Perfected Doom v1.0

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Retraux Squid

Re: Perfected Doom v1.0

Post by Retraux Squid »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
Retraux Squid wrote:The Rotary Cannon doesn't use explosives; it uses 12mm shells, which are dropped by commandoes and randomly spawn as either loose ammo (replacing clips) or boxes (replacing ammo boxes). Thus it's still in Slot 4 (primary automatic weapons).
The Rotary Cannon may use an original ammunition type, but it still deals splash damage that hurts the player at close range. To prevent accidental injuries or even death from mistakenly selecting it in the heat of battle, I think the weapon should be either assigned to the same slot as the Rocket Launcher or to a separate slot altogether.

Also, three weapons per slot is a crowd.
Good point; however, understand that Perfected Doom is primarily balanced around itself, not with the Expansion Pack loaded; the latter is designed to work with PD. The Rotary Cannon certainly won't go into Slot 5 in the base .pk3; however, I'll see if in the Expansion Pack moving it into Slot 5 would do any improvements. I've been planning to implement a grenade launcher into the Expansion Pack, though; that'd again bump the weapons per slot to 3 in Slot 5.

Version 1.1 will likely be coming tomorrow to a few days in advance. Stay tuned.
Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

Retraux Squid wrote:
Ts879 wrote:Welp this Mod is Petty good. simple yet very well Done. The only criticism I have is with the Rotary Cannon and the Rocket Launcher. They need better sprites the Old ones feel out of place. Here is a suggestion for new a sprite for the Rotary Cannon.

http://media.moddb.com/images/members/4 ... 1237.1.png
Now THAT's a nice looking cannon. Can you possibly link the sprites or mod?
Sure dude. I don't have the sprite by I know it's from insanity's brutality. The creator of the mod will most likely let you use it, so don't worry about that.

Here's the link to the modhttp://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... -brutality
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Retraux Squid wrote:Good point; however, understand that Perfected Doom is primarily balanced around itself, not with the Expansion Pack loaded; the latter is designed to work with PD. The Rotary Cannon certainly won't go into Slot 5 in the base .pk3; however, I'll see if in the Expansion Pack moving it into Slot 5 would do any improvements. I've been planning to implement a grenade launcher into the Expansion Pack, though; that'd again bump the weapons per slot to 3 in Slot 5.
Even in the base .pk3, I find it rather annoying to have the Rotary Cannon use the Combat Rifle slot despite using a completely different ammunition type that can actually harm you should you fire the weapon at close range. I understand the Rotary Cannon is supposed to fill the role of the vanilla Plasma Rifle, so maybe you reassign the new Plasma Rifle to Slot 7 (since it uses the same ammo type as the BFG) and give Slot 6 to the Rotary Cannon to avoid confusion?
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

While 1.1 is baking in the oven, I'll give a list of features planned:

- Grenade launcher-type weapon for Slot 5. I'm divided between making it manual-load or semi-automatic.
- Basic zombie troopers being able to crouch and fire accurate bursts (same attack length as crouching shotgunners).
- A new type of pistol for the Expansion Pack, and a zombie to carry it.
- A few new types of demon to spread around; I feel like the rest of Hell needs the sort of revamps that the former humans got.
- New player classes. Whether they simply start with weaponry or have unique stats I'm still testing and thinking about.

1.1 should be here by the end of the week unless unforeseen events occur. As always, I'm open to suggestions.
Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Dwailing »

Just found this again when poking around my Doom mod collection. Is 1.1 going to be released at some point, or are you done with the project?
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

It has been five months and still no 1.1 release? What is going on? :?
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Sorry for bumping, but the rotary cannon's explosive puffs do absolutely no damage to barrels.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Would it be possible to isolate the hitscanner-to-firetracers part of this mod and release it separately? I'd be interested in using that in vanilla-style episodes to see how it's affecting gameplay.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”