High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .500

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: High Noon Drifter v1.1 - Sixguns and Spaghetti

Post by Zhs2 »

xenoxols wrote:Anyways I really like the dead man's holster, I've had that idea in my head for a while but you beat me to it, nice!
You're welcome! I thought of it while playing this in multiplayer - the whole revolver spinning animation on Zoom popped up as the perfect thing to attach it to, first - and I said to myself, "hmm, I know just how to script this". So I did, and it fired normal old pistol bullets after roving the crosshair over a bunch of targets. Then I showed it to Terminus, and now, after a bunch of tweaks and bugfixes (the effects are all Term's), it's a feature.

I've also done some work recently on making it recharge based on the health values of slain enemies, in Doom only - Heretic items untouched - since, to me, Doom is all about murder, while Heretic is about using artifacts. I suppose we'll see how that pans out.
detectDefective

Post by detectDefective »

Playing through the Ultimate Doom with this mod, I've been having tons of fun. The revolver is probably my favorite weapon out of the lot (the fanning is just too good), though the regular shotgun and grenades are damned close and tied for second.

(The Mystic Torch actually isn't bugged; I had dynamic lights disabled. Sorry for the confusion.)
I'm a bit confused about the powerups, though. The Mystic Torch doesn't seem to light areas, while I've got great vision in the dark with the Mask of Shadows.

Oddly enough, I like the fact that the Mask of Shadows makes it easier to see in the dark. Fits well with its name.
Last edited by detectDefective on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

After a few tests, I'm pretty sure that just using the Mask of Basilissa's primary/reload fire on bosses/large hordes is significantly better than summoning Basilissa. Summoning her now is actually too costly now with the faster drain on ammo, tho it's still fun to do so, just more wasteful in the long run.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well, if you want to be invincible for safety a minute and crunch down upon weaker minions, i recommend to summon her.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Irrevenant wrote:Also digging the new muzzle flashes.
But I'd much rather the holster be limited by a cooldown or some sort of resource. A holster seems more like a base equipment upgrade than a one-time thing.
Thanks, Fran did a good job with the flashes.
And it seems like a lot of folks are interested in more usage for the holster! I might have to go with that. I'm not gonna lie, the implementation of Heretic artifacts in Doom was incredibly haphazard.
For v1.2, I'm gonna need to revisit this. Zhs2 has Cool Ideas for how to implement a more re-usable/rechargeable holster, so we're gonna need to prod at that until we get something satisfactory.
potetobloke wrote:I found some strange bug, the dead radio ghost gun things started to shoot the thrown hat.
wat
Ooooops. I'll need to fix that, thank you.
Glaice wrote:I like the "resurrect" messages when you cheat and type it in the console because some people are either inexperienced, forgetful on saving or other things. Is this code open to use in other mods?
Yes, my code is free to use for reference or usage in other things, though a mention in the credits is appreciated!
Yoshi348 wrote:I don't know if this is a new bug or an old bug, because the last set I tried this with didn't have light amplification visors because, well, light amplification visors, but when you have the mystic torch you can often end up seeing a giant torch on the upper left of your screen when your camera moves... rotating is a good way to do the trick, but weapon recoil can give you glimpses as well. I'm guess you put an actual torch on the player sprite when you're using the torch, and it's a separate thing that exists in the game world that doesn't update position quite as smoothly as the player does?
Not really a glitch! You're correct, it's a separate thing in the game world that actually follows the player around and moves as he moves. Like Doomrater said, though, the world is locked at 35 frames per second and can't update faster than that.
I'll have it pop up just a couple units higher than the player, though, so it won't be in the way so much when it appears.
Gorec wrote:u can still get free fire from primary attack on staff
Oops.
Well, that's significantly less convenient to abuse, though, so that's a plus.
xenoxols wrote:Something that really bothers me is that the player is all muscular like an 80s hero, not a western drifter. Of course this is completely personal taste, so ignore me. Anyways I really like the dead man's holster, I've had that idea in my head for a while but you beat me to it, nice!
This is a limitation of the spriteset used, unfortunately. I didn't want to use Doomguy arms, and Parias' arms are beefy, so that mandated a character that was also beefy as well.
detectDefective wrote:Playing through the Ultimate Doom with this mod, I've been having tons of fun. The revolver is probably my favorite weapon out of the lot (the fanning is just too good), though the regular shotgun and grenades are damned close and tied for second.
I'm a bit confused about the powerups, though. The Mystic Torch doesn't seem to light areas, while I've got great vision in the dark with the Mask of Shadows.
Oddly enough, I like the fact that the Mask of Shadows makes it easier to see in the dark. Fits well with its name.
Thanks very much, I'm glad you like it!
Strange that the light isn't showing up, though. Do you have dynamic lights enabled or disabled?
Cryomundus wrote:After a few tests, I'm pretty sure that just using the Mask of Basilissa's primary/reload fire on bosses/large hordes is significantly better than summoning Basilissa. Summoning her now is actually too costly now with the faster drain on ammo, tho it's still fun to do so, just more wasteful in the long run.
I'm trying to split the functions of the Mask into threefold.
The primary fire is the typical BFG. The alt-fire is for sheer damage and clearing power. And the summoning is for pure defense, surviving onslaughts and whittling them down--complete with health regeneration, too!
If summoning her seems too costly, I'll probably either increase her defense a little bit more or lower the initial summon cost. But I'd very much like to hear thoughts from other people, how do you guys think the three functions stand so far?
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Finally gave this a little playthrough great gameplay mod love the deadman's holster powerup for me it's the highlight of the mod.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Why not have a drain that starts off slow, but gradually increases the longer you stay as Basilissa, though it has a hard cap on the rate. Kinda like a rush of power that wears off over time.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

How about a magic bonus for unsummoning her early enough, or in this case one that builds up a bonus over time depending on how you do while she's summoned?
detectDefective

Post by detectDefective »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Strange that the light isn't showing up, though. Do you have dynamic lights enabled or disabled?
... crap. Sorry about that. Checked my options and found out they were on for Software but not OpenGL.

Mystic Torch works fine now, thanks much. Post's been edited to reflect this.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

did the recent update mess with the compatibility patch for strange aeons?? cant seem to switch any weapons
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

I ran up to E1M3 and seemed to be able to swap weapons fine.

What version of GZDoom are you on? Are you loading in the order of Strange Aeons > HND > Patch?
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

I feel like as it stands the way the Basilissa summon works right now is better; one of the things I'm impressed about this mod is that you've managed to avoid the classic "plasma rifle overshadowed by the BFG" problem even though you have multiple BFGs, essentially, when most other weapon mods make sure to separate BFG and plasma ammo to stop that. The summon does its job as a defensive panic button and a slaughtermap "claw your safe area out of the opening setup" usage and making it too offensive would probably just remove the regular fire as something anybody uses. I guess the real issue is thematic disconnect; summoning and controlling a giant demon intrinsically sounds like the biggest weapon in your arsenal and the ultimate "wreck shop" mode, but here's its more of a role player than a tactical nuke. I'm not sure how to address that though without losing something else.
IAmRyanHearMeRoar

Post by IAmRyanHearMeRoar »

I love this mod, but I do have one issue.

Parts of the hud are missing, such ass the weapon names and backgrounds of the health, armor, and ammo.
Spoiler:
To clarify, I'm running ZDL v3.2.2.2, using GZDoom v3.1.0, and the only other mod I'm running is Ketchup (no gibs), on Plutonia.
I play on 1920 x 1080.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Press the Minus ( - ) key to shrink the screen by one size.
IAmRyanHearMeRoar

Post by IAmRyanHearMeRoar »

Press the Minus ( - ) key to shrink the screen by one size.
Well I sure do feel stupid. Thanks dude!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”