High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .500

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TerminusEst13

Re: High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Tesculpture wrote:If I may make a some suggestions for extra options I'd like to see:
-To have the Double Whips spawn before/alongside boomerangs from Chainsaws/Gauntlets in Doom/Heretic. The way it is now, obtaining Double Whips in Doom requires you to obtain nine boomerangs, then enter a Chainsaw containing level. Since not all Doom levels contain a Chainsaw, and those that do usually only have one, you can have completed most of a megawad before you get the whips - if you're playing a nine level episode in Heretic or a megawad that reverts you to a pistol start halfway through, it's all but impossible.
-To allow/disallow M-12 Graza dual wielding.
-To make it so that, when you throw a boomerang at your tossed hat, it picks the hat up and returns it to you instead of punting it away again.
-To spawn inventory items specific to one Iwad in the others; eg Express Tickets in Doom/Heretic, or Masks Of Shadows in Hexen.
Hello! Thanks for the suggestions, sorry it took me a while to reply.
- This is suuuper-intentional. The double whips are, uh, OP as fuck. They're practically BFG-tier; once you get a good rhythm going you're able to deal out consistent damage that has a high chance of stunlocking enemies as well as creating a nearly-impenetrable barrier in front of you, with an emergency dodge in case of surprise attack. They really, really, really shouldn't be easier to get. If you REALLY want it, though, definitely take heed of Gollgagh's suggestion. I highly encourage you to play around with the code and tweak things as you like!
- A very common suggestion! I've been playing around with some code that Zhs2 submitted, if there's another update then this has a (relatively) high chance of coming in.
- I'll see what I can do.
- I'll also see what I can do, but there's a big question of "What would they replace?" here.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

TerminusEst13 wrote:- This is suuuper-intentional. The double whips are, uh, OP as fuck. They're practically BFG-tier; once you get a good rhythm going you're able to deal out consistent damage that has a high chance of stunlocking enemies as well as creating a nearly-impenetrable barrier in front of you, with an emergency dodge in case of surprise attack. They really, really, really shouldn't be easier to get. If you REALLY want it, though, definitely take heed of Gollgagh's suggestion. I highly encourage you to play around with the code and tweak things as you like!
Having used the double whips more and seen myself they are OP, I understand and retract my previous statement. Getting them in Doom 1 or Heretic can actually be made easier by using Mikk's zEpisodic Mod, which allows you to keep your inventory from one episode to another.

Although, this just leads to the opposite problem in Hexen, where they're a guaranteed drop about halfway through...but then again, Hexen has those God-damn-total-and-utter-chicken-s*** Slaughtaurs in it, so in fact they balance things out pretty well...

I would love to try some Doom modding myself, but seeing as I'm already an aspiring writer struggling to knuckle down with that, pursuing yet another ambition as well seems hardly wise.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Keep it simple. My biggest fun was just to change sprites inside a project (which just require some renaming, really) and playing as, i dunno, the Blood tommygun instead of the chaingun, the powerslave revolver and so on. Coding is fun when you do it as a hobby. =p
CappnRob

Post by CappnRob »

So, I have this weird problem...

Any time I pick up a mask of shadows, my screen goes pitch black and I can't see anything. I'm figuring they're the replacement for invisibility spheres, but I can't well use them if I can't see what I'm doing...

Otherwise fantastic mod, I love me some weird west.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Which renderer are you using?
CappnRob

Post by CappnRob »

I'm guessing you mean the "Change Rendering Output" option

Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

If your hardware just doesn't support it, try turning off "Vision Effects" under "Optimization" in the mod options.
CappnRob

Post by CappnRob »

D'oh! I can't believe I missed that. it's weird, though. The voodoo potion that replaces the berserk pack doesn't give me any visual problems, just the mask of shadows.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

The short of the matter is that the Mask of Shadows uses gross hacks in order to give the visual effect.
An animated texture is set as a camera for the player's vision, and then using ACS several HudMessages using the texture are layered at different positions on the screen, effectively having the player's vision look out four differently-sized differently-aimed slightly-transparent cameras at once. And then the player's vision is colormapped greyscale, which through the four transparent cameras provides a nice desaturated look.

This is 100% not how the feature is intended to be used, but I ain't give a poot.
Unfortunately, this also has the side effect that OpenGL2 does not support it, rendering only a black screen, hence why I included the option.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I just turn the damn thing off, it kills my framerate.
affandede

Post by affandede »

"Monsters are un-touched, allowing people to load with their monster packs or gore systems of choice, or for custom monsters in maps to not break horribly!"

Except that one particular mod's monsters-only offshot. Because...
Spoiler:
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

There was already a little chatter about this. It isn't hard to go and try to make it compatible. But the consequences are worse. Because this very monster pack tends to break everything and each gzdoom build it gets a new way to bring errors due to the spaghetti coding.
affandede

Post by affandede »

Yes, it may break the balance on most maps or have some badly organized coding but these are not legit reasons for making a gameplay mod exclusively incompatible with a monster pack. I remember people losing their minds because You-Know-Who made his mappack incompatible with PB deliberately, just some months ago. You know, sometimes I feel for the villains just by seeing the hate they get.

Nice mod though. I am working on a special hud for Drifter with A COMPLETE MUGSHOT SET. Seems like Doom modding is very easy to get into. I also am working on some mutators like throwing grenades with a hotkey instead of choosing them like every other weapon.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Are you certain that it's broken on purpose, or would said mod be broken anyway due to replacing things a monsters-only mod shouldn't be touching?
affandede

Post by affandede »

You may be right sir. Considering the midget golden skeletons in Demonsteele, I thought that this may also be a product of Mr. Terminus' humor. It seems fitting but it is possible that I am wrong in this matter.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”