Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RedoLane

Re: Heretical Doom v1.2 - Making Melee Fun Again!

Post by RedoLane »

AvzinElkein wrote:
RedoLane wrote:So after playing for a while, I noticed a few problems in hand:
- Even though I know what the Mystic Urn does, I can't use it at all. While checking it, you should add this item to the post's description, since it's missing from there.
- I get it that you're trying to use a ancient-accent text for the mod as a whole for the heretic feel, but when it comes to the level system messages and some item pickups, it only uses normal styled text. Do you plan to rewrite that?
- this is just my personal opinion, but I don't think mana should be refilled automatically. it decreases the challenge since you can use the spells with a simple-to-gain amount of mana.
- The gauntlets' altfire power has a too high level requirement(31), so when it comes to short maps, there's almost no chance to use that power. i'd suggest nerfing the level requirement to 25.

Aside all that, i'm having a lot of fun, especially with the new melee combos :)
Actually, the Urn is consumed automatically!
Really!? I already have 3 of those so that's weird...
If the urn is only used for revival after death, then it doesn't contain its full capability.

Also another problem I noticed right now: you can keep more than one silver shield, even though one shield gives you 100 armor.
the spare shields refill the armor meter automatically when the last one is destroyed, but there's no way to manually activate them.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

RedoLane wrote:So after playing for a while, I noticed a few problems in hand:
- Even though I know what the Mystic Urn does, I can't use it at all. While checking it, you should add this item to the post's description, since it's missing from there.
- I get it that you're trying to use a ancient-accent text for the mod as a whole for the heretic feel, but when it comes to the level system messages and some item pickups, it only uses normal styled text. Do you plan to rewrite that?
- this is just my personal opinion, but I don't think mana should be refilled automatically. it decreases the challenge since you can use the spells with a simple-to-gain amount of mana.
- The gauntlets' altfire power has a too high level requirement(31), so when it comes to short maps, there's almost no chance to use that power. i'd suggest nerfing the level requirement to 25.

Aside all that, i'm having a lot of fun, especially with the new melee combos :)
The Mystic Urn is a bit different from how it was in normal heretic, same with the armor items. The Mystic Urn will save you from the brink of death, and teleport you to the entrance of the map with full health. Think of it like an "extra life" if you will. The armors work in a similar fashion, automatically using the best one on hand as soon as your current armor depletes, and allowing you to store 5 of each type (like in Strife.)

Are you refering to the whole ye-olde-english style of the text? if so, yeah, I plan to go over all of it and get some consistency, just keep forgetting :x In terms of fonts, everything should be either raven font or indexfont (for tiny numbers) with the exception of things hard coded into the IWADS like intermission screens and episode selects (though I hope to have them cleaned up in the future)

Mana has a very ebb and flow approach to it, as almost all spells have an upfront cost in addition to their cost to sustain the spell. I've tinkered with the idea of non-regenerating mana that would require mana replenishment items, but that would be better suited to a mod that replaces the monsters as well. Its current system is similar to the experience system being based off of items instead of kills: its mostly to maintain compatibility with other mods as cleanly as possible.

for the leveled unlocks, check out the option for "Expedited Repitoire" in the Heretical Doom options menu, its a CVAR that lets you adjust the rate at which abilities unlock. By default, abilities unlock every odd level (3,5,7,9,etc) going up the chain of weapons and power, with the powered altfires starting after the normal altfires are finished. However that CVAR will make it so you get the melee altfire at level 1, the gold wand altfire at level 2, etc. Essentially, you should be able to get every ability by the end of a normal 9 map episode with that enabled :)

glad you're liking it though, the melee stuff was a lot of fun to make. To be honest, it'd got me pretty motivated to do the Baratus overhaul I was drawing up last year, so who knows :3
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

AvzinElkein wrote:...I tried using the Heretical Doom Monsters pk3 with the compatibility patch pk3 on Hexen and Chex Quest, but the monsters remained as they were!
This is an issue I am having, Ryuhi... :(
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

It used multiple urns with a death? It should be just a single one, then it will do the teleport to the beginning. Out of curiosity, which GZDoom are you using? I can try to replicate the bug to see whats causing it.

Also i decided not to make the armors manually usable for cleanliness of the inventory, I suppose I could always make it a CVAR to allow it to show in inventory or not
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

AvzinElkein wrote:
AvzinElkein wrote:...I tried using the Heretical Doom Monsters pk3 with the compatibility patch pk3 on Hexen and Chex Quest, but the monsters remained as they were!
This is an issue I am having, Ryuhi... :(
Sadly, I have not yet done monster replacements for Hexen, Strife, or Chex.
....yet. :D
Don't worry, its one of my next projects. The chex on in particular will be fun, I promise :)
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Ryuhi wrote:Sadly, I have not yet done monster replacements for Hexen, Strife, or Chex.
....yet. :D
Don't worry, its one of my next projects. The chex on in particular will be fun, I promise :)
So it only works for DOOM(2) and Heretic, then?
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Currently, yes. The compatibility patch pk3 is to use the monsters only with other gameplay mods, such as Trailblazer or LaTailorGirl
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Ryuhi wrote:Currently, yes. The compatibility patch pk3 is to use the monsters only with other gameplay mods, such as Trailblazer or LaTailorGirl
Understood; I see that the
Spoiler:
is disabled when playing with
Spoiler:
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

yeah, thats intentional. Its meant for vanilla monsters, it actually kinda messes up some of the logic with the HDMonsters addon.

I might add it to the next version of the addon, but for now its best to just stick with the Sorcerer or Madman difficulties for a challenge. Dont forget to check the CVARs for the monster behavior as well :)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Any chance of adding the blade staff from Heretic 2 to this? It might make for a fun staff upgrade, it was a surprisingly satisfying weapon in Heretic 2.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

I actually had someone else ask about that as well, It shouldn't be too hard to animate. I'll be toying around with the idea for future updates
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Ryuhi wrote:I actually had someone else ask about that as well, It shouldn't be too hard to animate. I'll be toying around with the idea for future updates
An issue regarding the Heretical Doom Monsters pk3: `Unknown item class ShellSpawner to drop from a random spawner`. I'm using (in order), Trailblazer, Heretical Doom Monsters, the compatibility patch, and zEpisodic.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Ryuhi wrote:It used multiple urns with a death? It should be just a single one, then it will do the teleport to the beginning. Out of curiosity, which GZDoom are you using? I can try to replicate the bug to see whats causing it.

Also i decided not to make the armors manually usable for cleanliness of the inventory, I suppose I could always make it a CVAR to allow it to show in inventory or not
I never said it uses multiple urns with a death, but I did say I keep in store around 3(currently I have more). Not sure how did you make that assumption..
either case, i'm currently using GZDoom 3.3.0
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

RedoLane wrote:Really!? I already have 3 of those so that's weird...
If the urn is only used for revival after death, then it doesn't contain its full capability.
I just misunderstood based off that comment. If there is no bug, then yay!

You can store up to 25 urns, 40 Quartz Flasks, and 5 of each armor type.
Bezhael

Post by Bezhael »

I looked inside the original Brutel Hexen and there were a few swords. They should be implemented along with the other melee weapons too.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”