Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Minotaurs, oh my!

Postby Ryuhi » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:33 pm

VERSION 1.5 IS NOW LIVE!
Changelog 1.5
Spoiler:

I want to give a massive shoutout to everyone that has been helping with feedback and playtesting through the discord, you guys have helped tremendously! I hope the wait was worth it, and you all enjoy the update!
Ryuhi

Re: Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Postby Linz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:11 pm

Question

Will you ever do a music mod that contains tracks from throughout the Heretic series?
Linz

Postby Ryuhi » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:15 am

Don't plan on doing any music replacers, but there are some out there that remaster the heretic music like this one
Ryuhi

Postby hyll » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:25 am

Hey, there's these weird red circles on top of monster heads on the sprites when using Heretical Monsters with 1.5 of Heretical Doom (on gzdoom 4.4.2).
Is there a way to turn them off? Didn't seem to find an option regarding them (tried the various headshot-related settings).

Thanks in advance!
hyll

Postby Ryuhi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 am

hyll wrote:Hey, there's these weird red circles on top of monster heads on the sprites when using Heretical Monsters with 1.5 of Heretical Doom (on gzdoom 4.4.2).
Is there a way to turn them off? Didn't seem to find an option regarding them (tried the various headshot-related settings).

Thanks in advance!

Thats from the monsters addon, specifically the headshot script. It'll be fixed in the next version, but in the meantime if you type "hs_hitbox 0" in the console, it will fix it.

Apparently some other mod is using the same cvar or something, because I've only been getting reports of this rather recently. Regardless, the next version of the monsters addon won't even be using the same headshot script, so it won't be possible :)
Ryuhi

Postby Gen5lock131 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:17 am

Hi Ryuhi, just wanted to drop and say this mod is fantastic!

Some questions: Is Heretical monsters staying vanilla forever? Or will you ever consider adding more monsters to the rooster?

Also what monster mod aside from yours would you consider using while playing Heretic?

Cheers!
Gen5lock131

Discord: jac0907CM#0312
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby irontusk341 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:59 pm

i just got an insane idea of making a mod called final fantasy mystic quest (based off the actual super nintendo game), that would work really well with this.
Last edited by irontusk341 on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irontusk341
Main Author & Director of Diablo 3D: A Heretic mod based on the Diablo Games

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Ryuhi » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:28 am

Gen5lock131 wrote:Hi Ryuhi, just wanted to drop and say this mod is fantastic!

Some questions: Is Heretical monsters staying vanilla forever? Or will you ever consider adding more monsters to the rooster?

Also what monster mod aside from yours would you consider using while playing Heretic?

Cheers!

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it!

In regards to monsters, aside from the few additions that are used to fill out advanced rosters (like Doom 2,) the scope of the mod is to be centered around the vanilla monsters. Each monster will have at least 2 variants (some of which are already included, like sabreclaws and wizards), and more will have decapitation deaths. Skulls will also have a secondary mechanic implemented, I held off at first for compatibility's sake, but it's on the drawing board. One of the biggest things with the monster addon is that I want to rely less on external assets and do more work in-house so to speak, but that is also part of why it is taking so long between updates.

Aside from the Monsters addon, the Vanilla+ modifier in the options menu is another good pick for obvious reasons :) As a reminder, since I have seen a few streams where the Vanilla+ modifier has overwriten the Monsters addon:

In order to use any monster replacer, make sure the Vanilla+ option is off in the settings!

I'm sure most people already know that, but I figured it was worth mentioning in this context :) As for other monster replacers, Colorful Hell and Rampancy are my gotos, though I admittedly haven't been cycling a lot of monster addons mods. Aside from what's been done and the continued work on the HDMonsters addon, I've seen got Vanilla+ replacers to make for Strife and ChexQuest, and I have to finish and rebalance the Hexen ones. Which reminds me, I've seen a bug that happens in regards to Vanilla+ monsters in Heretic specifically being able to hit themselves with projectiles, which will be fixed in an upcoming bugfix patch within the next week or so.

Thanks again for the kind words, hope you continue to enjoy the mods :)
Ryuhi

Postby electrodragon554 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:37 am

Happy 2021 first of all.
I've taken Heretical Doom for a spin, and so far, I like the mod.

Opinions on the weaponry:
Slot 1: the staff - more useful & practical than in vanilla Heretic. the gauntlets are interesting but I cannot say anything else as I don't use them.
Slot 2: the wand - faster and more powerful than the vanilla wand in Heretic and the pistol from Doom.
Slot 3: the ethereal crossbow - a workhorse weapon - gets the job done. enough said.
Slot 4: the dragon claw - works well, but could be a little bit faster.
Slot 5 the hellstaff - good, and is a workhorse weapon.
Slot 6: the phoenix rod - the flamethrower powered mode could be improved in terms of strength
Slot 7: in my opinion, better than Heretic's firemace
Slot 8: this staff could be improved in strength.

some suggestions:
I think it would be a good idea to add the Arbalest, Impaler Crossbow, Super Crossbow, or the Cryo Bow as equivalents to the SSG (all from Realm667's armory - last one is from the Doom style)
I would also like to see an interaction between the HD monsters and the regular Doom monsters (infighting one another, or fighting together)

Also, what about custom story intermissions that interact with Doom 1, Sigil, Doom 2, TNT, Plutonia, and Heretic?
electrodragon554

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Ryuhi » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:09 am

Glad you're enjoying it so far! Thanks for the feedback, its good to see the weapons are mostly well received. To clarify a few things:

I don't have any intention of switching out the SSG slot for anything, as the Ethereal Crossbow functions as both the normal shotgun and SSG equivalent on its own (between its two firing modes respectively.) Like you said, it really is a workhorse weapon :)

The Dragon Claw actually used to be faster and less accurate, but that was a bit redundant in regards to its altfire, and the animation did not look very good with it. That said, it is now more accurate than it used to be, and using the Adrenaline Booster brings it to its old firing speed (the best of both worlds, really.)

The Phoenix Rod's flamethrower powered fire was never intended to be about damage, but rather crowd control, even back in vanilla Heretic. It actually got a pretty big damage boost from where it used to be, as well as controlling even more space. Its normal fire and "shock combos" for its tier 2 altfire provide tons of frontend damage to fill the pure damage gap.

The Sidhe's Wrath primary fire is actually extremely powerful... vs bosses. It can clear a lot of weaker enemies decently enough, but its primary job is to nuke larger enemies: splitting targets splits its damage output quite a bit. In regards to groups, I'd recommend using other weapons to thin the ranks of the small fry first, as it tends to be less cost efficient for that purpose.

In regards to infighting, it can now be re-enabled! as of 1.5 there is an option to override the infighting lock on higher difficulties, so you can have enemies infight even on difficulties like Madman. I personally feel that it should be disabled for the higher difficulties to balance the room clearing potential Corvus has, but I added that option due to popular demand. In terms of a "shared bestiary" of sorts between the two groups, I don't really have plans to do so, but there can certainly be a few surprises with the Vanilla+ monster mode in the future :)

Lastly, custom intermissions will be a thing in the future. A lot of the mod is shaping up to where I want it to end up, but there is still plenty of work to do. Currently I'm back to work on the monsters addon, but after that gets its next update, its back to the core mod for more tweaks and revisions~
Ryuhi

Postby LordKane1701 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:30 pm

I can use this with heretic right? I have been looking to spice up a heretic play through...
LordKane1701

Postby Ryuhi » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:10 pm

yep! You can use the base mod with or without the vanilla+ monsters modifier, as well as the monsters addon (with or without the base mod.)
Ryuhi

Postby LordKane1701 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:50 pm

Ryuhi wrote:yep! You can use the base mod with or without the vanilla+ monsters modifier, as well as the monsters addon (with or without the base mod.)

I am a derp after I posted that, I realized you could play it with heretic, been playing, great mod.
found the dancing easter egg lol
any way to permanently disable voxels? the setting to disable them keeps resetting when I quit the game.
LordKane1701

Postby Ryuhi » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:30 pm

LordKane1701 wrote:
Ryuhi wrote:yep! You can use the base mod with or without the vanilla+ monsters modifier, as well as the monsters addon (with or without the base mod.)

I am a derp after I posted that, I realized you could play it with heretic, been playing, great mod.
any way to permanently disable voxels? the setting to disable them keeps resetting when I quit the game.

its going off of the "r_drawvoxels" CVAR thats native in GZDoom. Since I've been finishing up a minor bugfix update, I'll see if I can change the behavior to use a custom CVAR instead (which would allow it to write to the config file and save between sessions.) Also glad you've been enjoying it!
Ryuhi

Postby LordKane1701 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:04 pm

Ryuhi wrote:
LordKane1701 wrote:

its going off of the "r_drawvoxels" CVAR thats native in GZDoom. Since I've been finishing up a minor bugfix update, I'll see if I can change the behavior to use a custom CVAR instead (which would allow it to write to the config file and save between sessions.) Also glad you've been enjoying it!

alright don't worry about it, I will just set an autoexec to disable it.
LordKane1701

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods