Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ryuhi

Re: Heretical Doom v1.2 - Making Melee Fun Again!

Post by Ryuhi »

Arkenbon wrote:Hey, I wanted to thank you for making this mod, it really modernizes Heretic in the best way possible. I'm looking forward to trying some episodes made for the game to play it as some sort of unofficial sequel.
As you seem to be pretty active, I've just run through the first episode of Heretic itself and I have a couple questions, though they relate to the mod I'm not sure if they're more generic gzdoom questions but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Is it possible or could it be made possible to disable camera shake? Like when getting a headshot on the undead warriors/axe throwers.
As this mod has more progression than the base game, is it possible to, when moving from one episode to the next, save progress? After beating the first episode, it felt kind of penalizing to start back at the first level with no inventory, even if that's how the game was initially designed.
I might just be dumb and not be setting everything up right.

Even though I'm happy with the mod as is, I can't wait to see what you decide to add in/do next, though I'm already a little short on space for my keybindings Haha
Thanks, glad you're enjoying it! Fortunately those can all be alleviated :)

For screen shake, there should be an setting in display options that lets you change its intensity all the way down to zero.
ZEpisodic is a fantastic mod that lets you play episode structured IWADs without resetting progress from episode to episode. works great with vanilla Heretic :)
As for keybinds, I'm trying to make them less mandatory with each update, especially for Classic Mode. the Flechette Launcher will be getting a buff so hopefully people will feel it makes a suitable replacement for future versions.
Arkenbon

Post by Arkenbon »

Ryuhi wrote:Thanks, glad you're enjoying it! Fortunately those can all be alleviated :)
Wow, thank you very much! I'll probably have to set the difficulty higher just to compensate now though, I swear I'm not playing this for a straight up power fantasy. :P
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

I do pretty much always play on either madman or the secret difficulty to make things harder, but I'll likely be retooling all of the difficulty settings to beef more of them up a bit.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Ryuhi wrote:I do pretty much always play on either madman or the secret difficulty to make things harder, but I'll likely be retooling all of the difficulty settings to beef more of them up a bit.
Even Golem?
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Another thing! When I had the flechette launcher selected and I used the Golden Morph Ovum, the floating flechette didn't vanish!
Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

Well this mod has certainly improved in the latest update, I really like most of the weapons powered alts, especially the gauntlets with the with all those rapid punches. Though the Phoenix Rod alt fire was a bit disappointing, maybe have it shoot out the fire wall to a certain distance to give it better use as an attack. Though everything else is absolutely splendid.
Still I have a couple of questions like if your gonna add more weapons playable characters? Is Sidhe's wrath gonna get a powered alt fire?
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Sidhe's Wrath and the firemace will both be getting powered altfires, and I'm keeping a list of all the glitches people have been encountering for my next update. Progress is going a bit slow though, so it might not be out for a bit.
Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

Ryuhi wrote:Sidhe's Wrath and the firemace will both be getting powered altfires, and I'm keeping a list of all the glitches people have been encountering for my next update. Progress is going a bit slow though, so it might not be out for a bit.
Oh then an you have the Fire Mace powered alt be magic rockets that are shot at rapid fire? Just can idea
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Any plans to do a Hexetical Doom to power up Brutal Hexen as well, by the way?
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

I've considered it, and i've been kicking around a few ideas, but my next project will be a bit different. Thats not to say I won't be coming back to it in the future, just might be a bit off.

I'd probably start with Baratus because I had an absurd amount of fun with the melee stuff I've been doing lately :D
mutator

Post by mutator »

the mod is pretty finished but are you planning to add anything else in it? I like heretic in doom it makes it great and i love the upgrade system
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

mutator wrote:the mod is pretty finished but are you planning to add anything else in it? I like heretic in doom it makes it great and i love the upgrade system
Aside from finishing the last few powered alts and some quality of life changes/polish, the gameplay portion of the mod is near completion.

The monster mod still has plenty of work to go though
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Ryuhi wrote:I've considered it, and i've been kicking around a few ideas, but my next project will be a bit different. Thats not to say I won't be coming back to it in the future, just might be a bit off.

I'd probably start with Baratus because I had an absurd amount of fun with the melee stuff I've been doing lately :D
That would be cool; I too love Baratus' play style, and the Hexen 2 Paladin as well. I generally liked Brutal Hexen Fighter, except the Crossbow, that didn't suit him at all.
hammer oz

Post by hammer oz »

Just been playing around with the new melee system and i think you made it TO GOOD :D which is not necessarily a bad thing I just cant stop using the staff now.
I know it seems this mod is nearly done by looking at other post but maybe you could ya know add some more whackyness to the other weapons perhaps plez :wub:
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Can't check right now, but the melee staff had a fluke in either the select or deselect state, making it dis-/appear instantly.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”