Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AvzinElkein

Re: Heretical Doom v1.1 - Updated Monster Addon!

Post by AvzinElkein »

I haven't hit start game yet, so not yet.
Evil Operative
Location: Inside a land where Walls and Decors are covered in Blood and Guts. (Brutal)

Post by Evil Operative »

I've found quite a severe bug. If you happen to use the full power healing spell with the Staff, and accidentally change weapons during the spin animation, you are permanently set to not move, unless you change back to the Staff and cast the healing spell one more time.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Whups, thats quite a bug :( I should be able to have it fixed no problem in the next patch though.

looooooooooooot of work going into the staff for next update. I'm sure everyone will be quite pleased :D
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Tried to run on 3.3.1, but no go: https://imgur.com/aYUMe3D
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

yeah, i see that, on the engine update that released today. unfortunately i need a bit more info to fix it.

turns out it was from a single line that has since been moved to the monsters addon. Just use 3.3 until I have the next version out soon(er than I hoped)
Ryuhi

Re: Heretical Doom v1.2 - Making Melee Fun Again!

Post by Ryuhi »

Pretty big update, as always check out the first post for the download and update notes!
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Oh boy I can't wait to try this shit! Also, love the FOTNS references!
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Great update!
It feels even closer to a true HeretiDoom experience, and i'm glad you corrected the pallete issue :)
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

RedoLane wrote:Great update!
It feels even closer to a true HeretiDoom experience, and i'm glad you corrected the pallete issue :)
fun fact: I'm colorblind, so I didnt even notice until Reikall pointed them out to me. :D

he corrected the base sprites, and then I used them to redo the new animations.

Glad you're enjoying it so far though! As always, any feedback is always welcome as you delve deeper into it :)
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

quick offtopic, but I had to read twice the "redo" part :D

Anyway, I haven't got the chance to check it yet, but it looks promising.
Which mapset would you recommend to test it with?
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Scythe 2 is always my goto, but Moonblood Megawad and BTSX are also good picks as well. You can get pretty powerful in long wads and there are mechanics to "avoid" death exits, so almost anything is fair game.

That said, ZEpisodic can be used with it to play through all 5 episodes of Heretic or all 4 of Doom 1 and continue snowballing by the end.

....if you do that, I'd highly recommend using a monster mod to make things more difficult though :D
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Ryuhi wrote:Scythe 2 is always my goto, but Moonblood Megawad and BTSX are also good picks as well. You can get pretty powerful in long wads and there are mechanics to "avoid" death exits, so almost anything is fair game.

That said, ZEpisodic can be used with it to play through all 5 episodes of Heretic or all 4 of Doom 1 and continue snowballing by the end.

....if you do that, I'd highly recommend using a monster mod to make things more difficult though :D
I'll probably use Shades of Doom with it, but not with ZEpisodic. Yeah, maybe Moonblood could be a great choice, so i'll go with that.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

...I tried using the Heretical Doom Monsters pk3 with the compatibility patch pk3 on Hexen and Chex Quest, but the monsters remained as they were!
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

So after playing for a while, I noticed a few problems in hand:
- Even though I know what the Mystic Urn does, I can't use it at all. While checking it, you should add this item to the post's description, since it's missing from there.
- I get it that you're trying to use a ancient-accent text for the mod as a whole for the heretic feel, but when it comes to the level system messages and some item pickups, it only uses normal styled text. Do you plan to rewrite that?
- this is just my personal opinion, but I don't think mana should be refilled automatically. it decreases the challenge since you can use the spells with a simple-to-gain amount of mana.
- The gauntlets' altfire power has a too high level requirement(31), so when it comes to short maps, there's almost no chance to use that power. i'd suggest nerfing the level requirement to 25.

Aside all that, i'm having a lot of fun, especially with the new melee combos :)
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

RedoLane wrote:So after playing for a while, I noticed a few problems in hand:
- Even though I know what the Mystic Urn does, I can't use it at all. While checking it, you should add this item to the post's description, since it's missing from there.
- I get it that you're trying to use a ancient-accent text for the mod as a whole for the heretic feel, but when it comes to the level system messages and some item pickups, it only uses normal styled text. Do you plan to rewrite that?
- this is just my personal opinion, but I don't think mana should be refilled automatically. it decreases the challenge since you can use the spells with a simple-to-gain amount of mana.
- The gauntlets' altfire power has a too high level requirement(31), so when it comes to short maps, there's almost no chance to use that power. i'd suggest nerfing the level requirement to 25.

Aside all that, i'm having a lot of fun, especially with the new melee combos :)
Actually, the Urn is consumed automatically!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”