Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ryuhi

Re: Heretical Doom v0.9 - THE MAGIC SYSTEM IS BORN!

Post by Ryuhi »

I had an idea for the Iron Lich where he would have a hitbox that was only accessible when his mouth is open, so essentially create the idea of doing bonus damage by making him "eat" the projectiles. Unfortunately I havent been able to come up with a way to make that happen in practice :(
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Someone64 wrote:I think the universal headshots need to be optional in order to retain compatiblity with monster packs as it'll make fighting monsters that aren't specifically blacklisted too easy/nonsensical. Also, question. Are the items still collectible in Heretic? Actually in general the option for use of mana system or collection system would be really nice. Also I think the mana system needs balancing. Maybe it would be better if you turned what previously dropped these items into mana droppers instead of using regen so the item drops become a universal pool for whatever of the 4 items you want to use since they're now spells that use the same resource.

Would you be capable of making it so that the universal headshot system creates a menu with a list of available monsters along with toggles for them? It's a longshot but still. (Also, why aren't things like Cacodemons and Pain Elementals included in the blacklist? Quite Odd. Also are are Revenants included?)

You should probably also tone the headshot damage multiplier down to something more reasonable. Taking down tanky enemies is trivial with the wand now. If it's big enough of an issue without an easy solution I think you should just package the headshot script with your monster pack instead of the weapons pack then balance it specifically for it.
Yeah, some sort of mana drop would be nice. Maybe then you can make the mana pool and regen really slow/low at first, and increase with player level like health then.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

currently, if you reload with the gauntlets equipped, you recover 20 mana for the cost of 10 health. one could always shock themselves a few times to get full mana, then activate the tome of power and lifesteal their health back to full in seconds... or if there are no enemies around, there's always the self heal spell for the staff (also activated by pressing reload)

the mana regen improving with level is an idea i was looking into, but i'd have to find a way to script it better. hopefully i'll figure it out for future versions :D
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

A small taste of whats to come:

Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

That's a beautiful fountain. I wish I had this in MY chicken walkway. :/
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Nice! Would you say the weapon list is complete, using only the Heretic weapons, or will you be adding more in the future, like maybe some of the Hexen weaponry?
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

-Ghost- wrote:Nice! Would you say the weapon list is complete, using only the Heretic weapons, or will you be adding more in the future, like maybe some of the Hexen weaponry?
I'm not ruling out more weapons, but we're likely at the cap for the v1 release at least. I've been considering a Hexen based class for a while, and may opt to make a combined one utilizing strengths and weaknesses from all three characters, similar to how Samsara handled Parias. There's a lot of work still to be done on the monster mod though, so that'll be a ways off still.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That'd be a good way to do it, just a Heretic class and a Hexen class. Since if you merge the whole Hexen arsenal you've got plenty to work with.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Alright, so the decapitations are coming along nicely so far, and I got an idea:

Since a few people have asked about mana pickups, I decided to make the enemy skulls pickups. currently, an enemy skull will grant you 5 Mana, 5 health, 5 armor, and 5 experience. nice, right? WELL, if you shoot it out of the air like the demonic clay pidgeon of evil that it is, it will explode into a pinata of health and armor bonuses, as well as a mana pickup worth 50 mana! The third example above shows this in action :D

Thoughts? So far the plan for these decapitations will include most of the cast (gargoyles, mummies, knights, wizards, saberclaws, snakes, and werebeasts,) with custom death animations for when they lose their top.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Well that sounds kinda OP but it IS really cool. Probably wouldn't be too hard to rebalance.
Mr. Mir

Post by Mr. Mir »

I just wanted to say thanks for this, Brutal Heretic RPG is one of my favorite Heretic mods and I'm glad to see it's not just being continued, but improved and made to work with Doom.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Mr. Mir wrote:I just wanted to say thanks for this, Brutal Heretic RPG is one of my favorite Heretic mods and I'm glad to see it's not just being continued, but improved and made to work with Doom.
Thanks! I'm glad there are people out there enjoying my horrifying excursion into the world of coding, and I always love when people give heretic love :D
Well that sounds kinda OP but it IS really cool. Probably wouldn't be too hard to rebalance.
The magic system is adapting pretty much daily right now. For example, due to popular demand...

SPELL CYCLING IS HERE! no more binding everything to a quick button (unless you want to.) Its pretty ugly under the hood, but it gets the job done! The icon over the mana bar shows your currently equipped spell, and the name is displayed in color coded text at the bottom of the screen when switching. I actually finished the next spell in the wee hours of the morning so its not on that video, but there are plans for at least 2-3 more spells to add to the roster before the next release build. :D

Oh yeah, as a hint, the next spell will cost FIVE mana per second when active. its just that damn powerful.
Mr. Mir

Post by Mr. Mir »

I'm playing Heretical Doom in Hexen and it works fine except for the spells (there is no mana meter in Hexen) and the spare ammo counters for the Flame Orb and Mace Spheres don't show up on the regular HUD, but they do show up in the automap. Otherwise it's great playing a Corvus class in Hexen :D
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

yeah I've been neglecting hexen a bit with a lot of the newer changes, but I went and redid a lot of that stuff for the next release. I'll do the same with strife but thats a bit more of a headache to keep up with ;-;
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

New sneak peak footage of the version 1 release build so far (played with Bratwurstv3 and Maps of Chaos!)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”