High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .500

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .

Post by Pandut »

This is by far one of the funnest mods I've played in a long time. Seriously, the amount of detail and smoothed out gameplay is quite amazing. It's help motivated me to start making monster mods so I can play these types of mods against something other than standard doom monster-fare XD.

The only thing I can really say about this though is that while the Grenades certainly do their job as a rocket launcher replacement, they really lack the oomph that the other weapons have. Have you considered playing around with explosive weapons, possibly putting grenades into a different weapon group altogether (Like group 0 instead of 5) and adding an entirely new explosive weapon? A witchhunter-esque crossbow that shoots explosive bolts, or maybe some steampunk hip-firing cannon would be an interesting addition. 'Course, all up to you! I appreciate all the hard work you put into your mods <3.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Dumb as heck idea: Longtomb Special (from Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier)

(It's true function is shown 43 seconds in)
Normal Fire is like yer typical revolver, but the special fire, Klondike Mode is a powerful wave motion beam shot that requires the player to stay still or move slower while it is charging. Klondike Mode would require the player to cause a number of damage with this specific gun before it can be used.

Again, dumb as heck idea.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

The only thing I can really say about this though is that while the Grenades certainly do their job as a rocket launcher replacement, they really lack the oomph that the other weapons have. Have you considered playing around with explosive weapons, possibly putting grenades into a different weapon group altogether (Like group 0 instead of 5) and adding an entirely new explosive weapon? A witchhunter-esque crossbow that shoots explosive bolts, or maybe some steampunk hip-firing cannon would be an interesting addition. 'Course, all up to you! I appreciate all the hard work you put into your mods <3
Honestly the grenades are fine, you find a lot of them, and use them often due to the amount of versatility they provide. I'm all for a new slot 5 weapon, but a crossbow or steampunk weapon doesn't fit this character's theme in my view. The Drfiter is from the 1800's, and his arsenal is comprised of weapons used from every major war he has lived through, as well as shamanic items of old. He already has a bow, and that's iconic of the 1800's theme, so a crossbow wouldn't fit too well. A steampunk cannon kind of clashes with his theme, and a better alternative would be to use a Panzerschreck, or throw a tiki totem with enough blast power to turn a house into a crater.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

New weapons are very much an if depending entirely on if Strife support ever happens.
That being said, I did a little playing around with weapon slots and it would definitely require some new weapons in order to slot into every slot.
Nearest equivalents I can think of are:

Dagger: Whip/Thunderhawk
Crossbow (elec/poison): Cintia (buckshot/hellfire)
Assault Rifle: Grasa
Mini-missile Launcher: ???
Grenade launcher (explosive/phosphorous): Grenades (shrapnel/hellfire)
Flamethrower: Gate of Anthrakia (needs to share ammo with mauler)
Mauler (SSG/BFG): ???
Sigil of the One God: Mask of Basilissa (Sucks a bit of health instead of ammo?)

...Which gives us two empty slots to work with, which honestly could be filled with a wide variety of different weapons. Lots of possibilities!
But, well, it's a bit of a moot point. Like I said before, it's dependent entirely on if this gets Strife support, which is already a severe maybe to begin with!
XavierStudios

Post by XavierStudios »

If Strife support were to happen, I posit that a javelin weapon could be used in the mini-missile launcher slot. Corzo's already the proud owner of a whip, boomerang and bow. Why not some throwing spears?

Primary fire throws a dynamite-tipped javelin that explodes on contact. Reload could throw an unlit javelin that sticks in the monster and explodes on being shot or otherwise damaged. Throw a handful of unlit javelins into a Cyberdemon, hit it with a lit one and watch it go poof. Probably have the game check how many javelins are embedded in the monster and make a single proportionally stronger explosion instead of potentially tens at once to prevent lag.

I have a problem. I can't stop imagining. I have so many design documents.
lwks

Post by lwks »

First of, why will you only add new weapons if this gets Strife support? :?

Second, found a bug s̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶: the StatusBar won't scale if I mess in the values in the Scale Menu inside the Hud Option Menu.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

lwks wrote:Second, found a bug s̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶: the StatusBar won't scale if I mess in the values in the Scale Menu inside the Hud Option Menu.
That's probably definitely intentional, because he used the forcescaled option in SBARINFO, and also because the status bar is only so wide and uses absolute positioning.
Last edited by Gollgagh on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erni945

Post by erni945 »

I have a question, why when playing in Hexen after each change of the map (not a hub) I lose all my inventory along with the ammunition I gained. Is this the intended purpose or is it a bug?
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Check to make sure that "Forced Pistol Starts" in the mod options menu ('el_pistolstart' in console) isn't On or 1? Hexen works for me.
lwks

Post by lwks »

Gollgagh wrote:
lwks wrote:Second, found a bug s̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶: the StatusBar won't scale if I mess in the values in the Scale Menu inside the Hud Option Menu.
That's probably definitely intentional, because he used the forcescaled option in SBARINFO, and also because the status bar is only so wide and uses absolute positioning.
That's unfortunate. :( I don't like playing with Statusbars, but when I want to I'd like to be able to change it's size in case I find it too big, which is the case here, it ends up being a little intrusive. But why is that? It's to not cause glitches or simply because he wants to?
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

lwks wrote:First of, why will you only add new weapons if this gets Strife support? :?
Having more weapons without a reason/purpose behind them is really just bloat. Not that huge arsenals full of dozens of different weapons are bad, but that's a little out of the scope of this project, I think!
I'm not against more weapons, but what do you want to see? And how do you think they'd fit in? That's what's more important to me than adding more weapons for the sake of more weapons.
lwks wrote:But why is that? It's to not cause glitches or simply because he wants to?
Because I'm a moron who doesn't know how to keep the info on the borders of the screen no matter the size or resolution. ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

If you want, I would be happy to rework the SBARINFO code to do that.

I already did the fullscreen half of it in that old hexen patch that I made.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

I would sincerely appreciate that, if you don't mind.
lwks

Post by lwks »

Where did Basilissa's name come from?
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

If you look up its etymology, it means Queen, which is pretty dang cool.
Spoiler:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”