Juvenile Power Fantasy v1.1 "Crashing"! (Link Restored)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
potetobloke
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Juvenile Power Fantasy v1.0 "Crash"! (p8)

Post by potetobloke »

Improved pickup sprite for the Double Dosage.

EDIT:

Redid the SPAK-11/SPAS-12.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Juvenile Power Fantasy v1.0 "Crash"! (p8)

Post by Kinsie »

v1.1 - "Crashing" (13/09/2017) - 15.8mb
Changelog wrote:v1.1 - "Crashing" (13/09/2017)
- F1 Help Pages updated with the latest info. Read it, already!
- Tap-fire on SOCOM and RCR is now more accurate, ala original Doom behavior.
- Last few shots of an RCR mag now make a clicking sound as they're fired, as an audible warning that you're about to reload.
- Lost Soul now plays nicer with timey-wimey stuff.
- D'Sparil and Maulotaur now respect the Monster Rockets mutator.
- Baron and Spider attacks now have appropriately-coloured smoke.
- The Sabreclaw's attack is now a little different.
- Added missing VFX to the Iron Lich's blue orb attack.
- Fixed monsters not dropping ammo when gibbed.
- Fixed alignment of date in changelog menu because I'm good at this.
Gideon020

Re: Juvenile Power Fantasy v1.1 "Crashing"! (p10)

Post by Gideon020 »

And right as Ultimate Torment And Torture releases it's own 'vaccinated' edition. Sweet.
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

This mod is awesome, every weapon has good feedback (though the shotgun could use a bit more kick, soundwise), the enemies are challenging, and the general gameplay is quite fun.

Perhaps a bit too challenging. Trying to play on normal, some more closed and crowded encounters tend to be near impossible to succeed at without some adrenaline. The last encounter on map02 of Community Chest 4 is one good example, I spent a good 30 minutes on THAT ENCOUNTER ALONE until I could escape (AND ALL I COULD DO WAS ESCAPE) and it cost me two, not one, but two adrenaline shots to do so. Perhaps tone down some enemy/projectile speeds or make a mutator for this. Everything being fast, while cool, is some cause for frustration in certain encounters.

Another suggestion would be to add more weapons. I really like the idea of only being able to carry one weapon per slot (as it adds a layer of strategy to gameplay), but it only gets used with the shotguns.

An ootion to turn down particle effects could also be nice, cause I noticed framrate can drop when lots of projectiles are flying around on screen (though it seems like only the arachnotrons' projectiles have this effect.)

It would also be nice if your weapon could be fired immediately after a melee? (There is a small delay, but given the nature of the mod, this delay is still too much)

Edit (for the thousandth time): That downtime with the melee has already been addressed, it just takes a bit of timing.
Last edited by Chloroxite on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gadosen

Post by Gadosen »

Gideon020 wrote:And right as Ultimate Torment And Torture releases it's own 'vaccinated' edition. Sweet.
Where can I find it?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Gadosen wrote:Where can I find it?
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=57854
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

Found a bad bug. "Monster strats" is broken in the sense that it cannot be turned off or else simply getting seen by an enemy crashes the game. I am using the latest stable build of GZDoom. Turning it off then starting a new game ALSO crashed GZDoom.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

It's just imps that seem to be doing that.
Edit: And it seems it's not even being seen, it's when the imp attacks that it crashes.
Last edited by phantombeta on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

phantombeta wrote:It's just imps that seem to be doing that.
Edit: And it seems it's not even being seen, it's when the imp attacks that it crashes.
After further testing I did find that out myself. Quite annoying to be honest. Though i could do without it if (or rather when) a speed mutator gets added so I can slow enemies down.
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

Actually, nevermind, it happens when they're in the See state.

The imps lack a "SeeNoBrains" state, and in the 'SeeAvoid" state they jump to "See" if "Monster strats" is off.
Since it had to jump to "SeeDodgy" to get to "SeeAvoid" before, it'll jump back to "SeeDodgy" then to "SeeAvoid" again in an infinite loop.
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

phantombeta wrote:Actually, nevermind, it happens when they're in the See state.

The imps lack a "SeeNoBrains" state, and in the 'SeeAvoid" state they jump to "See" if "Monster strats" is off.
Since it had to jump to "SeeDodgy" to get to "SeeAvoid" before, it'll jump back to "SeeDodgy" then to "SeeAvoid" again in an infinite loop.
Yeah well in that case I suppose GZDoom crashing is better than it causing your entire game to lag horribly.
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

Uhhh. No, that can't happen. It keeps jumping back and forth in a single tic, without allowing anything else to happen, which is why it crashes.
Meanwhile, if it DID happen in different tics it wouldn't crash and nothing would lag. The most that would happen is that the imps would get permanently stuck doing nothing at all.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Reuploaded with fixes. Thanks for finding this bizarre mess-up on my part.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

the mod's running full speed now, thanks for fixing that!
Exosphere

Post by Exosphere »

Really fun mod, and very smooth too. However, might have found a bug.

I was playing through Lud's 20 Monster Community Pack and when I got to MAP13, I couldn't activate a red switch even after I picked it up the red key card. Neither versions 1.0 and 1.1 worked, however, when tested with other mods (Guncaster, ModOhFun!, and Russian Overkill to be precise) the switch worked. Lud mentioned that it might be a script error with the map, but I just thought I would bring this to your attention.

Still a fun little mod.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”