Karnak - Gameplay Mod for Heretic/Hexen/Deathkings

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Re: Karnak - Heretic Mod

Post by ImpieTwo »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Really interesting stuff! Heretic gameplay mods are a bit of a rarity and I'm always fond of them.
This really goes above and beyond in giving Heretic a new sheen of paint--putting in custom textures and music was a really nice touch. :D

...boy that melee feels really slow, though!
Thanks man! I thought about speeding up the melee again but i was worried about the player being too powerful. I might speed it up just a hair though.

I've been working on a Hexen equivalent, but it's slowgoing.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Just tried playing it now. Hot diggity you just got rid of the bullet sponge spam and made Heretic fun.

Gauntlets seem a little OP against the leonids though. Maybe lower their pain rate a bit?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I've been making adjustments while building and testing Karnak 2 for Hexen. The machete will have different speed and damage for each of the four swing variations, for example. Might adjust some monster health a bit too.

Karnak 2 doesn't have a story yet, but it takes you to the homeland of the Crimson Witches, so there are a couple new variants of those guys. As I said, it's the same for Hexen as Karnak is for Heretic. Swapping tiles is proving more difficult this time around, but there are some new enemies as well as the old, you get more than four weapons, and there are three different heroes to play as, each with unique starting and ultimate weapons (some of which are still in development). Maa'hes is the main dude again, and this time the GodHand is his ultimate weapon: it's been souped up since his first adventure so it always fires three beams, and the powered up version is insanely deadly. The weapons mostly use mana for ammo, but the Tripod Cannon serves as a backup gun with its own ammo reserve dropped by common enemies.
making4

Post by making4 »

Just registered an account to say that this is fantastic! It really makes Heretic fresh again.

Any chance of a sprite replacement for the weak red flying demon in a future release? Some sort of harpy-esque monster would be neat, or even just a swap with the similar enemy from Hexen, which I feel suits your aesthetic better.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

making4 wrote:Just registered an account to say that this is fantastic! It really makes Heretic fresh again.

Any chance of a sprite replacement for the weak red flying demon in a future release? Some sort of harpy-esque monster would be neat, or even just a swap with the similar enemy from Hexen, which I feel suits your aesthetic better.
Thanks! I kinda liked the gargoyles as they were but I might make them into some kind of demonic bird thing.
mekanchest

Post by mekanchest »

Image hey ImpieTwo something like this are you saying ???, i made this edit
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

mekanchest wrote:Image hey ImpieTwo something like this are you saying ???, i made this edit
lol nice work man. Although I was thinking I would take the Bird Imp heads, edit them, and put them on the gargoyle bodies.

Just a thought though. Dunno if I'll actually do it or not. I got so much crap going on over here it's ridiculous.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Kinda want to suggest shopping out the forelimbs and having them peck you...
ImpieTwo

Re: Karnak - Gameplay Mod for Heretic/Hexen/Deathkings

Post by ImpieTwo »

Updated and released. Karnak is a trilogy of pk3 files that change Heretic, Hexen, and Deathkings into a sci-fi fantasy epic. Check it out!
TFP

Post by TFP »

Just finished playing it with terra incognita last night and I gotta say, this was a pretty fun mod to play through. The enemies and weapons really do make it feel like a different style from heretic. My only gripe with some the weapons is that they don't really feel too different when the tome of power is activated, aside from the magic weapons, the other weapons don't feel too much different, was this intentional since they don't use magic or no? Can't wait to play through Hexen with this. Hope to see more good work from you.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

TFP wrote:Just finished playing it with terra incognita last night and I gotta say, this was a pretty fun mod to play through. The enemies and weapons really do make it feel like a different style from heretic. My only gripe with some the weapons is that they don't really feel too different when the tome of power is activated, aside from the magic weapons, the other weapons don't feel too much different, was this intentional since they don't use magic or no? Can't wait to play through Hexen with this. Hope to see more good work from you.
The guns aren't changed at all. Their description explains that due to being mechanical in nature, the tome doesn't affect them. It only affects magic weapons and Maa'hes himself.
TFP

Post by TFP »

Ah ok, thanks for answering.

And also now done with a playthrough of Hexen with this Mod (Which was fun to do aside from the problems Hexen has) and i will say it was fun to playthrough it with Gilgamesh. Melee was fun to use and the Ult weapon was really great to play around with. The only gripe I had was with some of the attacks on the witches being a pain to deal with (though that might just be me sucking at dodging) and the damage of the Heresiarch replacement's attacks (mainly the homing and ground crawling fire balls) taking off a bit more than necessary but again that might just be me.

Also there appears to be some kind of issue with Ren's player sprites not showing up in game and on the class select, her sprites only show a glitchy colored crouching sprite of another character. Also what are the stats of each of the classes?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

TFP wrote: Also there appears to be some kind of issue with Ren's player sprites not showing up in game and on the class select, her sprites only show a glitchy colored crouching sprite of another character. Also what are the stats of each of the classes?
That shouldn't be happening. I don't know why it would do that.

Maa'hes is essentially the cleric stat-wise, Gilgamesh the Fighter, Ren the Mage, so they all have their class's respective speed, jump, and armor benefit stats.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

ImpieTwo wrote: That shouldn't be happening. I don't know why it would do that.
Could be because her sprites aren't in the class defining wad?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Somagu wrote:
ImpieTwo wrote: That shouldn't be happening. I don't know why it would do that.
Could be because her sprites aren't in the class defining wad?
It never made a difference when I ran it. Everything looks as it should.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”