Slomo Bullettime Ultimate (Universal Addon) [R3.1c fix]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Slomo Bullettime Ultimate (Universal Addon) [R3 Real Dea

Post by kadu522 »

Well i think that the hit slo-mo should use the normal poll since by that time you want slo-mo on anyway to well... live :lol:

Also the death slo-mo should be permanent or a specific time frame (say 5 real time seconds).

This removes the need for a secondary poll and by consequence 50% less code (me thinks).
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Finaly a can walkthrough okuplok/holly_hell/other sunder with sf2011/etc, without TAS, by hand.

And yes, at some setting timefreeze dont start. I think its because too short time to react for script.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

A quick progress update.

I've figured out the design and code of the new features and written it down, so now all that is left is a sanity check through 500 lines of code to make sure there are no mistakes and then I can start testing it ingame.
Spoiler: glorious spaghetti hell
IRL has been busy for me in the last days, so don't expect a release too fast. I'm doing this in my free time whenever I can.
kadu522 wrote:Well i think that the hit slo-mo should use the normal poll since by that time you want slo-mo on anyway to well... live :lol:

Also the death slo-mo should be permanent or a specific time frame (say 5 real time seconds).

This removes the need for a secondary poll and by consequence 50% less code (me thinks).
Nah, doing that would have some design flaws that would make the mod crappy. What if I use up all my slomo points and then die? Suddenly death slomo has no slomo points to use for its dramatic effect. Same for all the others, it would create conflicts that would break the mod's enjoyability factor.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Testing? Woooo, that means that release might not be that far off.
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

Well i actualy never said that the death slo-mo uses the normal poll there is no point.

i talked expecificly about the "you where hit slo-mo".
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Man, I'm getting swarmed by IRL lately. I really want to complete this update, but I just can't seem to catch a break lately. Its still relatively high priority up there on task list of things I want to complete and I don't think I'll put it off for more than a couple weeks, but IRL got me very busy by surprise for the time being.

I still got you on my mind Silentdarkness12 & kadu522. I feel sad I can't get around to completing this sooner, but I assure you I haven't forgotten about this.
Silentdarkness12

It's gonna be hard to play Doom without this addon lel.

Appreciate being remembered. I'll keep waiting.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Spaceman333 wrote:Man, I'm getting swarmed by IRL lately. I really want to complete this update, but I just can't seem to catch a break lately. Its still relatively high priority up there on task list of things I want to complete and I don't think I'll put it off for more than a couple weeks, but IRL got me very busy by surprise for the time being.
Definitely feel you on that my friend. Weeks can turn into months, but we're patient so don't sweat it. This is DOPE AFFFFFF btw, nice work.
Frozsoul

Post by Frozsoul »

Hi Spaceman333,

First of all, just wanted to say that I am a huge fan of your addon! Thank you for your time and dedication to it!

I've been reading comments about conditions upon which slow motion would automatically activate, and I was wondering if you had ever played Perfect Dark and it's Smart Slow Motion option? It was an awesome multi-player option where slow motion only occurs when you are sufficiently close to another player or simulant in combat mode. Otherwise, action moves at a brisk pace. For DOOM, I can see it activating automatically when you are sufficiently close to an enemy, or perhaps to just an alerted enemy.

Also, not sure if it is possible to reduce the speed of weapon switching and reloading while slow-motion is active? That's the way it works in Perfect Dark's Smart Slow Motion and it really gives that slo-mo feel to everything happening.

Thanks
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

Excuse me if this has been asked already, but I'm really loving this mod since it bridges the gap between Doom and F.E.A.R., a game I love dearly.

One feature that would be great to have would be to lower the sound effect pitch in relation to the slowdown, but I'm guessing this is not trivial?
armymen12002003
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Nice job with this been currently playing this with wolfenstein infinity and epic 2
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

IRL is busier than ever and only now this week I managed to see if I could quickly complete the new version, since all it needed was testing.

Nope.

Turns out it has a whole host of new problems that require extensive troubleshooting, testing and fixing, including the new control method too.
  • New control system works, but has a new unique problem; I can freely set the flag for slomo to turn on while its not supposed to be activated, meaning slomo could be on cooldown, I hit slomo on button during cooldown, then as the cooldown completes the slomo will turn on right away automatically.
  • Main slomo and secondary slomo points are mixed up together.
  • Secondary slomo does not turn off properly.
  • Secondary slomo hud has lots of bugs and missing details to make it work right.
  • Smooth slomo movement requires a rework in how its handled within the code. Currently it has the same issue of being staggered like the freeze movement option.
  • Smooth slomo movement is also subpar as a whole, requiring all manner of wierd compensating balancing of various player parameters (walk speed, jump height, gravity, air control, weight) to achieve that hard to achieve smooth slowed down movement effect.
  • There is also a code oversight somewhere in the script that can cause the whole system to stop working for the remainder of the level I'm playing on.
The only part I'm happy about is that I got it to compile with GDCC and some of the features sort of work, thought in a poor way.
IRL is still ramping up to be crazy that I'll need to fully focus on that, so I'm going to be putting this project on hiatus for the time being. Its too complicated for me to handle with so much things going on in my life at the moment.

This the latest (broken) test version so far:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hJHtD ... PsKhIgXQzg
I'm only posting it if anyone feels brave enough to try to fix it while I deal with IRL. If you expect a fully polished mod, then avoid downloading this. It loads without crashing, but is broken in many way as listed above. Just use the regular R3 available in the OP for now.
PooshhMao wrote:One feature that would be great to have would be to lower the sound effect pitch in relation to the slowdown, but I'm guessing this is not trivial?
Depends if future version of GZDoom add the ability to override the sound reverb globally. Afaik the current version does not have this feature, so it not doable.
Frozsoul wrote:I've been reading comments about conditions upon which slow motion would automatically activate, and I was wondering if you had ever played Perfect Dark and it's Smart Slow Motion option? It was an awesome multi-player option where slow motion only occurs when you are sufficiently close to another player or simulant in combat mode. Otherwise, action moves at a brisk pace. For DOOM, I can see it activating automatically when you are sufficiently close to an enemy, or perhaps to just an alerted enemy.

Also, not sure if it is possible to reduce the speed of weapon switching and reloading while slow-motion is active? That's the way it works in Perfect Dark's Smart Slow Motion and it really gives that slo-mo feel to everything happening.
I've seen a similar feature in Soldat (2d multiplayer shooter game). In a multiplayer scenario, I felt it was more of a gimmick that was rarely used after the initial novelty wore off. Meanwhile in Doom's singleplayer with hundreds of monsters, encounters with varying range, setup and pace... I think the feature would do more harm than good for sustained play.

As for weapons switching and reload, unfortunately no, that one is one possible if the gameplay/weapon mod itself decides to do that natively, hand-crafting each frame to work in a slomo mode. Theres no easy programmatic way to make this work.
Silentdarkness12

Well, that stings.

(don't suppose there's any chance that someone else can fix up the test version?)

EDIT: Just tested the newer, more broken things out. The test version is fully usable for normal purposes far as I can see, you should just never activate anything having to do with the Secondary Pool.
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

Well time to bump this tread :D

After playing with HD (Hideus destructor) mod. i noticed that useing weapon state keys for slo-mo way cause some problems with more complex mods.

While the mod itself works perfectly with no problems (useing the current stable) it has key overlap since all the guns in HD use all weapon-states in some way.
So is it posible to move the slo-mo to a exclusive key just for it. this would avoid control overlap problems.

I'm still useing this mod actively and i would love futher suport on this. :wub:
m8f

Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Hi!
First, Spaceman333, thank you for making your addons! Monster Scouter was the first thing that I began tinkering with, so I can say that you, without knowing it, led me into modding.

Second, I propose a feature to Slomo Bullettime: external activation:
Spoiler:
What will this feature bring? Two things:
1. Possibility to add custom keybindings.
2. Cross-mod support. With this new CVar, some other mod, if it is loaded alongside, could toggle Slomo Bullettime in some suitable moments.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”