High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .500

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Yoshi348

Re: High Noon Drifter v1.1 - Sixguns and Spaghetti

Post by Yoshi348 »

I went through the whole five episodes of Heretic.wad, and I must say the ghost radio seems a little... nuts in this environment? It takes a LOT to take them down; they can just sort of seek and destroy and most of Heretic's bestiary can't really fight back well enough except for the big guns. They just kind of do significant portions of the map FOR you, sometimes even the whole thing. And this is with them replacing the somewhat common Morph Ovum, as well.

The caltrops are super fun, though. I really love them.

I also found a bug, where forced pistol start doesn't clear whether Monteraz is overloaded or not, so you'll pick a Monteraz in the next level and it'll say 2 shells, but it's already overloaded and pressing reload does nothing.
Mr. Mir

Post by Mr. Mir »

I found a bug in Strange Aeons: when I loaded HND 1.1b with SA and the compatibility patch (Strange Aeons - HND - patch) and pick up the boomerang, I don't get the boomerang and only the empty catching hand appears. Pressing the fire button or reload button lowers the hand for a split second. Boomerang works fine in other Doom wads.

GZdoom is version 3.1.0 64bit.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I went through the whole five episodes of Heretic.wad, and I must say the ghost radio seems a little... nuts in this environment? It takes a LOT to take them down; they can just sort of seek and destroy and most of Heretic's bestiary can't really fight back well enough except for the big guns. They just kind of do significant portions of the map FOR you, sometimes even the whole thing. And this is with them replacing the somewhat common Morph Ovum, as well.
The problem here is Heretic enemies are laughably easy to dispatch compared to Doom, even in hordes, and that's without this mod. All of the damage outputs would have to be cut down by like 20-25% for it to be fair against them, but a nerf would make this mod less fun.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Meanwhile, still can't tackle Deus Vult with the drifter. It's just an unfair fight.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Indeed, the Heretic enemies are woefully woefully low on HP--the guns do (1) damage per shot and they still run rampant. The Dead Radio in Heretic is staggeringly broken, it's something I'm going to need to think hard about how to address.

Though in terms of the protagonist's own power, the damage slider and defense slider in Mod Options are a nice little way to address this. They can affect damage and defense values on the fly in order to tone things until you think it's a more balanced level.
One of my favorite things during testing was to set both at 30 and then go through Chillax. For Heretic, a -3 for Damage and -2 for defense seemed to be a relatively fair level. For Deus Vult, I'd suggest somewhere in the 10-15 range for both. Each notch marks an extra 10% increase (or decrease) in their respective areas, so it hopefully shouldn't take long before you find an area you're comfortable with.

Mr. Mir wrote:I found a bug in Strange Aeons: when I loaded HND 1.1b with SA and the compatibility patch (Strange Aeons - HND - patch) and pick up the boomerang, I don't get the boomerang and only the empty catching hand appears. Pressing the fire button or reload button lowers the hand for a split second. Boomerang works fine in other Doom wads.
That's extremely worrying, I thought I'd fixed that. Thank you for letting me know. What map was it on?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I always took adjusting sliders as the same as using cheat codes- something to do only when absolutely necessary. But hey, if it means not getting creamed the instant I begin MAP02...
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

I dunno, making it so that enemies have paper armor, but still hit like a truck is pretty fun.
Asenji

Post by Asenji »

I've been playing with the new Heretic patch and I'm digging the new items you've added. My favorite would have to be the Dead Radio (I especially like how it isn't just three of the same weaponry but there is also a rifle in the mix and they have different sounds and firing speeds) and the implementation of the Caltrops, too. Curious to see how the Holster would operate if it does run on a cooldown.
Mr. Mir

Post by Mr. Mir »

[quote="TerminusEst13"

Mr. Mir wrote:I found a bug in Strange Aeons: when I loaded HND 1.1b with SA and the compatibility patch (Strange Aeons - HND - patch) and pick up the boomerang, I don't get the boomerang and only the empty catching hand appears. Pressing the fire button or reload button lowers the hand for a split second. Boomerang works fine in other Doom wads.
That's extremely worrying, I thought I'd fixed that. Thank you for letting me know. What map was it on?[/quote]

It was on E2M4. Also, I tried spawning extra boomerangs with the console and I am unable to pick them up. Here's a screenshot:

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Ah, I thought I wouldn't need to tweak the patch, but it turns out the Boomerang pickup change affected a bit more than I thought. Sorry about that!

Thanks again, I've fixed and re-uploaded the patch.
Mr. Mir

Post by Mr. Mir »

Thanks, Term! Works just fine now!
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

I'm a lot closer on that Hexen patch now.

I finally figured out all the stuff for the artifact pickup, so I reverse-engineered some artifact fragments to replace the weapon pieces:
Spoiler:
I made them usable inventory instead of the traditional Hexen weapon pieces, but if you try to use a fragment without all three pieces, nothing happens:
Spoiler:
When you manage to get all three pieces, use any of the three pieces and...
Spoiler:
Yaaaay!

Now I just need to fix up the artifact and Basilissa to actually use mana and it'll pretty much be ready.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Magnificent! I'm looking forward to it.
Keep up the good work.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Mega happy to see that happen. Wow, I miss having oodles of free time on my hands- I wanna do a Drifter mod where Basilissa's skull is replaced by Gaster's skull and it randomly summons one of the skelebros. Pickup line? "What in tarnation is this!"
Ego_dragon

Post by Ego_dragon »

Sorry my bad english.
Awesome mod, but when i try to use the whip all screen freezes(only if i actually hit something). It happens in doom2 and heretic, but interesting enough- whip works fine in hexen. Also, when i make some Ctrl+Alt+Del magic, there is no game window(gzdoom.exe still runs). I'm using gzdoom v3.0.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”