Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ts879

Re: Heretical Doom v0.7 - I playtested this time I swear!

Post by Ts879 »

This is fucking awesome! The best magic weapons mod for Doom I have seen so far. Great job man, this is perfect I have almost no complaints.

The only one I have is that the Tome of power is extremely pointless as some of the powered up modes are worse than the standard mode.I would like to recommend that you replace with a mode switcher. like have the reload button switch between power and normal mode for the primary fire, while alt fire stays same on both modes.

Also I would suggest adding a couple of more weapons like a magic sword and a spell book like the necronomicon to fill the other two empty weapon slots. Other that I have nothing to say expect for the fact that this is really really good.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Also, GZDoom has the four "weapon states" keys; you should assign the flechettes to three of those keys... I think.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Did a quick runthru of the first half of BD64 using my mod to playtest some compatibility and show some of the changes I've made along the way, let me know what you guys think: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... muvXxuf_Bh
AvzinElkein wrote:Also, GZDoom has the four "weapon states" keys; you should assign the flechettes to three of those keys... I think.
Don't worry, I have plans for the weapon states, reload, and zoom functions. all in good time...
Ts879 wrote:This is fucking awesome! The best magic weapons mod for Doom I have seen so far. Great job man, this is perfect I have almost no complaints.

The only one I have is that the Tome of power is extremely pointless as some of the powered up modes are worse than the standard mode.I would like to recommend that you replace with a mode switcher. like have the reload button switch between power and normal mode for the primary fire, while alt fire stays same on both modes.

Also I would suggest adding a couple of more weapons like a magic sword and a spell book like the necronomicon to fill the other two empty weapon slots. Other that I have nothing to say expect for the fact that this is really really good.
Thanks, glad you like it! As for the Tome of Power, which weapons would you say are worse? The only one I can think of is the hellfire staff's damage output (needs a simple buff or a bonus effect) otherwise they should all be empirically better than the original primary fires. As for the alt fires, I have plans for powered versions of those as well to be unlocked at even later levels (mainly for 32 level megawads, of course.) The idea of having the two be a swap through reload is interesting, but I don't think I'll be using it for Corvus. It would actually fit pretty nicely for one of my future character ideas though...

Lastly in regards to the other weapon ideas, I'll simply say that Hexen characters are only really coded for 4 weapons (technically 5,) but there are still more slots that need filling to be equal with Elfboy. I'm going to brush up on my sprite work before I make any further promises on the matter.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

To be honest, I honestly don't want to assign extra keys that I won't be using in other mods, is all. Sorry. The weapon-state/zoom/reload keys are 'universal' to GZdoom mods, for one...
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

I understand, and I wish there was a way to make mod specific bindings that don't clash with other mods (have the same problem with Demonsteele vs Trailblazer vs ProjectMSX etc etc) or at least a way to save it so that it auto reloads with the mod, but thats beyond my knowledge. If anyone knows a way, that'd be swell!

In any case, I do plan to make a CVAR to have the "quickuse only" items be available in the item bar, most of those optimizations were an attempt to clean it from cluttering up with the bajillion items already in there.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

Umm...pretty sure ZDL has a profile system that creates separate .INI files per profile. That or you can just copy paste your GZDoom into another folder.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

how have i never noticed that? thank you :)
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

I know its been a bit since my last update, but I've got something coming soon....
Spoiler:
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

Well color me interested ! Didn't know of that RPG mod (maybe got out during my year of absence eheh) ! While I'm not that much into Brutal Doom (don't get me wrong Brutal Doom was a great opportunity to get back into Doom after my teen years, but there are far better mods out there, including pretty much every Brutal alternative mods like this or Wolfenstein :S) it seems to retain only the cool parts of it and having a comp patch for Doom is neat, so great job on the patch ;)
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Here's a proper demonstration of the reloading mechanic thats coming up in the v0.8 release!

note that the crossbow does not have a reload....yet. I have some ideas in store for it, but they'll likely make it into a future release.

Let me know what you guys think of the animations/speeds! Here's some of the data on each weapons reload:
Spoiler:
mutator

Post by mutator »

hey Ryuhi, will the mancubus be replaced with one of the heretic monsters as well?
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Cool, I don't think I've ever seen the Heretic weapons reload. Is it a hold down R to charge sort of thing, or a regular reload that's just interruptible?
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

hey Ryuhi, will the mancubus be replaced with one of the heretic monsters as well?
Yeah, I've been doing most of my development around Heretic and missed a few things dropping them in Doom, the spawn table is (tentatively) going to be as follows:

Lost Soul - Mini Gargoyle
ZombieMan - Gargoyle, Mummy
ShotgunGuy/Imp - Fire Gargoyle, NirtoMummy randomspawner
Demon - Clink
ChaingunGuy - Knight
Fatso - Weredragon
Spectre - Knight Ghost, NitroMummy Ghost, or Fighter Ghost randomspawner
Cacodemon - Wizard
Pain Elemental - Iron Lich
Arachnotron/HellKnight/Baron of Hell/Revenant - Ophidian/Weredragon randomspawner
Archville - DSparril Serpent rider
Cyberdemon - Minotaur
Spider Mastermind - DSparril mode 2

I do plan to make more variations of the monsters to try to have a 1-1 conversion for each type of enemy to fit their roles/sizes/etc in doom, but for now this is how i plan to have it for the initial build. The version i streamed the other night was VERY INCOMPLETE, and i plan on streaming more playtests in the coming days as i make some of these changes.
...and experiment with fixing everything i broke in the process :)

By the way, the monsters mod is currently being developed as an addon to the core Heretical Doom, but I plan to make it a standalone monster replacer as I flesh it out a bit more, since heretic monsters never seem to get any love~
Cool, I don't think I've ever seen the Heretic weapons reload. Is it a hold down R to charge sort of thing, or a regular reload that's just interruptible?
The reloads are brand new, I've been finishing them up just over the past few weeks! They are continuous but interruptible, no need to hold down the button! the Firemace reload is not interruptable, but its also an all at once reload rather than gradual like the other weapons. The mode switch for the crossbow will have more definition/feedback for the switch as well as which mode you are currently in, but it will not be interruptible either.
Ryuhi

Re: Heretical Doom v0.8 - Reloading? Monster addons?!?!

Post by Ryuhi »

Sorry for the double post, but v0.8 is now ready to go! Not only that, but Heretical Doom Monsters is here as well! be sure to let me know what you guys think :)
-Ghost-

Re: Heretical Doom v0.8 - Reloading? Monster addons?!?!

Post by -Ghost- »

The update seems good overall. Reloading feels a little slow on the higher capacity weapons, like the dragon claw, does that speed increase with level ups or anything? And this is more of a minor point, but instead of "Recharged your weapons a bit" could we get a more specific ammo related message, like "Picked up 3 crossbow quarrels" etc? It can be hard to tell what you've picked up if you're picking up a lot at once during a fight.

The monster pack feels pretty good as well, haven't noticed any bugs so far running through Doom 2. More variations would be great, maybe the Hexen bestiary as well for even more variety?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”