Uber Artifacts (Enhanced Powerups!) New: Mega&Zerk!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Spaceman333

Uber Artifacts (Enhanced Powerups!) New: Mega&Zerk!

Post by Spaceman333 »

I kept feeling dissapointment with the regular powerup items, so I enhanced their capabilities to be always worth the effort it often takes to find them in a map. A simple, tiny but sweet mod to enhance gameplay and give powerups the oomph they were missing.

ORIGINAL:
UberArtifacts.pk3
Original version, only replaces 5 powerups as pictured.
(119.43 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Soulsphere
Gives 300 health, 2 minutes of enhanced movement speed and make monsters scared.

Blursphere
Gives 99% stealth, boosts jump, movement speed and double firerate for weapons. 2 minutes of being the Predator!

Goggles
2 minutes of night vision, map is revealed and you will see monsters actively tracked in the automap for the rest of the level.

Radsuit
3 minutes of hazard floor protection, 50% reduced damage from all sources, immunity against explosions and some damage is reflected back at the attacker.

Invulnurability Sphere
Become the ultimate devastator for 3 minutes. 2x damage, 2x firerate, 2x speed, 2x jumpheight, 300 health and Godmode.

EXTENDED VERSION (Credits: dljosef, thank you!)
UberA2.pk3
Extended version by dljosef, replaces 7 powerups, adding megasphere and berserker to the list! (updated 1.1)
(146.84 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Megasphere
Gives 999 health and 999 armor of 100% protection as well as 2 minutes of 75% damage reduction.

Berserker
Unleash the Ragezerker for 1 minute of total annihilation! 4x damage, 2x firerate, 2x speed, enemy health drain, infinite ammo and 100 health.

All powerups feature new sound effects, screen color filters and activation messages.

Credits
Pillowblaster for sound effects from Russian Overkill and Paink1ller for Project Brutality's radsuit sprite.
dljosef for the extended edition that adds megasphere and berserker.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Spaceman333 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Uber Artifacts (Enhanced Powerups!)

Post by hoover1979 »

Niiiiiice! :mrgreen:
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I think adjusting the Radsuit makes maps designed with them in mind a little too easy. Radsuits are common where they are needed and you are given sufficient if not more than sufficient amounts of them per level by the map maker. It's best you don't increase the duration or do it less than you've done now. Keeping the reduced damage would be cool, though. Or, idk. Leave it overpowered. I just got a different impression from the description you gave it as it kinda looks like you're saying it's a gameplay enhancement instead of an OP mod like Russian Overkill.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Someone64 wrote:I think adjusting the Radsuit makes maps designed with them in mind a little too easy. Radsuits are common where they are needed and you are given sufficient if not more than sufficient amounts of them per level by the map maker. It's best you don't increase the duration or do it less than you've done now. Keeping the reduced damage would be cool, though. Or, idk. Leave it overpowered. I just got a different impression from the description you gave it as it kinda looks like you're saying it's a gameplay enhancement instead of an OP mod like Russian Overkill.
I might be a slow player, but I've always found these items last far too short of a duration for me. Sometimes it feels like it barely made a difference whether I picked a powerup or not.

I deliberately play to get 100% completion on a level on the first go, so I tend to go slow and explore every nook and cranny a level has to offer. I also try my best not to die at all costs, so exploring hazardous looking places to find secrets or extras seems far too strained when the rad suit's default duration is so tight.

Some maps may also be very stingy with these thing, making the above issue even worse, especially if it happens to be a visually interesting place to explore otherwise.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

What about enhanced powerup equivalents for the Megasphere and the Berserk Pack?

I imagine something like that would be a real godsend in those slaughtermaps...or for those playing with Colourful Hell without Trailblazer.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

dljosef wrote:What about enhanced powerup equivalents for the Megasphere and the Berserk Pack?

I imagine something like that would be a real godsend in those slaughtermaps...or for those playing with Colourful Hell without Trailblazer.
I play the gameplay mod Call of Doom that already replaces those two items, so there wasn't a need for me to replace those two. If you want to release your own version of this mod that includes those and any other items too, then you're cleared to do so.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

Spaceman333 wrote:I play the gameplay mod Call of Doom that already replaces those two items, so there wasn't a need for me to replace those two. If you want to release your own version of this mod that includes those and any other items too, then you're cleared to do so.
Since you post it for everyone, make a complete set is quite actual. :)
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Here's my two additions to the items: uber megasphere and uber ragezerker pack.

For Colourful Hell in particular, if you decide to play it with Legendoom.
Attachments
UberA2.pk3
(146.88 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

dljosef wrote:Here's my two additions to the items: uber megasphere and uber ragezerker pack.

For Colourful Hell in particular, if you decide to play it with Legendoom.
Sweet, added to the first post with full credits. Thank you for making and sharing this! :D
dljosef

Re: Uber Artifacts (Enhanced Powerups!) New: Mega&Zerk!

Post by dljosef »

Here's a quick update. Got the Uber armor for the megasphere working properly now.

I'll leave the backpack alone, though.
Attachments
UberA2.pk3
Uber Armor for the megasphere works now.
(146.84 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, I owe you some credit - I looked at your powerups and realized there was a simpler way to give speed and jump boosts to the player without ACS fuckery (as it turns out, PowerSpeed and PowerHighJump just multiply existing values, so ACS scripts that change Player.Forward/SideMove and Player.JumpZ continue to function, albeit with multipliers from powerups).

Basically...thanks!
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

dljosef wrote:Here's a quick update. Got the Uber armor for the megasphere working properly now.
Got it, updated to first post.

@TheRailgunner: Thank you! :D
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Anyways, any suggestions for those powerups, lemme know. Considering how powerful the ragezerker pack is, one minute's usually enough to tear apart some of those bosses of Colourful Hell.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

dljosef wrote:Anyways, any suggestions for those powerups, lemme know. Considering how powerful the ragezerker pack is, one minute's usually enough to tear apart some of those bosses of Colourful Hell.
Funnily enough, I'm actually very pleased with the balance.

At first, when I saw "999/999 hp/armor and sweet jesus quad damage", I thought to myself "no way, this is probably way too OP". I didn't change the values when I was fixing the mod because I respected you to have done so for a good reason. I also heard Colorful Hell is hard as steel balls, so I thought it was probably justified for that purpose anyway. (Haven't played CH yet myself, still waiting on the gibs for all monsters and also got other playthroughs going on.)

However, I then tried playing it on kinsie's test map, then on slaughter-esque oblige 7.666 mapset and I was surprised that to find myself thinking "No wait, this is totally ok. This is actually perfect".

The one minute for the berserker balances it all out and gives me the fun experience to just hold down the fire button to rush through as many rooms as I can before it runs out. I can forget about ammo management and my personal safety thanks to infammo and drain, respectively. Thats really fun.

Same for megasphere, it gives me the freedom to be reckless and waste HP freely for two minutes, allowing me to tank hits to aggressively take down a tough threat. Its not godmode, so it isn't above invulsphere powerup, making it totally fine. Again, it makes this powerup fun too.

The original goal of the mod was to extend the time the powerups stay on, so I wouldn't have to panic and scramble to propely make use of them or end up never using them because I couldn't find a good moment to go back and grab them before the level was over. I want to grab them when I see them and have some relaxation in using them more freely, hence why the powerup times are 2 or 3 minutes. Zerk being one minute exception to this makes sense since its about RAGE thematically, a state of anger that burns bright, but burns out very fast before things return to normal.

I also wanted the powerups to be more fun and special in some way, emphasising on a particular experience, hence why the badass sound effects and cool names for the states, like Frightener, Predator, Devastator and HEV suit. I like how you stayed true to that and made zerk and mega follow that idea.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

You should make a megathread compiling all your powerup add-ons! I find the Omni-Shield addon extremely useful.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”