this?
You guys, it wasn't ACS at all. It was keyconf. So here it is.

I tested some of it and got stuck, so I'm planning to watch a walkthrough on Youtube and then try again.
thedeathrunner123

[quote="TerminusEst13"]
I'm not at liberty to talk about what the Slightly Overpowered Edition does or what it modifies, since I haven't delved that much into the code, but if it changes the revolver that might also be a candidate for issues.

It does modify ammo capacity and ups the damage just SLIGHTLY to the revolver.
thedeathrunner123

Im gonna try ketchup and see if that fixes the problem, bc clearly bd monsters only isnt working.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”