Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ryuhi

Re: Heretical Doom v1.2 - Making Melee Fun Again!

Post by Ryuhi »

While more melee weapons would definitely be fun, the staff and gauntlets are pretty trademark for corvus
Spoiler:
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

Been trying out the new update, and I thought I'd make some constructive suggestions and also ask about a possible bug or oversight.

The new melee techniques are cool, I do like the ones for the gauntlet, however the vaulting and hovering with the staff does in a lot of ways render the flight spell rather redundant. I suppose in a way it's a bit of a redundant point, the mod is more going for cool stuff than balance, I recognise that. I can be quite inane about features overlapping one another, I admit that, still I really appreciate the new classic caster mode, I'd maybe suggest adding some options for both modes letting you tweak things to your liking. I didn't mind at all that the flechettes were previously selectable weapons for example, and maybe switching between that and the gauntlet launcher would be a nice option to have.

Also might I ask if the gauntlet launcher can switch between the different flechettes? If it can, I could not figure out how.

And lastly, more of a real problem here, Classic caster mode on hexen, mana pickups do not add ammo for the weapons, but it does work for the default mode.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

hybridial wrote:Been trying out the new update, and I thought I'd make some constructive suggestions and also ask about a possible bug or oversight.

The new melee techniques are cool, I do like the ones for the gauntlet, however the vaulting and hovering with the staff does in a lot of ways render the flight spell rather redundant. I suppose in a way it's a bit of a redundant point, the mod is more going for cool stuff than balance, I recognise that. I can be quite inane about features overlapping one another, I admit that, still I really appreciate the new classic caster mode, I'd maybe suggest adding some options for both modes letting you tweak things to your liking. I didn't mind at all that the flechettes were previously selectable weapons for example, and maybe switching between that and the gauntlet launcher would be a nice option to have.

Also might I ask if the gauntlet launcher can switch between the different flechettes? If it can, I could not figure out how.

And lastly, more of a real problem here, Classic caster mode on hexen, mana pickups do not add ammo for the weapons, but it does work for the default mode.
The flight spell is mainly useful for wads that disable jumping, and for fighting from the air. (Think the baron room of HECTIC from Doom 64) While the staff mobility upgrades do replace some of its usage, i'd put it at about a half and half: Less necessary than it used to be, but can still prove plenty useful on different maps. I will likely someday make CVARs for each spell to toggle whether they are in your spell cycle, but thinking about all the checks involved matching with my current system makes my head hurt. still, an attempt shall be made, i promise~

to switch flechette types with the launcher, press reload. Altfire lets you duplicate them as well (for 10 mana apiece)

that was an oversight. I'll try to have a hotfixed version up in the next day or so, I thought i fixed it but I think I messed up a few actor names in the class check system for mana drops :( Thanks for the report though!
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

while im in there, if anyone else finds any other glitches let me know~
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

I greatly appreciate your response, right now I'm just trying to figure out how to get it all to work on a 360 controller effectively. That'll be no problem for classic caster mode, but I kinda have run out of useable buttons for reload and quick melee, that's why I couldn't figure out how to switch flechette modes, I didn't have reload mapped.

Now I know that most people here probably don't bother with a controller, but just speaking as someone who does, if in any way you think it'd make sense to consolidate some commands to reduce the amount of buttons necessary so it's more feasible to get it all comfortably working, that would be awesome of you.

But that said if it's nor a priority, classic caster mode is still there for me, it'd be nice to have the spells but the games themselves were probably more balanced for traditional item pickups anyway.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

thats a valid concern, especially since i've been trying to think of ways to reduce key bindings. I grew up with the Dark Forces series, so using half the keyboard is second nature to me, but I know most people think less is more. Trying to enable a control method similar to controller "double binds" might not be a bad way to work around that: tap a button for one effect, hold it for another, that kind of thing. I'll definitely look into it for future versions.

that said, I'd highly recommend mapping reload. even in classic mode, its used for switching modes for the crossbow. it also has extra effects for the staff and gauntlets :)
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

Yeah I noticed, those are cool effects. Whilst it's kind of against my instincts to say, disable the jump so I don't need a button for that, it would give more reason to utilise the flight spell and staff vault, so I will see how it goes with that.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

It seems that the damage of the gold wand alt-fire doesn't scale with level. Once you get far enough the primary fire ends up being way more effective in dps. Also, I feel like the fletchette launcher is a little too bad compared to using binds since using it is quite slow. Maybe nerf the speed at which you can spam them with the binds and allow extreme throwing speeds with the thrower?

EDIT: Discovered that the monster pack doesn't quite work with other mods properly as ammo drops aren't working. I'm playing it with Factotum and getting errors about BulletBundle.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Someone64 wrote:It seems that the damage of the gold wand alt-fire doesn't scale with level. Once you get far enough the primary fire ends up being way more effective in dps. Also, I feel like the fletchette launcher is a little too bad compared to using binds since using it is quite slow. Maybe nerf the speed at which you can spam them with the binds and allow extreme throwing speeds with the thrower?

EDIT: Discovered that the monster pack doesn't quite work with other mods properly as ammo drops aren't working. I'm playing it with Factotum and getting errors about BulletBundle.
the lack of scaling on the gold wand altfire is intentional, since its essentially a flak cannon shell that doesn't deal self damage. each projectile has a different scaling formula, some scale with every single level, some every few levels, some not at all.

as for the flechette launcher speed, thats also intentional. the quick use ones can be spammed mainly for combinations: putting down both a red and blue flask at the same time is pretty effective for crowd control, time freezing and throwing a bunch of green ones to release at the same time, etc. I've considered making a placement animation or imposing cooldowns on the placements, but they would ruin that functionality. In regards to the flechette launcher, its mostly for accessability and duplication, which is something you can't do with just the quick tosses.

for the monster pack, try loading it after the gameplay mod, and using the compat patch after the monster pack. I haven't tested it with every gameplay mod so im sure there are some that wont work with it, but the problem you mentioned should be fixed with the patch.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

No matter what mod I use (yes, I've been using the compat patch) I get the error
I'm using it with mods I'm 100% sure don't replace monsters. Using monster pack 0.3.
I checked the compat patch and it has nothing inside for fixing ammo drops.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

is it 0.3 or 0.3a? if the problem is what i'm thinking it is, that should have been fixed with the hotfix i posted shortly after uploading the incorrect version

0.3a replaced all instances of bulletbundle and rocketbundle with vanilla equivalents. try redownloading from the first post and see if it fixes it.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Ah. That did it. I'm an idiot. Sorry. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: It seems the wrong version is up for download. I redownloaded the exact same copy of 0.3 again from the OP instead of 0.3a. The archive is named appropriately but the files within it are wrong.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Dammit, looks like I packed the wrong version. sorry about that, the corrected version should be in the first post now.
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

I started Hexen on Magister difficulty and when I flipped the switch to obtain where the first weapons normally are, it just has healing potions. Is this intentional? The weapons are there on Wizard difficulty.

Edit - played a little more, got the Gauntlets so it probably is intentional but still asking just in case.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Is it intentional that you can't headshot enemies when playing the monster pack with other mods?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”