Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ryuhi

Re: Heretical Doom v1.2 - Making Melee Fun Again!

Post by Ryuhi »

You should be able to with any other weapon packs, and you can adjust the ratio in the options for the mod. my last update was before the latest build of gzdoom, so i'll test it a bit later to verify.

out of curiosity, which gameplay mod were you pairing it with?
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I can't remember since I've tried this with at least 5 weapon packs. These include Trailblazer, Factotum, Doom Incarnate, and some others. I've tried spawning enemies in a test environment with a damage numbers mod, toggling headshot hitbox view, and shooting at it and it just doesn't cause ANY extra damage and headshot death.

Also, if you manage to fix this then certain weapon packs might become extremely overpowered due to headshots and I recommend turning the headshot damage factor into an option in the settings menu to allow players to adjust
it accordingly.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

it already is an option I forgot headshot damage ratio adjustment is something thats getting put into the next version :x Same for universal headshots, both are already slated to be included in 0.4. There was some tomfoolery I had to magichack in to have enemies not headshot themselves, which previously relied on the SPECTRAL tag in older versions.

That said, spritework is part of why its taking a lot longer than the core mod for each update, but it is next on my plate, dont worry :) Your wishes will come true next version
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I'm excited for it! There aren't that many monster only mods for GZDoom and this one's pretty great.
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... C243CFC1D/

So playing some more on Magister mode, fun so far but using the flechette launcher has caused a permanent flechette icon effect as shown here. And with the flechette launcher selected, there is colour interference, so basically that stuck icon being blue, when bringing up the red mode on the launcher it creates a purple flechette icon on screen.

I have made a save right here so if you want me to do anything else with it to check anything, just let me know Ryuhi.
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link to screenshot directly instead, as it's too large.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

it looks like that was in hexen... were you using any other mods? also, which version of GZdoom?

I'll try to recreate it to figure out which failsafe call is missing.
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

Ryuhi wrote:it looks like that was in hexen... were you using any other mods? also, which version of GZdoom?

I'll try to recreate it to figure out which failsafe call is missing.
Yeah apologies should have said it was Hexen. I was only using your mod, and the GZdoom version is 3.3.2

I haven't had the same problem in Heretic though I didn't use the launcher near as much in that, given how things work out in Hexen it's pretty useful early on so I used it a lot more.

*edit*

So I found out a little more about whatever this bug is. I loaded an earlier save and played some without the problem, then when I entered the fortress of steel warp, the first one, I get the issue. Now I think what happened was earlier I walked into that warp, made use of the launcher, warped out by accident, and it appears now if I warp back that sticky icon is there and then stays there. It does seem that the warp out caused the issue, when there was a bunch of blue flechettes on screen.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

I was trying to break it with every method I could, but I didn't think about the hub portals. I was finally able to recreate it, but I honestly don't know if there's a simple way to fix it, especially since I can't get it to happen consistently. For now, I would say to avoid firing the launcher as you go through a portal/exit, and I'll research another failsafe for next version.

Of course, if I find anything sooner I'll be more than happy to apply in the hotfix I'm currently working on.

*edit*

If you want to save that save file, simply open the console and type "remove flobottle" and "remove floblue" and it should remove the glitched orbiter and re-equipping the weapon will start working normally again.

further research and its apparently caused by rapidly zoning, since hub worlds essentially "pause" the status of everything on zone switching. this glitch will happen if you rapidly zone regardless of firing or not, and affects strife and any hub level based WADs.

that said, it has absolutely no affect on anything with a normal level structure (doom/heretic/chex) and is saved on a level by level basis. I'll keep looking into a fix.
Last edited by Ryuhi on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

Thanks, that did fix it.

I appreciate how quickly you replied, I will continue onwards and see if I can finally finish this game, I've never been further than the third hub.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

no problem, as a fair warning when you get to the second Heresiarch fight, be aware of the glitch the IWAD itself has about the spawns in his room. some of the level scripts seem to randomly decide to not activate there, so it would be wise to keep a save early in the level in case you need to revert the map state (or just noclip through the wall) Hexen is fun but that bug always bothers me ;-;
Tiddalick

Post by Tiddalick »

no problem, as a fair warning when you get to the second Heresiarch fight, be aware of the glitch the IWAD itself has about the spawns in his room. some of the level scripts seem to randomly decide to not activate there, so it would be wise to keep a save early in the level in case you need to revert the map state (or just noclip through the wall) Hexen is fun but that bug always bothers me ;-;
It's a script issue with counting how many enemies are left in the room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K6VLxp77v4
There is an easy way to get through that last room in Gibbet without having to resort to noclip. For skills 1, 2, and 3, you just need to wait a few seconds after the 3 Chaos Serpents appear (don't kill any though) before the doors open. For skills 4 (which is what I've used here) and 5, 4 Chaos Serpents appear instead of 3, so you'll need to kill one AND ONLY ONE if the doors are to open. The culprit is script 13 in the map: script 13 OPEN { until(thingcount(T_DEMON, 0) == 3) { delay(const:210); } Door_Open(const:28, 32); tagwait(const:28); Stairs_BuildDownSync(const:18, 8, 16, 0); } That means that the script will check every six seconds whether there are exactly 3 (no more, no less) Chaos Serpents. If, during that period of time, you kill them too quickly, the doors will never open and you will be stuck. Of course, after the doors open, you can kill them however you like.

Love this mod, has certainly made playing through Heretic the millionth time a lot of fun.

Question though, I can't seem to disable Autoaim when I am running both the 1.2 of heretical doom and "Heretical Doom Monsters v0.3a" in heretic (using GZDoom 3.3.2)
Specifically, I am forever aiming at the enemies heads, which means that when the heads of certain mosters fly off, my projectiles follow them, even when they are no where near the crosshair. It made playing on the hardest skill much easier than it really should have been!
Running just the 1.2 Heretical Doom mod with Doom2 does not give me this problem.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Tiddalick wrote:Question though, I can't seem to disable Autoaim when I am running both the 1.2 of heretical doom and "Heretical Doom Monsters v0.3a" in heretic (using GZDoom 3.3.2)
Specifically, I am forever aiming at the enemies heads, which means that when the heads of certain mosters fly off, my projectiles follow them, even when they are no where near the crosshair. It made playing on the hardest skill much easier than it really should have been!
Running just the 1.2 Heretical Doom mod with Doom2 does not give me this problem.
that is the first I've seen or heard of that, and I usually test that combo pretty often. Which file are you loading first, and (silly question) does it show that autoaim is turned all the way down on the player options screen? I'll try to recreate the issue to try to find the culprit, but I do know that 3.3.1 and 3.3.2 have caused a LOT of behind the scenes issues (main reason I need to make a fix for some of this stuff)
Tiddalick

Post by Tiddalick »

Hi Ryuhi,

The problem turned out to be on my end. Seems there were Autoaim options that appeared in GZDoom 3.3.x, ones that I don't remember seeing before.
I looked through every menu carefully and turned everything off and it seems to be working as expected now.
Strangely this was not happening in Doom2, though I had replayed that more recently so maybe some of the settings were saved when I upgraded to the latest GZDoom that were not present in Heretic.

Anyway, thanks for the great mod!
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

no worries, I've had some strange bugs pop up like some particles actually pushing the player, so feel free to report anything so I can make sure its not something in the code that borked :D
Arkenbon

Post by Arkenbon »

Hey, I wanted to thank you for making this mod, it really modernizes Heretic in the best way possible. I'm looking forward to trying some episodes made for the game to play it as some sort of unofficial sequel.
As you seem to be pretty active, I've just run through the first episode of Heretic itself and I have a couple questions, though they relate to the mod I'm not sure if they're more generic gzdoom questions but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Is it possible or could it be made possible to disable camera shake? Like when getting a headshot on the undead warriors/axe throwers.
As this mod has more progression than the base game, is it possible to, when moving from one episode to the next, save progress? After beating the first episode, it felt kind of penalizing to start back at the first level with no inventory, even if that's how the game was initially designed.
I might just be dumb and not be setting everything up right.

Even though I'm happy with the mod as is, I can't wait to see what you decide to add in/do next, though I'm already a little short on space for my keybindings Haha

Return to “Gameplay Mods”