Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
mutator

Re: Heretical Doom v0.9 - THE MAGIC SYSTEM IS BORN!

Post by mutator »

is this mod still alive? nobody has replied to this thread in a while
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

yeah its still going, progress has been a bit slow but I'm still actively plugging away at both the core mod and the monster addon.

I should have another release by the end of the year :)
mutator

Post by mutator »

yeah I had faith already that this mod was still in progress even though it was already good as it is but what made me sad was people stopped replying to this thread for awhile now.. you are doing good job with the mod and can you use vanilla heretic weapon sounds? also are you planning to add any upgrade system to the mod besides special attacks for each weapon? like ammo occasionally being replaced with upgrade kit that you use to upgrade your weapons... also are you thinking about adding body upgrades? which makes the player stronger
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

reworking sounds is part of whats been taking so long, both audio and sprite work are not really my field of expertise. Its been a bit slow going, but I'm making progress. I do plan to put a few vanilla sounds back in, either as they are or enhanced.

In regards to your upgrade questions, I can spoil this a bit i think:

- A while back I snuck in a formula to make the Gold Wand scale damage with your level (like the melee attacks currently do,) and it worked better than I expected. So look forward to more of that~

- The magic system has been fleshed out a bit, with more spells and a toggle system in addition to the quick keys.

-....Extra Lives?

There are a ton of other changes as well, but thats something to look forward to at least. You can actually see some of it in that Bratwurst cross compatibility video i posted earlier :D
mutator

Post by mutator »

Ryuhi wrote:reworking sounds is part of whats been taking so long, both audio and sprite work are not really my field of expertise. Its been a bit slow going, but I'm making progress. I do plan to put a few vanilla sounds back in, either as they are or enhanced.

In regards to your upgrade questions, I can spoil this a bit i think:

- A while back I snuck in a formula to make the Gold Wand scale damage with your level (like the melee attacks currently do,) and it worked better than I expected. So look forward to more of that~

- The magic system has been fleshed out a bit, with more spells and a toggle system in addition to the quick keys.

-....Extra Lives?

There are a ton of other changes as well, but thats something to look forward to at least. You can actually see some of it in that Bratwurst cross compatibility video i posted earlier :D
yes and I want to ask you something else also, are you going to take off the flying ability from ironlich? they can't fly in heretic so it feels abit out of place..
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

nope im keeping it, a lot of enemies have new abilities vs their vanilla counterparts and that is theirs. their flight speed is super slow so they barely move much more than they used to, but it helps them in doom style maps due to their replacement for pain elementals
Ryuhi

Re: Heretical Doom v1.0 - WE DID IT GUYS!

Post by Ryuhi »

Version 1.0 is here! I hope you guys enjoy damage scaling as much as I have been testing it, and as always please feel free to let me know if I broke anything in the process!

Major changes:

- Damage scaling with your level
- Time Stop is now a proper spell, and the Crossbow has a new altfire for both modes!
- The Mystic Urn had an overhaul, now works as a revival item!
- Quartz Flasks are even more plentiful to compensate for the missing healing item
- Less random starting stats!
- Kicks can now inflict headshots on appropriate monster mods (HDMonsters, Brutal Doom, Project Brutality, etc)
- A few more hidden powered altfires!
- A bit of sound effect restoration and reworking
- Improvements to the Firemace altfire

Check out the changelog and the original post for more details~

...Unfortunately, the Traditional Mode is taking a bit longer than anticipated, so it should hopefully be finished for the next release. I do also plan to balance Hexen and Strife a bit better than their current forms with future updates.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Congrats on the 1.0 release!

This is a minor thing, but would you consider replacing the Doom keys/keycards with Heretic or Hexen keys, to fit the aesthetic better? Most of the other items fit, so it can look weird to see a regular red keycard or something sitting there among the pickups.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

YOU FINALLY DID IT!
Can't wait to get my hands on these..hmm.. Heretical sweets :3
Mr. Ed

Post by Mr. Ed »

This is a lot of fun! Feels really punchy, and the RPG-lite elements make me feel all fuzzy inside.
However, the game now refuses to run with Strife. It gets the following error upon loading:

Script error, "HereticalDoom 1.0.pk3:decorate.spawners" line 101:
Parent type 'AmuletofProtection' not found in StrifeRadsuit
Script error, "HereticalDoom 1.0.pk3:decorate.spawners" line 153:
Parent type 'BrutalTomeOfPower' not found in StrifeTomeOfPower
Script warning, "HereticalDoom 1.0.pk3:decorate.hellstaff" line 119:
Unknown class name '' of type 'Actor'
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Mr. Ed wrote:This is a lot of fun! Feels really punchy, and the RPG-lite elements make me feel all fuzzy inside.
However, the game now refuses to run with Strife. It gets the following error upon loading:

Script error, "HereticalDoom 1.0.pk3:decorate.spawners" line 101:
Parent type 'AmuletofProtection' not found in StrifeRadsuit
Script error, "HereticalDoom 1.0.pk3:decorate.spawners" line 153:
Parent type 'BrutalTomeOfPower' not found in StrifeTomeOfPower
Script warning, "HereticalDoom 1.0.pk3:decorate.hellstaff" line 119:
Unknown class name '' of type 'Actor'
Glad you're enjoying it!

I've been doing most of my updates/testing with Doom and Heretic, so I might have accidentally broken strife compat. I'll try to have this corrected within the next week or so.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

First of all, I definetely like this mod, well done!
Second, I think that health items are somewhat redundant since I can heal myself with staff.
And the last, there is an error in KEYCONF Line 69:

Code: Select all

addmenukey "Cast Spell: Serenity" +rook
should be:

Code: Select all

addmenukey "Cast Spell: Serenity" +stahp
This mod is very nice, a bit of features and balancing and it will hit the top.
Last edited by Mere_Duke on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Heres a showcase video I made.
The only problem besides those mentioned above is that "dance" animation (pick staff and press 'q') should be a little bit reworked due to two end frames doesn't fit each other. But don't remove it it's funny :) I saw something similar in BaraDoom mod.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

thank you very much for both the input and the showcase, glad you're enjoying it! I do still have plenty of future plans for the mod, as well as the monsters addon (next version of the monster mod is nearly ready)

And thanks for the catch on the bad line, I was so caught up with the scrolling spell system i didnt proofread my keybinds :x
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

Spoiler:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”