Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AvzinElkein

Re: Heretical Doom v1.4 - THE DREADED BALANCE PATCH

Post by AvzinElkein »

I can't wait to see the new versions of both HD and the monsters mod.
KyleDartist

Post by KyleDartist »

Hey really love the mod, but the 'dashing' code that was left in really makes it hard to play. Could you point me to the lines of code tied to the dash action, I would love to assign it to a separate key temporarily.

Code: Select all

script "DashCheck" ENTER
{
	int Whoosh;

Whoosh = GetPlayerInput(-1, INPUT_BUTTONS);

if (Whoosh & BT_FORWARD && Whoosh & BT_SPEED)
	{
		ThrustThing(GetActorAngle(0) >> 8, 50, 1, 0);
		Delay(35);
		restart;
	}
	if (Whoosh & BT_MOVERIGHT && Whoosh & BT_SPEED)
	{
		ThrustThing((GetActorAngle(0)+0.75) >> 8, 50, 1, 0);
		Delay(35);
		restart;
	}
	if (Whoosh & BT_BACK && Whoosh & BT_SPEED)
	{
		ThrustThing((GetActorAngle(0)+0.5) >> 8, 50, 1, 0);
		Delay(35);
		restart;
	}
	if (Whoosh & BT_MOVELEFT && Whoosh & BT_SPEED)
	{
		ThrustThing((GetActorAngle(0)+0.25) >> 8, 50, 1, 0);
		Delay(35);
		restart;
	}
	Else
	{
		delay(1);
		restart;
	}
}
I want to assumed these were the 'offending' lines of code but simply removing them and relaunching doesn't do the trick. ANy help would be awesome!
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

that was actually a leftover bug, it'll be removed in the next version. If you want to fix it temporarily in the meantime, removing those lines of code and then recompiling that file with ACC will fix it.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

How far have you gotten on the upcoming version?
sebastianali
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by sebastianali »

Hello, wow, this mod is amazing, a great update for the last one :D :D :D . There´s some way to play with Doom weapons but with this RPG mod?? Sorry for my english.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Quick update: There is finally A DISCORD FOR HERETICAL DOOM! Discussion, playtesting, feedback, updates, come be a part of the mod's future!
The next update will hopefully be ready soon, while fixing a lot of bugs I also came up with some great revisions and new ideas for some existing stuff, like expanding the Vanilla+ mode. Playtesting tends to be the biggest delay in development, so anyone interested in helping out would help a ton!
sebastianali wrote:Hello, wow, this mod is amazing, a great update for the last one :D :D :D . There´s some way to play with Doom weapons but with this RPG mod?? Sorry for my english.
Unfortunately not, as a lot of the RPG mechanics are tied into the player class itself. That said, it wouldn't be impossible for someone to reverse engineer some of them into their own doom-centric weapon mod, same with hexen or even strife :)
Glad you're enjoying it though, the fact that people have been having fun with the mod is my main reason I keep at it. Improving things is just as much for you guys as it is for me :D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Heretic on Doom... It's a common thing now, but this one's one impressive mod! Level-up System, Various Flechettes and Weapons that are powerful if you often use Secondary Fire. I think this mod is fine as it is, but still have some feedback to tell:

- Corvus plays vanilla doom DSOOF, if he lands.

- Firemace is now powerful and very fun to use. However the Secondary mine actually gathers up the items, not only enemies! I guess it was intentional?

- Phoenix Rod's 1st charged projectile feels the same. The damage output is not really intriguing.

And that's about it. Cool mod overall!
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Captain J wrote:Heretic on Doom... It's a common thing now, but this one's one impressive mod! Level-up System, Various Flechettes and Weapons that are powerful if you often use Secondary Fire. I think this mod is fine as it is, but still have some feedback to tell:

- Corvus plays vanilla doom DSOOF, if he lands.

- Firemace is now powerful and very fun to use. However the Secondary mine actually gathers up the items, not only enemies! I guess it was intentional?

- Phoenix Rod's 1st charged projectile feels the same. The damage output is not really intriguing.

And that's about it. Cool mod overall!
Glad you enjoy it! The Oof thing has actually been a thorn in my side for a while, especially when it wouldn't take my replacement for Corvette. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll go back and fix that one as well.

Firemace pulling in items is intentional :) had to work a bit of magic to make it function the way it does, and its only intended to work with ammo, health/armor bonuses, and mana drops.

The phoenix rod's first tier charge has only minimal damage increase, but a much larger explosion radius. I should probably update the visual to reflect that better.

A lot of the changes going forward are going to be focused around visuals, audio, and feedback. Once the Vanilla+ mode is completed, only a handful of things in the base mod need addressing, then its on to the stuff I'm bad at (i.e art and sound engineering) and bugfixes for whenever I miss something.

The monster mod, on the other hand, still has a lot of room to evolve.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Also i'd like to talk about Gargoyles from HereticalDoomMonsters 0.4 addon. They're much more fast, nimble and aggressive now, sure. But i think they immediately damage you when you're close to them.

Damage input is weak as it should be. But the speed is ridiculously fast, one gargoyle just gored the crap out of an Undead Warrior without giving a fighting chance. The thing is, they're the very first enemy you'll ever meet and they're mostly in group...
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

yeah, the idea behind them is that they're super fast but super weak. Their strength comes in swarming and catching the player unaware. TBH I generally do most of my testing on the higher difficulties (which don't have infighting) so I haven't really tested infighting much, so thanks for the heads up. I'll come up with some ways to avoid situations like that going forward :)
CYNICAL

Post by CYNICAL »

Captain J wrote:Also i'd like to talk about Gargoyles from HereticalDoomMonsters 0.4 addon. They're much more fast, nimble and aggressive now, sure. But i think they immediately damage you when you're close to them.

Damage input is weak as it should be. But the speed is ridiculously fast, one gargoyle just gored the crap out of an Undead Warrior without giving a fighting chance. The thing is, they're the very first enemy you'll ever meet and they're mostly in group...
another thing about the monster addon who has had moments in which monsters have this ridiculous range on melee attacks because i had moments in which monsters attack me through windows even though there is a space in between us?
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

CYNICAL wrote:
Captain J wrote:Also i'd like to talk about Gargoyles from HereticalDoomMonsters 0.4 addon. They're much more fast, nimble and aggressive now, sure. But i think they immediately damage you when you're close to them.

another thing about the monster addon who has had moments in which monsters have this ridiculous range on melee attacks because i had moments in which monsters attack me through windows even though there is a space in between us?
The melee range for the gargoyle, mummy, and sabreclaw is slightly longer than vanilla, but not by much (mainly to prevent slight movement making melee attacks suddenly miss.) The only one thats been increased by a fair amount is the new Werebeast flame breath attack, but it also has a bit of a startup to it.
Captain J

Re: Heretical Doom v1.4 - WE NOW HAVE A DISCORD!

Post by Captain J »

Oh, almost forgot. When i get the Gauntlet: the enhanced melee weapon. First thing it shows is flechette, the exploding green one.

I kinda want to immediately attack the enemy up close once i get it, but i have to switch it into melee mod so i won't burn my face up with a flechette. :P
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Captain J wrote:Oh, almost forgot. When i get the Gauntlet: the enhanced melee weapon. First thing it shows is flechette, the exploding green one.

I kinda want to immediately attack the enemy up close once i get it, but i have to switch it into melee mod so i won't burn my face up with a flechette. :P
I thought I fixed the weapon priority for that. Looks like I got the selection order stuff down but forgot the WEAPON.NO_AUTO_SWITCH flag. Thanks for the heads up, just tested it, and it will now finally be put to rest for the next version :)
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Sorry for a bit of radio silence here in the mod's topic, but the feedback I've been getting through the discord has been helping tremendously. I'm sure its been the case for many, but this year has been pretty rough, so I apologize for taking so long to have the next version out. Things are well on track, so I hope everyone is looking forward to it!

Also spoilers: there will be Maulotaurs. lots and lots of Maulotaurs.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”