Perfected Doom v1.0

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Retraux Squid

Perfected Doom v1.0

Post by Retraux Squid »

Screenshot Link

Perfected Doom is an enhancer mod that improves Doom's gameplay and aesthethic. Some features include:
  • - Integrated Perk Smooth Weapons, Perk HQ Sounds, and NashGore
    - Enhanced weapons featuring new sounds, smooth animations, and occasionally the need to reload
    - More tactical gameplay featuring new and modified weaponry
    - Hitscanners converted to fire tracers instead of hitscan shots
    - New difficulty levels
    - And more!
A more detailed list of weapon changes here:
Spoiler:
Credits contained within the pk3.

Download Link

In addition, you can install the optional Expansion Pack, featuring a few new weapons to play with- and monsters to carry them. New weapons include the Minigun- a fast-firing rifle-caliber rotary machine gun- and the Submachine Gun, a pistol-caliber automatic weapon. The pack additionally comes with three new types of former human- the Submachine Gunner randomly replaces the Shotgunner, the Minigunner randomly replaces the Commando, and a new Plasmagunner has a chance of replacing the Commando as well. This pack will be steadily expanded with new weapons as time goes on.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Retraux Squid on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Perfected Doom v1.0

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I cannot get the game to launch PDExpansion.pk3.

Also, it would be nice to know what extra content it provides.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I cannot get the game to launch PDExpansion.pk3.

Also, it would be nice to know what extra content it provides.
I should clarify; PDExpansion is not a standalone .pk3. It must be loaded after Perfected Doom to work properly.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Quick bugfix for the PD Expansion; the SMG now raises and lower as fast as the other weapons. The Minigun doesn't feature this due to its weight; I will roll back the rapid weapon switching on the Rotary Cannon, Rocket Launcher, and BFG-9000 in addition come next update.

EDIT: One final bugfix for the Expansion Pack. Now everything should work out assuming you loaded it after Perfected Doom.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

That did the trick! Still, it would be nice if you could update the original post with a list of the new weapons and enemies featured in the Expansion Pack.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

Pretty cool mod! I think the weapons could use a bit of recoil, but I like the feelings of them. As an optional thing, perhaps you could make it so our weapons shoot the same tracers enemies do? I'm a big fan of tracers, for whatever reason.
Black Rock Shooter

Post by Black Rock Shooter »

Loved the mod's name (and the mod too).
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

I will be improving weapon feel for v1.1, including recoil. Additionally I think I'll add cosmetic tracers- perhaps as a toggleable option.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Black Rock Shooter wrote:Loved the mod's name (and the mod too).
That might be my one gripe with the mod so far: how exactly is it "perfecting" Doom? :?

Anyway, I would suggest you move the Rotary Cannon to the same slot as the Rocket Launcher, since they both fire explosive ammunition, or maybe a new slot altogether?

Also, I think the Plasma Rifle Zombieman should have a different uniform colour than the Minigunner. Maybe cyan, like in Threshold of Pain?
Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

Welp this Mod is Petty good. simple yet very well Done. The only criticism I have is with the Rotary Cannon and the Rocket Launcher. They need better sprites the Old ones feel out of place. Here is a suggestion for new a sprite for the Rotary Cannon.

http://media.moddb.com/images/members/4 ... 1237.1.png
SwiftFunk
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SwiftFunk »

I feel like I'm still playing unmodded Doom with this, nice job on the mod! The weapons could do with a bit of recoil, but besides that, it's perfect! (Possible pun very much intended.) Still, nice mod! :3: meow.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Ts879 wrote:Welp this Mod is Petty good. simple yet very well Done. The only criticism I have is with the Rotary Cannon and the Rocket Launcher. They need better sprites the Old ones feel out of place. Here is a suggestion for new a sprite for the Rotary Cannon.

http://media.moddb.com/images/members/4 ... 1237.1.png
Now THAT's a nice looking cannon. Can you possibly link the sprites or mod?
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
Black Rock Shooter wrote:Loved the mod's name (and the mod too).
That might be my one gripe with the mod so far: how exactly is it "perfecting" Doom? :?

Anyway, I would suggest you move the Rotary Cannon to the same slot as the Rocket Launcher, since they both fire explosive ammunition, or maybe a new slot altogether?

Also, I think the Plasma Rifle Zombieman should have a different uniform colour than the Minigunner. Maybe cyan, like in Threshold of Pain?
I was toying around with changing the name, but I felt that it aptly summed up the aims of the mod: polishing animations, gore, and sound effects, while improving gameplay and adding new content.

The Rotary Cannon doesn't use explosives; it uses 12mm shells, which are dropped by commandoes and randomly spawn as either loose ammo (replacing clips) or boxes (replacing ammo boxes). Thus it's still in Slot 4 (primary automatic weapons).

I know of plasma gunner sprites with an actual plasma rifle on the sprite (not just the generic rifle with a blue muzzle flash) and a blue uniform. I think for 1.1 I'll be replacing the current sprites with those.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Fist animation briefly turns gloved hand into ungloved hand at the end of punch. I'm using gzd 2.3.

EDIT: Other than that, mod is really nice! Keep the good work.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Retraux Squid wrote:The Rotary Cannon doesn't use explosives; it uses 12mm shells, which are dropped by commandoes and randomly spawn as either loose ammo (replacing clips) or boxes (replacing ammo boxes). Thus it's still in Slot 4 (primary automatic weapons).
The Rotary Cannon may use an original ammunition type, but it still deals splash damage that hurts the player at close range. To prevent accidental injuries or even death from mistakenly selecting it in the heat of battle, I think the weapon should be either assigned to the same slot as the Rocket Launcher or to a separate slot altogether.

Also, three weapons per slot is a crowd.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”