Slomo Bullettime Ultimate (Universal Addon) [R3.1c fix]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Slomo Bullettime Ultimate (Universal Addon) [R3 Real Dea

Post by wildweasel »

Doctrine Gamer wrote:So it's possible to run more than one Wad in GZDoom?
When I want to play another wad I usually have to create another GZDoom folder or delete what I already have.
I've always wanted to know this because I do not know how to use several wads at the same time.
Sorry to have nothing to do with the topic but I always had this doubt.
I recommend a launcher like ZDE or RocketLauncher. This will let you not only load multiple WAD files, but also adjust the load order.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

wildweasel wrote:
When I want to play another wad I usually have to create another GZDoom folder or delete what I already have.
I've always wanted to know this because I do not know how to use several wads at the same time.
I recommend a launcher like ZDE or RocketLauncher. This will let you not only load multiple WAD files, but also adjust the load order.
Thanks! I'll go look for them right away. :D
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Doctrine Gamer wrote:
wildweasel wrote:
Thanks! I'll go look for them right away. :D
Yes, it is totally possible to run multiple wads, pk7 and pk3 all at once. There are many methods to do this, like using ZDL or similar launchers, but I personally do not like those methods. I use text autoloading via gzdoom-username.ini instead, you can learn about that here: https://zdoom.org/wiki/How_to_autoload_files

I basically have notepad++ open with gzdoom-username.ini and a special constantly maintained GZDoom Launch Configuration file at all times, like so:

Whenever I want to switch up whatever mod setup I want to play, I just copy-paste the necessary lines from the Launch Configurations file and into the gzdoom.ini file. Very flexible, easy and fast. Its supported by an organized folder setup, so that no folder is too crowded.
You can download my gzdoom launch config file if you want an easy template the start from:
!GZD33 Launch Configurations.txt
My personal GZDoom autoload launch configurations text file. Copy paste the lines into gzdoom.ini to quickly set up whatever mods in whatever order you want.
(11.73 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Many thanks Spaceman333, I'm very grateful, I'll test here. :D
I also want to say that your mod is fantastic, it has become essential for me, for the fun it provides. :wub:
Thanks again for your help. :thumb:
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Some suggestions for additional options:

Slo mo automatically activates for a specified amount of time when your health goes below a specified amount (regardless of cooldown)
Slo mo automatically activates when you die
Slo mo automatically activates for a specified duration every time you get hit (but won't get extended if you get hit while in slo mo)
Slo mo automatically activates for a specified period when your health goes ABOVE a specified amount (could turn soul spheres into slo mo powerups if you pick them up at full health if you set the activation health to 200 for example)
Slo mo automatically activates every time an enemy dies (probably a horrible idea)
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Someone64 wrote:Some suggestions for additional options:

1. Slo mo automatically activates for a specified amount of time when your health goes below a specified amount (regardless of cooldown)
2. Slo mo automatically activates when you die
3. Slo mo automatically activates for a specified duration every time you get hit (but won't get extended if you get hit while in slo mo)
4. Slo mo automatically activates for a specified period when your health goes ABOVE a specified amount (could turn soul spheres into slo mo powerups if you pick them up at full health if you set the activation health to 200 for example)
5. Slo mo automatically activates every time an enemy dies (probably a horrible idea)
I appreciate these suggestions, thank you.

1. An emergency safety feature, I like it.
2. A special effect to make death more appear more dramatic, I like it.
3. Kind of like that adrenalin injection upgrade in the Lithium mod to make lethal gameplay mods have a hint of fairness, I like it.
4. I don't really see the value in this. It essentially needs very specific situation for it to matter and it could also be triggered by a common health vial too.
5. I saw this in Black Warrior and it seemed to do more harm than good. Doom's plentiful monster count + monsters can die indirectly (barrels, crushers, infighting, allies), so the player could experience random unwanted freezes on a constant basis. However, I think it could be good for gameplay mods + maps that focus on boss rushes or duels (few, distinct enemies in both cases), to signify the importance of the event whenever a boss or dueler is killed.

I've also been thinking about another idea:
6. Limited activations/uses per map. Another balancing system that would validate otherwise long slomo durations or keep slomo as an "you only get one chance with this" type of thing.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

I think for the 'enemy deaths' one it could be like Zed Time for Killing Floor; the player alters the chance it can occur or whether it's boss enemies only or some such, and it only occurs in specific situations rather than on every single kill.
The problem there however is figuring out enemy types, so that's probably more work than its worth.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Also, why can't I set the slo mo cooldown longer than 999?
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

RikohZX wrote:I think for the 'enemy deaths' one it could be like Zed Time for Killing Floor; the player alters the chance it can occur or whether it's boss enemies only or some such, and it only occurs in specific situations rather than on every single kill.
The problem there however is figuring out enemy types, so that's probably more work than its worth.
I dislike the idea of it being a random occurance, even if the player can influence odds. It violates my need for control and consistency to in my game experience if slomo boots up without my explicit consent. :|
Someone64 wrote:Also, why can't I set the slo mo cooldown longer than 999?
Are you sure about that? Works fine on my end:

panzerfaustmna

Post by panzerfaustmna »

Hehe i use it with some crazy dodge and jump tricks mods =)
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

panzerfaustmna wrote:Hehe i use it with some crazy dodge and jump tricks mods =)
Now that is super cool! :shock: :D
Thank you so much for making that video and posting it here, it really made my day to see someone enjoy the mod like that. I will feature the video on the first post as gratitude!

I wish there was a way to make the freeze momentum option have an alternative option to not be so unsmooth, but I have no idea how it could be possible. Thats the only last thing that is still bothering me about this mod.
panzerfaustmna

Post by panzerfaustmna »

Spaceman333 wrote:
panzerfaustmna wrote:Hehe i use it with some crazy dodge and jump tricks mods =)
Now that is super cool! :shock: :D
Thank you so much for making that video and posting it here, it really made my day to see someone enjoy the mod like that. I will feature the video on the first post as gratitude!

I wish there was a way to make the freeze momentum option have an alternative option to not be so unsmooth, but I have no idea how it could be possible. Thats the only last thing that is still bothering me about this mod.
Totally agree with you man, and about freeze momentum too, i hope u will find solution for this problem!
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

A lovely update, this small great addon is getting better and better! :D

Thanks for your really big job Spaceman my friend! Image :cheers:
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

For some reason this uses the same binding as hideous destructors unload, and REFUSES to be different : I mean I started out, and unload was bound to u, and so was slowmo. I bound slowmo to q, and now so was unload. Cleared slowmo, and now unload was cleared. This essentially makes the 2 mods incompatible.

Also, ever played killing floor? An effect which made slowlo randomly turn on for free upon killing an enemy would be a neat script.

and is it possible to make player scripts also effected, so guns aren't magically super fast in them?
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Hexereticdoom wrote:A lovely update, this small great addon is getting better and better! :D

Thanks for your really big job Spaceman my friend! Image :cheers:
Thank you! I appreciate people enjoying the mod, it makes me happy! :D :wub:
mumblemumble wrote:For some reason this uses the same binding as hideous destructors unload, and REFUSES to be different : I mean I started out, and unload was bound to u, and so was slowmo. I bound slowmo to q, and now so was unload. Cleared slowmo, and now unload was cleared. This essentially makes the 2 mods incompatible.
The first issue is due to the fact that Doom only allows for very specific keys to be bound as controls, thus limiting what bindings I can offer.
However, this issue CAN be fixed to resolve the mod conflict. This is how you can do it:

Code: Select all

(Repost from ModDB when another user that had this similar issue)

That's a bit tricky. You'll need to recompile a new ACS file from the source file.

1.Open the pk3 file with a zip program. I use IzArc.
2.In the source folder, you'll find SlomoBulletTimeThing.txt
3.Inside that txt (open with notepad or similar), there will be four instances of BT_USER4 which you'll need to replace. (lines 94 to 136)
4. Refer to Zdoom.org for the list of possible buttons you can replace it with.
5. Save the file.
6. Get GDCC: Forum.zdoom.org
You'll need it to compile the txt file into a .o file.
Install/unzip gdcc, then drag the txt file onto the gdcc-acc.exe. This will automatically create an .o file of the same filename as the txt, in the location that the .txt originally was.
7. You should now have a SlomoBulletTimeThing.o file. Hopefully.
8. Make a folder called ACS. You'll need to drop the .o file into there.
9. Once you have the .o file in the ACS folder, drag that folder into the SlomoBulletTime_Ultimate.pk3 which you've opened with IzArc or similar.
10. It will ask to confirm an overwrite of files, say yes.

Done.
Also, ever played killing floor? An effect which made slowlo randomly turn on for free upon killing an enemy would be a neat script.
I've seen footage of KF and this very idea had been suggested before. The issue is the randomness of it, as I want to be able to know exactly when and why slomo is activated. I also think it may be more annoying than enjoyable when the game goes slow on its own, potentially interrupting game momentum when the player least wants or expects it.

Thats my current opinion of it. What's your stance on this?
and is it possible to make player scripts also effected, so guns aren't magically super fast in them?
Not really. Doom doesn't have real time scaling to support it smoothly; freezing the player and player's controls every other second would result in choppy and unsatisfying effect. Its like pausing the game every other second, inputs would get lost between the pauses and cause unresponsive controls and gameplay on the player's side. :(

On a side note, I'm posting the new video that panzerfaustmna made a while back but wasn't ever posted on the thread itself:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”