Juvenile Power Fantasy v1.1 "Crashing"! (Link Restored)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Asenji

Re: Juvenile Power Fantasy v1.0 "Crash"! (p8)

Post by Asenji »

I've been having a lot of fun with this mod. I like how you're playing as some military soldier and have real weaponry but also access to unconventional/weirder weapons (the Ark being my personal favorite). The mod has been more enjoyable with the new Hell Knight nerf which originally made some areas straight up frustrating (namely particular levels which only provided you with a shotgun). The humor and references to EDGE are also really nice.

The only complaint I have is the inability to immediately melee tased enemies and maybe the SOCOM could be a bit more accurate. On the subject of the SOCOM, the mutator that provides infinite ammo for it could use an infinite symbol in place of where it would display the max amount of bullets but that is just a small suggestion. Overall, loving it and looking forward to future updates!
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

Man, game is hard. I mean, that's the point, and I absolutely respect that, but man, I'm definitely gonna turn down the difficulty the next time I give it a whirl. Mission accomplished, though, especially since it's a unique kind of hard instead of just higher numbers.

As for what I noticed balance wise, keep in mind that I might just be being bad here, or not thinking of something, but... I did notice that you run out of bullet ammo really quickly. I definitely had trouble keeping the machine gun loaded, and MAP01 on hard generally ends up with you out of bullets until you can make it to the shotgun secret. This may or may not be a feature because it's definitely workable, but it's something that's happening so if you weren't intending that, now you know! And it might get a little worse on non-stock maps where people generally put less bullets around because it's usually the most niche weapon.

One thing that it does cause, though, is that it's hard to justify carrying the Double Dosage around when it leaves you without a workhorse weapon that works at range and has sufficient ammo. That's the kind of thing that can be fixed with more weapons, though, and I assume you're gonna make some because otherwise why implement the slot thing.

I could very well be missing something but the plasma gun seems quite... useless. Its slow rate of fire makes it worse at hitstun than the machine gun but it doesn't pack enough oomph to be useful against a baron speeding at you at a hundred miles per hour. It probably does the same dps as the base plasma but you don't have time to just hose the enemy down like you would in normal Doom, and it doesn't help that you can outright stunlock people with rockets.

Definitely love the work you put into the invisibility to make it Actually a Powerup; I was really scared going into Dead Simple but the 4 blurspheres there were very powerful.
Techokami
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Techokami »

Protip 1: Melee doesn't alert enemies. So to conserve health and ammo in MAP01, punch the first two guys dead instead. The TAZOR will alert enemies, so be careful!
Protip 2: Use infighting to your advantage! Yes, the AI is tougher in this mod, and the enemies put their backs into it, but they can still be tricked into going at each other's throats.
Protip 3: Dodge is your friend! Not only does it make you avoid damage, but it makes you go hella fast. You can grab the Super Armor in the start of MAP03 and not alert any of the monsters in the closet that opens immediately afterwards with a well-timed forward dodge. It can also be used mid-air as a sort of double jump.
Protip 4: Use your damn inventory items! Hoarding them will not help when you are at critical health and need to use that portable medkit now. Coward's Way Out will teleport you back to the start of the map, making it very useful for backtracking quickly. HE Grenades can be tossed in an arc to go over barriers. Adrenaline Pills will buy you precious seconds of time to breathe and get out of a bad situation. Jetpacks will let you break the map for fun and profit by giving you flight mode! These are the tools you are given to take on the high difficulty of this mod. Don't just hoard them, USE THEM!
Ronan10G8

Post by Ronan10G8 »

i just played a little bit of this mod and i absolutely love how chaotic it is, great job, kinsie
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Finally got around to devoting serious playtime to this and it was very positive. I only had a few problems with it, such as canceling reloads when my gun is empty, having to manually reload the ssg after every shot, and being able to begin a reload when you have a full mag already. Nothing deal breaking but issues nonetheless.
4 helper dogs is not enough :P
mentha

Post by mentha »

I have some little niggling issues with this mod that is very hard and gives me invincible doggers. Thanks for the dogs, I can't play without one!

I like the weapons, but they don't seem to respect my cross hair. Its a pet peeve when bullets don't go where my green dot says they should go. Inaccuracy is one thing, but several weapons have no vertical difference in shots whatsoever, but they all go a significant bit under the cross hair. Further, as nice as the super shotgun is, I've personally never found much reason to use it, seeing as switching to it requires me to drop the spas-12 with its superior vertical accuracy, and the pistol and machine gun run out of ammunition considerably faster for their per shot damage. I do use the super shotgun, but i tend to use it more as a quick pick up to deal with a monster closet with some revenants or something in it before getting the other shotgun back.

The power ups are cool, but having an entire screen go red and stay red for the rest of the level makes things a little harder. Is there an option to lower that in gzdooms settings? If not maybe you could put an option for a little icon in the corner instead of the world being all the same color? That would be super cool.

Overall these aren't game breaking issues. I understand if you don't get around to changing anything, as I really like this as is.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Congratulations, Kinsie.

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Now we can enjoy our fantasy, i see. :P
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

adun87 wrote:I like the weapons, but they don't seem to respect my cross hair. Its a pet peeve when bullets don't go where my green dot says they should go. Inaccuracy is one thing, but several weapons have no vertical difference in shots whatsoever, but they all go a significant bit under the cross hair.
The vanilla Doom weapons also seem to fire under the crosshair. JPF's are a little lower, so I'll see if I can poke it. No promises, mind.
adun87 wrote:Further, as nice as the super shotgun is, I've personally never found much reason to use it, seeing as switching to it requires me to drop the spas-12 with its superior vertical accuracy, and the pistol and machine gun run out of ammunition considerably faster for their per shot damage. I do use the super shotgun, but i tend to use it more as a quick pick up to deal with a monster closet with some revenants or something in it before getting the other shotgun back.
I don't really like the idea of the SSG as the Weapon That Renders Every Other Weapon Obsolete, so I like to make it more situational. I may have over-corrected, but hopefully it'll find its place as more alternate weapons get implemented.
adun87 wrote:The power ups are cool, but having an entire screen go red and stay red for the rest of the level makes things a little harder. Is there an option to lower that in gzdooms settings? If not maybe you could put an option for a little icon in the corner instead of the world being all the same color? That would be super cool.
None of the powerups last the rest of the level, IIRC. Pure Rock Fury lasts for about a minute before fading away. If it's not fading away, then that's a problem. What engine version are you using?

In other news, after a bit of a break I've opened up SLADE again and have been fixing issues for a planned v1.1, such as green attacks emitting yellow smoke and Heretic bosses not respecting the Monster Rockets mutator. It's all pretty minor, fiddly stuff so far, so if anyone has any detailed bug reports I'd very much appreciate it!

Once I get v1.1 out I plan on starting some new alternate weapons. The first will likely be the flamethrower, since I want to rehaul a couple of monsters like the Heretic Beast to use it and a general-purpose fire system will be useful for other stuff.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Any chance of a Desert Eagle as an alternate pistol pickup/mutator? Desert Eagle pretty much screams Power Fantasy right there. :D
potetobloke
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by potetobloke »

Will there be an obligatory minigun?

Because I'm pretty sure that also screams power fantasy.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Given the implementation of a one-weapon limit, I don't see why not. Given that it's loosely based on Corey Whittle works, Uzis and a grenade launcher might make it in too.
Gabbuz85

Post by Gabbuz85 »

Gideon020 wrote:Any chance of a Desert Eagle as an alternate pistol pickup/mutator? Desert Eagle pretty much screams Power Fantasy right there. :D
like this? by HMNuke93

Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I see it, and it is glorious.

EDIT: You know, now that I think about it, I'd think I'd prefer to see this gain Strife compatibility before Hexen. Just saying, there's not much out there for Strife.
mentha

Post by mentha »

Kinsie wrote: The vanilla Doom weapons also seem to fire under the crosshair. JPF's are a little lower, so I'll see if I can poke it. No promises, mind.
I didn't know that about vanilla doom weapons! Its the crosshair being inaccurate then!
Kinsie wrote: (...) hopefully it'll find its place as more alternate weapons get implemented.
If more weapons get added, it'll probably find a good place. If not, and/or if you feel like it, you can resort to rebalancing it.
Kinsie wrote:If it's not fading away, then that's a problem. What engine version are you using?
its fading, i misspoke. its a niggle anyway.

I feel I can't say enough how good a mod this is.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”