High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .500

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
mutator

Re: High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .

Post by mutator »

Terminus are you planning to add weapon attachment upgrade system to the mod or upgrade that makes your weapons stronger? or if you want you can upgrade the player that when you get enough coins you are able to buy ammo capacity upgrade, health capacity upgrade or armor capacity upgrade or even upgrade that allows your powerups to last longer
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Impromptu show of hands, who among here actually cares much for Strife? Do you genuinely want to have another gameplay mod for it? Or would this convince you to actually give it a run?
The drifter thing would actually be thematic for Strife, and I never expected it to gel as well with Hexen as it does so maybe it's possible to do. However it's probably not worth the effort. Trouble spots I can think of just off the top of my head:
  • Voiced dialogue and artwork. Sometimes it refers to weapons and items, as in Harris when he gives you the crossbow, and anything related to The Sigil. Some text is not voiced and can be altered however.
  • The Sigil. You could rig up something with the Basilissa probably, where you obtain the full thing in place of the first piece, but it gets empowered from the bosses in some way. However the fire theme will be a mismatch to the Sigil attacks that bosses will use on you.
  • Flamethrower parts. Could be subbed in as the Anthrakia crystal to pair with the staff or something. Voiced dialogue issues with this too.
  • Grenade bouncing off actors will possibly stuff up a quest or two (blowing up power core).
  • Health and accuracy upgrades. The former is easy but the latter would kind of suck.
  • Deciding on item distribution for the existing weapons and inventory pick-ups. There are some clear equivalents thankfully.
On top of that I've no idea how flexible the game is to mod compared to Doom or whether some of this is possible. In any case some changes may be too extensive for your liking.

EDIT:

Code: Select all

class LeatherArmour : BasicArmorPickup replaces GreenArmor // Ooooh look at me using the fancy spelling to avoid Strife conflicts!
{                                                          // Who the fuck would play Strife with this anyway?
This got a lot funnier.

Also @mutator personally I love this because it's as straightforward as it is.
Last edited by fakemai on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

While I would like to see more mods for Strife, I think you'd be better off making something intended solely for Strife - contorting HND (or any mod originating from another IWAD) to work with it sounds guaranteed to end in tears. Then again, Pillowblaster has apparently done it with GunCaster, so you could try talking to him.

In my humble, personal opinion, I think HND has about as many features as it needs - it may not do as much as other mods, but what it does do, it does damn well.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

is playing this mod with neil cicierega's wow wow a requirement? if not, it should be.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Being able to download this midi version would certainly help.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

The real genius behind Strife support for a bunch of things, including GC (coming in that 3.0 release) and TB (was a thing but is now outdated), would be amv2k9. Even if I've heard tell he probably doesn't want to do any more Strife-mod finagling, he'd still be the best guy to ask about Strife support.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I've tried making another compatibility patch, this time for City of the Damned 2, but I've run into a pretty big issue in the fact that you can't switch weapons, which I'm guessing has something to do with this part of the level's ACS:

Code: Select all

//Weapon Script
str Weps[6] = {
   "NewFist",
   "Pitchfork",
   "PistolBlood",
   "Sawedoff",
   "Thompson",
   "NapalmLauncher"
};

str Ammo1[6] = {
   "NewFist",
   "Pitchfork",
   "AClip",
   "AutoShotgunClip",
   "AClip",
   "NapalmAmmo"
};

str Ammo2[6] = {
   "NewFist",
   "Pitchfork",
   "AClip",
   "Shell",
   "AClip",
   "NapalmAmmo"
};

script 99 (int oldwep) {
   // Changed index to start at 5 and go to 0 instead of 6 to 1.
	for (int i=5; i>=0; i--) {
      if (oldwep == i) continue;
      if (!CheckInventory(Weps[i])) continue;
      if (!CheckInventory(Ammo1[i]) && !CheckInventory(Ammo2[i])) continue;

SetWeapon(Weps[i]);
      terminate;
   }

// Fail-safe in case a weapon couldn't be found
   SetWeapon("NewFist");
}

script 999 (int tid) {
   int x, y, oldx, oldy;

x = GetActorX(tid);
   y = GetActorY(tid);

while (1) {
      oldx = x;
      oldy = y;

x = GetActorX(tid);
      y = GetActorY(tid);

if (x != oldx || y != oldy) { // Actor moved
         Thingsound(tid, "DORMOV", 127);
      }

delay(17);
   }
}

script 110 (void)
{
	acs_executealways(999,0,33,0,0);
	acs_executealways(999,0,53,0,0);
	acs_executealways(999,0,54,0,0);
    //delay(1);
	//restart;
}
Is there anything I can do about this?
TheJakal13

Post by TheJakal13 »

I absolutely love this mod. But I also have a big thing for old western movies, gunslinger and the like.

But just two things I wanted to suggest. How about a preference option for single wielding the smg. Either by hitting 4 a second time to go from the dual to the single, or via an option in the preferences section of the mod options.

Second, I really love the revolver spin. And was wondering if there was a plan to impliment more weapons to have them, like a flip with the lever shotgun, or something. It's very satisfying to gun down a room of enemies with the revolver and the dead man's holster, and then casually stroll through the wake while spinning the pistol around.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

mutator wrote:Terminus are you planning to add weapon attachment upgrade system to the mod or upgrade that makes your weapons stronger? or if you want you can upgrade the player that when you get enough coins you are able to buy ammo capacity upgrade, health capacity upgrade or armor capacity upgrade or even upgrade that allows your powerups to last longer
This seems a little out of the scope of the mod, unfortunately, sorry.
Adding shops and upgrades and such is a really cool idea (Psychic does it well and is one of my favorite mods) but I think would exponentially complicate things, whereas the goal of High Noon Drifter is to keep things simple.
Maybe for another mod I do sometime!
SiFi270 wrote:I've tried making another compatibility patch, this time for City of the Damned 2, but I've run into a pretty big issue in the fact that you can't switch weapons, which I'm guessing has something to do with this part of the level's ACS:
[...]
Is there anything I can do about this?
I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of CotD2, but it seems to me that is exactly the culprit. You're being given the weapons, the weapons don't actually exist (or are being replaced with something else), and so there's a bit of an inventory lock on the player.
Again, not very familiar, but my first impressions would be that this system would need a whole rewrite, which unfortunately would require a bit more in-depth editing than having a gameplay-compatible patch to load the two together. It might be good to (with Torm's permission, of course) just kind of do a Supportive Edition/Vaccinated Edition version of the wad, taking out all of the weapons and using default Doom weapons.
TheJakal13 wrote:I absolutely love this mod. But I also have a big thing for old western movies, gunslinger and the like.
But just two things I wanted to suggest. How about a preference option for single wielding the smg. Either by hitting 4 a second time to go from the dual to the single, or via an option in the preferences section of the mod options.
Second, I really love the revolver spin. And was wondering if there was a plan to impliment more weapons to have them, like a flip with the lever shotgun, or something. It's very satisfying to gun down a room of enemies with the revolver and the dead man's holster, and then casually stroll through the wake while spinning the pistol around.
Thank you for playing! I'm glad you enjoy it.
A way to swap to single-wielding the SMG is a popular request and one I've been playing around with. Zhs2's contributed some code towards getting this in, and if there's a 1.3 update there's a high chance this feature will be in.
Weapon spinning would be wonderful, and it's actually really easy to do in terms of code! However, it relies 100% on having sprites for the weapon spinning, and unfortunately I don't have 'em. :P
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Another thing about the Pirate patch I've been meaning to bring up for a while but didn't want to double post/bump/derail over. I was able to 100% the campaign for the most part, but the .pk7 release of Pirate Doom adds a secret area with a megasphere to the House of Mojo map, and from what I can tell the only way to get it is by rocket jumping with the cannon. But Corzo can't rocket jump, and the only other solution I could come up with was summoning Basilissa, forcing jumping to be enabled despite it bein' for landlubbers, and having her get up there in a single bound.

I don't suppose it's worth making an update just for an extra cvar or two, but maybe there could be an option that would allow Corzo to rocket jump with grenades? In addition, an option for the berserk whip to gib monsters would be handy against the multiplying imps towards the end of the circus map.
Cheater87

Post by Cheater87 »

I noticed my health and armor reset and I thinks my weapons as well when going to new levels.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Cheater87 wrote:I noticed my health and armor reset and I thinks my weapons as well when going to new levels.
Make sure the Pistol Start options are turned off.
15098D

Post by 15098D »

Well lookie here, pardner. I rekon this'll kick some major ass
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

I made a very stupid gameplay video with my highly edited version of High Noon Drifter 1.2 and felt the need to shitpost it here. :)

I'll go away now. This mod is one of my most favorite btw, Thanks for making it.

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Eeey, awesomely brave-stupid nice wild west enemies!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”