Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ryuhi

Heretical Doom v1.5 - Cyberdemons and Maulotaurs, oh my!

Post by Ryuhi »

*This mod started as an offshoot of Seidolon's BrutalHereticRPG mod, with the intent to give it Doom (and ultimately Hexen and Strife) compatibility. To check out the original mod (as well as the equally nice Brutal Hexen Fighter mod) click here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=50697*

WANT TO TEST THE LATEST DEVELOPMENT VERSION, OR DISCUSS THE MOD IN GENERAL? COME CHECK OUT THE NEW HERETICAL DOOM DISCORD!
*Coming Soon: Bugfixes, More Vanilla+ enhancements, integrated compatibility for Heretical Doom Monsters, and more!*

DOWNLOAD V1.5 HERE!
HERETICAL MONSTERS(v0.4) <-UP NEXT FOR AN UPDATE, SHOULDN'T BE TOO LONG!

***The base mod Heretical Doom IS still compatible with monster replacement mods, if you would like to use them, please load them BEFORE Heretical Doom in your load list and disable the Vanilla+ option!***
-If the Vanilla+ monsters in Doom aren't to your liking, there is an option to reset them back to vanilla specs.-

***Monsters addon currently works for Doom/Heretic. Hexen, Chex, and Strife replacers not yet in place.***

*Use the compatibility patch if you would like to use HDMonsters with other gameplay mods that do not alter monsters. COMPATIBILITY PATCH WILL NO LONGER BE NECESSARY AS OF NEXT VERSION!

ICARUSLIV3S review of v1.0:

NOW WITH HERETIC, HEXEN, AND CHEX SUPPORT *FIXED FOR REAL THIS TIME*
-Strife is still a bit buggy, but IS functional with Modern Magister mode.

DON'T LIKE ALL THE FANCY NEW RELOADS AND MAGICS? CHECK OUT CLASSIC MODE!
*Works in Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Chex. Strife support for Classic Mode will come in future versions*
Also Corvette a cute.

Version 1.5 introduces a lot of improvements to the Vanilla+ Monsters option, as well as a lot of weapon tweaks, a new shock combo, revamps for multiple weapons, a powered altfire for the sidhe's wrath, pod kicking, and a whole lot more!
There are new help screens, as well as popup screens that give you information about abilities unlocked, as well as the effects of your selected spell. Feel free to bind them to help keep track of your arcane might!

Changelog 1.5
Spoiler:
--Heretical Doom Monsters v0.4--
Spoiler:
What is Heretical Doom?

Heretical Doom started as a spinoff from Seidolon's Brutal Heretic RPG mod, adapting many of its core elements over to Doom/2/TNT/Plutonia. The main goals of this mod are to create a fast paced, flashy, fantasy weapon mod for the Doom IWADS (While also later being universally compatible with Hexen, Heretic, and hopefully someday I'll get Strife to work properly!) For the most part this started as a Decorate and ACS tutorial for myself, but the more I learn the more I WANT to learn!

OK, cool, neat. Now why should I play this? I could just go play some other mod and pick Corvus!
I am personally a fan of high adrenaline gameplay mods, and I intend to keep Heretical Doom cranked up as much as possible. Gameplay is supposed to feel both overpowered and unforgiving: You will have all of the tools you need, but you need to be quick to utilize them. This is especially prevalent when paired with difficult monster mods/slaughterwads, or the Vanilla+ mode

Monster Mods? So there are no Monster replacers here? Also what the hell is Vanilla+?

Just a modular addon, which can be loaded after the core mod. I've always been a fan of rotating mods like Colorful Hell, BDMonstersOnly, Doomkraken's Monster Randomizer, etc into my playthroughs, especially when pairing them with different gameplay mods. This should also help with compatibility with different iwads later down the line. As for Vanilla+, it is the name for the optional built-in monster replacer, currently supporting Doom, Heretic, and Hexen. The vanilla roster of the given IWAD is injected with a bit of a boost to match Corvus and Corvette's abilities, leading to some devestating (and sometimes unexpected) behavior. Highly recommended, though it is optional if the changes prove to be too much.

THE WEAPONS
Spoiler:
THE ITEMS
Spoiler:
THE PICKUPS
Spoiler:
THE MAGICKS!
Spoiler:
RPG MECHANICS!
Spoiler:
A few Protips:
Spoiler:
Heretical Doom Monsters Addon

Heretical Doom is a revival/continuation of the Seidolon's Brutal Heretic RPG mod, with a scope of multiwad support. While the core mod focuses on bringing Corvus to other games like Doom and Heretic, Heretical Doom Monsters focuses on the armies of Dsparril following him as well (more deadly than ever!) The overall design philosophy of Heretical Doom Monsters is very similar to what it is with Heretical Doom... Fast paced, dynamic, arcane combat!!
Spoiler:
Features:

- Blast away at enemies with magic, bright, mystic weapons! pew pew~
- Weapons gain Alt-Fire modes as you progress, many of which make them extremely powerful
- Be the glass cannon! Tons of damage and speed, but be mindful of your health!
- Should be fully compatible with all main IWADs as well as most map packs!
- Does not alter monsters at all: Should play nice with Monster Mods and custom maps!
- COME ON WHO DOESN'T LOVE THE TOME OF POWER

TO USE:
RECOMMENDED TO USE GZDOOM 4.4.x OR ABOVE FOR ALL FUNCTIONS TO WORK CORRECTLY

Simply load the mod after any map/music pk3s, but before any monster ones. Not compatible with other weapon mods for obvious reasons. DOES work with DamNums, so other similar mods should be ok :D
Last edited by Ryuhi on Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 48 times in total.
Ryuhi

Re: Heretical Doom v0.2 - A Brutal Heretic Doom conversion

Post by Ryuhi »

Has anyone given it a try yet? Just updated the build, getting a bit cleaner by the day :)
Ghost Prototype

Post by Ghost Prototype »

Spoiler:
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Version 0.3 is ready! The new altfire for the crossbow is the main attraction, but there are a lot of other rebalances and pretty shinies to be had all around, so check the changelog!
Somagu

Re: Heretical Doom v0.3 - Getting our feet wet (with blood)

Post by Somagu »

No one seems to want to bite, so here's some constructive criticism and bug reports!

You seem to be aware of this, but ammo balance is absolutely all over the place. As a rule of thumb, weapons picked up from corpses shouldn't give a terribly significant amount of ammo, which is compounded by the fact that Corvus' arsenal is generally even more powerful than Brutal Doomguy's, on top of that he doesn't have to reload. The crossbow has way, way too much ammo, and dead shotgunner pickups should be worth 4 at most.

Pickups! I know some of the pickups are dual-ammo, but you can at very least give them pickup messages. It looks a bit gross to run over a mess of pickups and see "You got a pickup" a dozen times.

Megasphere calls for the wrong name for the invul ring.

Corvus' death sprite upon coming to a rest has blood floating in the air above him.

This is not really leveled at you as much as the original mod, but most of the weapons feel pretty samey before altfires.

I'm always pleased to see cross-iwad mods, and I'll be interested in seeing you set this further apart from Brutal Heretic RPG. As is, this is a good start, and unlike most of these types of projects, it isn't riddled with decorate errors from conversion. Keep it up!
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Thanks! The invul ring things was a typo i missed in the code (its InvuRing, not InvulRing... ;-;) but i already fixed it in my next version. I actually got a ton of stuff done in a short time since I released this version, so I might go straight to v0.4 by the time I would hotfix it.

Yeah the pickups thing is absolute laziness on my part, I plan to go through each item soon enough.

The death sprite one confused me from the original mod, I was trying to un-write the code that tried to give him custom death animations, but in the end i straight up player.pawned him instead of making him corvus based. I'll have to make sure I write in everything thats missing (I know he's missing some sounds too)

I have an idea for the Ammo. I do plan to tone it down a bit, but the new altfire for the crossbow is an example of ways im trying to make players want to spend those surpluses of ammo. I do agree on toning back the crossbow drop's ammo even further, make his altfire more expensive (or both?)

Thanks for the input, here's a teaser for next update: Altfires for the staff and gauntlets are pretty much finished, just need some balancing :D
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

About to try getting this started, but it would be awesome if you linked a stable build of GZDoom in the main post that is guaranteed to make this run relatively flawlessly. A lot of the later builds of GZDoom are a broken mess. The furthest I've ventured being a 2.2 build for Colorful Hell, and the Golden Souls 2 demos.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

GZDoom 3.1.0 stable is hardly a "broken mess" and 2.2 is practically ancient by current development standards. If you're using devbuilds you can't expect stability there.

8-)
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

Caligari87 wrote:GZDoom 3.1.0 stable is hardly a "broken mess" and 2.2 is practically ancient by current development standards. If you're using devbuilds you can't expect stability there.

8-)
Hey I'm only repeating what I've read on this site and tried for myself. A lot of mods require specific GZDoom versions in order to run, and that does include the devbuilds. Doom RPG comes to mind most prominently. As it stands, in order to run a whole lot of different mods, I have over 4 different versions of GZDoom on my computer. :|
Ryuhi

Re: Heretical Doom v0.4 - GET YOUR ALTFIRES HERE~

Post by Ryuhi »

There are a lot of newer functions that likely will not work properly in older versions of gzdoom, and i don't have every build to test them with. I cited 2.4 as the minimum since thats the oldest version i can test it on, and now it has some features that are not present in older versions.

that said, 0.4 is up! tons of weapon overhaul goodness to be had, and a new artifact!
vidumec

Post by vidumec »

great stuff!
all weapons feel and look really good
now, if only there was a fitting monster replacement mod
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

it should work perfectly with colorful hell, BDmonstersonly, and Doomkraken's monster randomizer
vidumec

Post by vidumec »

i thought about something like what wrath of chronos did. But adapting that would probably be a massive pain in the ass
Ryuhi

Re: Heretical Doom v0.4 - PROMO VIDEO YES

Post by Ryuhi »

Think I've hit a nice spot for the mod for now, feel free to let me know what you all think!
Ryuhi

Re: Heretical Doom v0.5 - LAST VERSION FOR A BIT I SWEAR

Post by Ryuhi »

Added Raven support, as well as tweaked a few things here and there. Also new altfire for the Firemace!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”