High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .500

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mikk-

Re: High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .

Post by Mikk- »

XLightningStormL wrote: The Basilissa points are this:
- My major gripe is that she seems to be a giant 'fan-wank" waifu-type, a sneaky lil comment initialiser doesn't exactly quell my fear of that (int spawnfuck;)
and finally: So canonically is she a "Belgaphor"-type (Hell Knights/Barons Of Hell) or just some generic humanoid waifu?
I've gotta be honest here; does this really impede your enjoyment of the mod that much? Or is this another case of "stop liking what I don't like" bs?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Slightly Off-topic, but this kind of discussion reminds me of Haydee; it made some people upset just because of the protagonist's exposed-thicc look, while others didn't cared about it and played the game without problems. Maybe some designs you look are disturbing or smexy. However, it's not very important nor problematic overall as long it's not controversial in any way despite being attractive. It's just own design to make something more unique and creative. Looks sexually-attractive or not, people will give them an attention if it's not too blend and such.

Well the point is, It's just term's own design. If you don't like it, at least try to respect.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

There are several instances of "int fuck" littered all over this mod's code in actors where Terminus needed short-term variables. I wouldn't take the variable names too personally, bro.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

There is one particularly amusing identifier named "fuckupmyanglesempai".
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Captain J wrote:stuff about Haydee
comparing Basilissa to a blatant fetish doll covered in hardened spunk is a pretty big insult to how good her design is
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

And i don't think i said Haydee is absolutely looks like Basilissa? It's not comparison or anything but an example. Just describing how the topic goes the same. I apologize if i made you upset, tho.

Yes. The thing is i don't like Haydee either.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

XLightningStormL wrote:Seems to act like a Rifle, but the ZActor codes proves that (although It would be nice to see a repeating rifle in there somewhere)
A Henry/Spencer-style repeating rifle would be really interesting to have. Unless Strife compatibility happens (which is a big if) and requires new weapons (which is an even bigger if), though, then there might not be a high chance of it.
But I suppose just for fun, tomorrow I'll start writing up a HND/Strife weapon roster and what all could slot in where.
XLightningStormL wrote:- My major gripe is that she seems to be a giant 'fan-wank" waifu-type, a sneaky lil comment initialiser doesn't exactly quell my fear of that (int spawnfuck;)
Basilissa was designed by an asexual woman, so wanking was probably the last thing on her mind. Likewise, "fuck" is spread everywhere throughout the files as int names, along with "cocks" and other such inventive phrases.
If anime wank-bait is what you're seeing, that's really on you. Which is perfectly fine! Sexuality is a vital part of who we are as people.
XLightningStormL wrote:Also, nice to see some sort of Australian representation, even though that's the most unwild-west thing apart from sci-fi
It definitely seems out of place, doesn't it?
I kind of shrugged and went with it due to not being able to think of a different chainsaw-tier weapon and also because boomerangs would be fun to experiment with in-code. In doing some research about historical boomerangs afterwards, though, it seems boomerangs were not confined specifically to Australia! In fact, it looks like several Native American tribes developed boomerangs entirely independently from aboriginal Australians, called "rabbit sticks". There's an incredible amount of similarity in both design and function.
It's a bit of a happy coincidence, and probably still doesn't help it seem any less of an oddball. But I think it's interesting enough.
Dalse

Post by Dalse »

Hello , Terminus! I have playing this mod for a long time , and I find it very cool how Basilissa hands were done! If you in the mood, can you show how you have done it?

Also, does the primary of the Basilissa skull works like a bfg? Closer you are, more damage is done?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Dalse wrote:Hello , Terminus! I have playing this mod for a long time , and I find it very cool how Basilissa hands were done! If you in the mood, can you show how you have done it?
Basilissa's first person hand sprites are, IIRC, retextured versions of the Baron of Hell's hands from Doom 2016, rendered out in Blender by DrPySpy.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Dalse wrote:Also, does the primary of the Basilissa skull works like a bfg? Closer you are, more damage is done?
I haven't looked at the code but I think so, yeah. This is purely anecdotal but I feel like spider masterminds were far more on fire when I hit them at whipping range compared to when I hit them from further away, and shoving a fireball directly in an enemy's face never seemed to set anyone behind me on fire.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Dalse wrote:Hello , Terminus! I have playing this mod for a long time , and I find it very cool how Basilissa hands were done! If you in the mood, can you show how you have done it?
Kinsie is correct, the sprites were a modelrip of the Baron of Hell's 2016 hands by DrPySpy. I just nicked 'em for my own purposes.
Doom 2016's different HUD graphics for different hands is really, really cool and hopefully we get more of them in the future. The other option is using the Blood alpha monster hands and uhhhhhhhhhhh suffice to say that's a little played out.
Dalse wrote:Also, does the primary of the Basilissa skull works like a bfg? Closer you are, more damage is done?
Yes, the primary fire is basically a flaming BFG clone.
XavierStudios

Post by XavierStudios »

I loaded up Holy Hell for no reason and, upon remembering that it gives you the BFG on the first map, I elected to turn Infinite Basilissa Summon on and go on a rampage. Then, as I am wont to do, I imagined what could be done to improve the depth of the game's existing mechanics. Specifically Basilissa, so stuff like aerial fireball spiking and chaining punches. It was only after I had started leaning into a theoretical feature list that I realized the only enemies you'd practically be able to use them on are only present in sufficient quantities in wads that are very much not normal, wholesome wads. Further, I'm sure these mechanics would be too complicated for the mod as a whole. As such, it's not worth the effort on anyone's part to implement anything.

Kind of a pity, but I still have to thank you, Term et al., for this most elegant of mods. What I have been given I couldn't hope to match in return.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Would be interesting to go through anyway. What sort of features did you have in mind?
XavierStudios

Post by XavierStudios »

Such a sweetheart, humoring the machinations of a hapless idiot. The idea was never to request anything or try my hand at kludging something together, rather a thought experiment to make her less of a power-up and more of a balanced character, but I'll see if I can keep the needlessly complex stuff in check.
  • When throwing a fully charged punch, if you begin charging just as the first impacts, it will accelerate the next full charge. Possibly a 9-tic window just after the punch lands. No new art assets should be required.

If Basilissa is airborne and throwing a fireball, your descent slows and the animation to throw a single fireball is played, but it is placed in front of her. The animation for a whiffed punch on the opposite hand is played which spikes the fireball at high speeds. No new art assets should be required.

Also while airborne, uncharged melee attacks send Basilissa downward and do a stronger ground pound. Partially and fully charged melee attacks make her lunge forward. No new art assets should be required.

Dashing while holding a partially charged fireball ignites enemies near Basilissa during the dash. Dashing with a fully charged fireball does the same and, after impact or stopping, throws the fireball. No new art assets should be required.

Summoning the pentagram and staying within its radius gives you slow health regeneration, bonus defense, bonus damage and allows attacks to charge faster. However, movement speed is markedly reduced. Enemies that enter the radius catch fire and are forced out. Basilissa leaving the radius reduces damage, defense and attack charge speed. No new art assets should be required.

Holding the pentagram button acts like a fireball is charging, but you are given great health regeneration and defense. In exchange, you cannot attack and are immobile until you let it go. Taking too much sustained damage or taking a large hit can break the effect. No new art assets should be required.
While this technically isn't everything I worked up, I don't think a dash melee would be very practical. Then again, depending on the mindset, a few of these wouldn't be practical. You'd have to reduce Basilissa's raw power to make some moves desirable over spamming mouse1. I'm not certain if some parts are feasible, like the attack charge modifiers, but I left them in.

I leave them for you to do with as you please. Use them, change them or bury them. In the end, I'm just happy you were interested enough to ask.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Some of these are pretty interesting ideas. A lot of people have been suggesting a way for Basilissa to do a sort of mid-air ground pound, that would be really fun to work with.

Thank you!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”