High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .500

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TerminusEst13

High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .500

Post by TerminusEst13 »

There's been a drifter that's been makin' the rounds. He seems a simple enough fellow. Quiet. Polite. But I saw a peek of him, with a burnt cloak that hid a rock of a man, and a hat shadowing his face. I could see his eyes underneath, and they spooked me--shining with a light that wasn't of this world. He tipped his hat at me and wished me good day, but in that moment I felt like I'd glimpsed at eternity.
I'd asked around town, and the folk had some tall tales to say about him. Some say that he's a demon, rebelling from his life in Hell and fighting against his former masters. Others say that he's a vampire, living forever off the blood of those he slays. Others say that he's a priest, doin' God's work on these forsaken lands. And yet others say that he's just a luckier and tougher son of a bitch than the rest. But whoever he is, they all say he's not so much driftin' through towns as he is...worlds. Goin' from one reality to the next, leavin' only hot casings and cold bodies.

He won't be here long. He never is. Guess I can't blame him, not really any place on Earth that could fit a man like him. He only stays long enough to head to a bar, talk to some folks, get some food, and grab a bottle of Corzo white for the road. But such is the life of a drifter.
Who knows where he'll head next? There's some real dark corners in the world out there...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD HERE. (24.3 mb)
Hosting mirror provided by Powerhouse.

v1.1b (22.4 mb)
v1.1b mirror

v1.0 (19.0 mb)
v1.0 mirror

Compatibility with Strange Aeons (Optional patch)
Compatibility with Pirate Doom (Optional patch, by SiFi270)

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

High Noon Drifter is a GZDoom weaponset where you play as a gunslinger that's stuck around for a little longer than the end of the wild west era. The weapons and overall tone is relatively low-tech, complimenting more natural-style mapsets for roaming around castles, ruins, and other assorted gothic setpieces. You make use of some ordinary guns that any joe could scrounge up, a handful of antiquated pieces, and a couple dark artifacts in a quest to dispense frontier justice to an ethereal threat.
If you've been craving a "Weird West" sort of weaponset, or even more of an adventurer-type rather than a soldier using military tech, hopefully this'll be up your alley.

High Noon Drifter is also a simple and gimmick-less weaponset, probably the most straightforward mod I've made yet--you pick up the guns, hit the fire button, they go bang and kill the demons.
A lot of gameplay mods nowadays come with a sort of a big crazy gimmick or a whole bunch of over-the-top weapons with lots of intricate functions. And that ain't a bad thing! But with this, I wanted to re-study the basics of what makes a gun fun to use, sticking with just the basic weapon types and then making them N E A T.
This also provided me with an opportunity to familiarize myself with the intricacies of ZScript and Anonymous Functions before using them on a certain bigger project, because Lord knows both of those provide a lot of fun and laughs.

FEATURES:
- Works in Doom, Doom 2, TNT: Evilution, Plutonia, Heretic, and Hexen! Well, and Chex Quest and Harmony.
- An idiot's first attempts at ZScript, with slowly more integration and usage over time!
- A complete weaponset with 10 (technically 11) different weapons to play with!
- A whole bunch of new and original graphics!
- All Doom/Doom 2 items and weapons have been replaced!
- Compatibility with most Boom and ZDoom mapsets!
- Monsters are un-touched, allowing people to load with their monster packs or gore systems of choice, or for custom monsters in maps to not break horribly!
- A bunch of cvars to customize your gameplay experience how you want!
- A unique, never-before-seen-in-Doom "Hat System" that keeps track of whether you're wearing your hat or not and adjusts accordingly!
- Compatible in multiplayer! I think? I mean, I haven't tried it, but some friends tell me it works, so...
- A dedicated "crash the game" button, just hit Mission Objectives!

Screenshots:

CREDITS:
Spoiler:
WHAT SHOULD I PLAY THIS WITH?:
Spoiler:
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] High Noon Drifter - Drink your milk.

Post by Captain J »

It's High Noon. And i can't wait for the official release. Because this mod might be a goldmine!
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Nice, gonna try this when it comes out.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

DUAL. GREASE. GUNS.

Please, let me play this one. I never begged you anything :lol:
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I played the pre-release the other day. Looking forward to the full release!!
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I see it's compatible with both Strange Aeons and Ancient Aliens. Will that be as simple as just loading the mod with them, or will there be additional patches for things like that?
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

SiFi270 wrote:I see it's compatible with both Strange Aeons and Ancient Aliens. Will that be as simple as just loading the mod with them, or will there be additional patches for things like that?
Just load them alongside, yes.
Strange Aeons has one weapon that isn't a replacer, so that needed commenting out. But aside from that, I managed to play through the first two episodes without any real issues.

GAA1992 wrote:DUAL. GREASE. GUNS.
Please, let me play this one. I never begged you anything :lol:
Release is coming soon. Hopefully you'll enjoy it once it's out. :D
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

This is the best gameplay mod. I couldn't say it if it weren't true. This one's the best.

The fact that it has grease guns, a weapon I fell in love with since Fallout: New Vegas' "9mm SMG", is enough for anyone to give this mod a try when it is released. I too had the pleasure of trying out the pre-release, and I must say, being someone who really only plays his own mods, High Noon Drifter is definitely one I will come back to often!

200 out of 200 people (100%) found this review helpful.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

All this makes me think of.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Or maybe even;
goanna678

Post by goanna678 »

can we have the deadeye power up from overwatch?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

I'm not sure why this wasn't posted here since it was public, but here's half an hour of gameplay footage while playing Strange Aeons.

JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Are these weapon sprites original? If not, where are they coming from?
Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf on Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

OK, NOW i want to play this.
mekanchest

Post by mekanchest »

hey wow looks good the mod :3.
Image a enemie that i made called the corrupted executioner.
can i added like a separate addon when your mod it´s released?? it will be nice :D
Last edited by mekanchest on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”