Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ryuhi

Re: Heretical Doom v1.2 - Making Melee Fun Again!

Post by Ryuhi »

just tested it, and it definitely has to do with the amount of splashes. That said, it is being caused much more by the gore system in HDMonsters, between swarming the player into a smaller area, and releasing much more actors that are splashing as well.

Since both are contributing to the issue, I'll add CVARs to add the +DONTSPLASH flag to both the gore system into the monster mod, and the secondary shots of the Dragon Claw powered fire in their next versions. Thanks for the heads up.
panzersoldat

Post by panzersoldat »

Hey there, could there be a Zandronum 3.0 version of Heretical Doom please? I'd love to play this with Zandronum. I don't mind if it's an earlier version reuploaded or a reworked version with some less features, could you do it please? Thanks in advance
BGMaxie

Post by BGMaxie »

Greetings, I wanted to ask, is there a way where we can have both Doom and Heretic weapons and enemies at the same time? Would love to see them Gargoyles and Sorcerers with Imps and Demons.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

panzersoldat wrote:Hey there, could there be a Zandronum 3.0 version of Heretical Doom please? I'd love to play this with Zandronum. I don't mind if it's an earlier version reuploaded or a reworked version with some less features, could you do it please? Thanks in advance
the entire mod would have to be rewritten for Zandro support unfortunately, as even the oldest versions used features that were gzdoom only. While it's something I'd like to do and was researching a bit, I don't see it happening sadly.
Greetings, I wanted to ask, is there a way where we can have both Doom and Heretic weapons and enemies at the same time? Would love to see them Gargoyles and Sorcerers with Imps and Demons.
Samsara is fantastic at exactly what you're looking for, though everything is focused around vanilla assets and balance from each respective game. There is a monster addon that allows you to do just that.

Also note to everyone: I apologize for the lapse in updates, things have been going pretty slow on my end with some of the assets I'd like to include in the next version. I will, however, put out a hotfix fairly soon with the glitches and issues people have mentioned.
BGMaxie

Post by BGMaxie »

Ryuhi wrote: Samsara is fantastic at exactly what you're looking for, though everything is focused around vanilla assets and balance from each respective game. There is a monster addon that allows you to do just that.

Also note to everyone: I apologize for the lapse in updates, things have been going pretty slow on my end with some of the assets I'd like to include in the next version. I will, however, put out a hotfix fairly soon with the glitches and issues people have mentioned.
Except can that be played with Brutalized settings?
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

no but there are plenty of other gore mods like Lud's Universal Gibs that work with it no problem :D
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Ryuhi wrote:
panzersoldat wrote:Also note to everyone: I apologize for the lapse in updates, things have been going pretty slow on my end with some of the assets I'd like to include in the next version. I will, however, put out a hotfix fairly soon with the glitches and issues people have mentioned.
All I'm looking for is to finally have option to regenerate ammo by using magic\mana or fullfill the crater of might by using magic\mana.
BGMaxie

Post by BGMaxie »

Ryuhi wrote:no but there are plenty of other gore mods like Lud's Universal Gibs that work with it no problem :D
Not just the gore, but also the enhanced AI, weapon and graphics, basically I don't want it to be just vanilla stuff.
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

1) Any chance of making the voxels an option in the MENUDEF, for those of us who don't want to RIP AND TEAR them out manually?

2) What about remaking the lower-left portion of the HUD in the style of the lower-right corner, not to mention combining the Level and Exp counters into one instance on the upper-left corner?

3) I will note that the Heretical Monsters addon is heavily-taxing on my phone, even without the voxels. First level of Heretic is fine, but the moment I progress any further the framerate tanks to a standstill. And yes, I enabled Reduced Gore.

System Components, for Feedback Purposes (in spoiler)
Spoiler:
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

I made a few mistakes on the reduced gore system, I plan to make it multi-tier (including a mode that turns it off entirely) for the next update. Finishing the monster addon is my first priority as soon as i finish the bugfix for the core mod. I know its a bit intensive on older/lower end systems, so i'll try to see if there are any other ways i can optimize it a bit.

As for disabling voxels, there should be a built in cvar in gzdoom for it (r_drawvoxels, just set it to false) so I'll add it to the options menu for easy accessibility.

in regards to the hud elements, they're going to be getting a bit of an overhaul... a lot of people have told me its a bit too cluttered, so I'm both reworking it and adding a "bare essentials" version.
Last edited by Ryuhi on Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I hope it goes well :)
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

I have two suggestions that if its possible you could do would be really great. I do feel a little bit of an asshole because you've clearly put a lot of work both into the flechette gauntlet launcher and the various melee powers. The former is neat but I think it'd be great if you could switch between it or still using flechette as inventory items on the magister mode, and similarly, if you could switch between the enhanced melee functions and default melee. This is just speaking personally but thats the one aspect of the mod I think moves too far away from the original game design, and even if I tried not to trigger them when playing, they pretty much will trigger as its hard to avoid doing so.

In a way rather than having the two seperated modes, maybe you could have it as a set of option tweaks, like spells or items, flechette launcher or inventory, enhanced melee or basic melee.

But I have no idea what would be possible or easy for you to do, so if thats not reasonable don't worry about it, but more customisation would be great.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

hybridial wrote:I have two suggestions that if its possible you could do would be really great. I do feel a little bit of an asshole because you've clearly put a lot of work both into the flechette gauntlet launcher and the various melee powers. The former is neat but I think it'd be great if you could switch between it or still using flechette as inventory items on the magister mode, and similarly, if you could switch between the enhanced melee functions and default melee. This is just speaking personally but thats the one aspect of the mod I think moves too far away from the original game design, and even if I tried not to trigger them when playing, they pretty much will trigger as its hard to avoid doing so.

In a way rather than having the two seperated modes, maybe you could have it as a set of option tweaks, like spells or items, flechette launcher or inventory, enhanced melee or basic melee.

But I have no idea what would be possible or easy for you to do, so if thats not reasonable don't worry about it, but more customisation would be great.
With The modern magister mode, you can still keybind the flechettes if you prefer instant use rather than the gauntlets. TBH thats how i usually play, especially since i like using them to combo off of each other (place a gas cloud, use a gravity bomb to draw enemies into the gas, then pelt the cluster of enemies with green flasks) but i made both the launcher and the normal inventory method for people who prefer a more vanilla style approach (and less keybinds needed~) I do plan on retooling melee a bit to tone down some of the op stuff (accidentally set health and armor siphoning to be wayyyyy too high) so it won't be as absurdly op in the next versions. That said, if you simply hold down the melee attack, it will autofire into the normal attack cycle. As classic caster mode is fleshed out a bit more, its going to feel quite a bit different to the modern magister mode, much more of a vanilla plus in a lot of respects with the latter being the LOTS OF STUFF mode it's been swelling into over time :D
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

Well, in regards to the flechette hotkeys, I use a controller so its easier to use the inventory for them, especially when I figured out you can switch inventory items while paused.

But if the intention is to make the Classic caster mode to be quite true to the original gameplay, and its just about making it more awesome, I will be happy with that.
commode70x

Post by commode70x »

Upon attempting to start Heretical Doom, I get the error Fatal Error, with the message
Execution could not continue
3 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts

The errors it highlights are
Script error, "HereticalDoom 1.2.pk3:zscript.flechettes" line 280:
Too many arguments in call to A_SetBlend
Script error, "HereticalDoom 1.2.pk3:zscript.flechettes" line 301:
Script error, "HereticalDoom 1.2.pk3:zscript.flechettes" line 322:

I assume I'm supposed fix these before I can access the mod?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”