Page 2 of 4

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:19 pm
by Combine_Kegan
tsukiyomaru0 wrote:Bug found: if you keep holding the Primary Fire to deplete your missiles you'll be able to keep shooting forever. Seems there's no limitation to refiring. Only happens with the missiles too.

And in case you need to know: No, didn't use SV_InfiniteAmmo 1 and that CVAR doesn't work with these weapons. Nor does SV_FastWeapons (changing this to 1 or 2 actually makes the weapons SLOWER)


Oh crapbaskets I knew I forgot a bug that I was supposed to fix before launch. Added to the TODO list, also regarding your earlier remarks and stuff

1. Almost everyone these days uses the secondary fire, so why not make use of it for the bombs instead of reload?

I thought about that early on but I think using the wave and plasma beams is a little more important than the bombs
2. Once we get the Ice Beam we are forced to spend it before being able to use the Power Beam, which is bad. Imagine if you were forced to use all your Plasma and Rockets before being allowed to use the Chaingun in Doom, for example.

That's just me taking pages from the original NES Metroid, where the ice beam effectively replaces your standard shot. Granted the wave beam did the same thing but that's why it has its own dedicated button.
2.1 For this, I'd suggest taking the Metroid Dreadnought approach, where each weapon slot is a beam.
2.2 Of course, if this presents problem for the Missiles, just move the Missile Switch to Reload! Simple.

I don't think I'll be doing multiple slots, mainly because you didn't have such a luxury with the NES Metroid, and there'd be some issues keeping every beam mode visually distinct from one another on the rifle.
Spoiler:

3. Feels like the Power Beam is a bit thicker than it should. For example: I couldn't shoot the Shotgunguy behind the Red "doors" in Doom 2 Map02

Now this I agree with, I'll narrow it down in the coming update.

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:28 pm
by twinkieman93
Combine_Kegan wrote:I don't think I'll be doing multiple slots, mainly because you didn't have such a luxury with the NES Metroid, and there'd be some issues keeping every beam mode visually distinct from one another on the rifle.
Spoiler:

Incorrect. I've found it and it's a neat little toy, hehe. Just wish it had its own selection animation, like some kind of energy morphing effect thing. I do feel like its screw attack equivalent is a little underwhelming, maybe, but maybe there's a trick to it like there is with the screw attack itself that I haven't figured out.
Spoiler: Trick to the Screw Attack

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:39 pm
by Funky Gnoll
Frozen Demons and Specters don't throw shards when exploding if something (e.g. another Demon) is occupying their space when they explode.

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:44 pm
by Combine_Kegan
twinkieman93 wrote:
Combine_Kegan wrote:I don't think I'll be doing multiple slots, mainly because you didn't have such a luxury with the NES Metroid, and there'd be some issues keeping every beam mode visually distinct from one another on the rifle.
Spoiler:

Incorrect. I've found it and it's a neat little toy, hehe. Just wish it had its own selection animation, like some kind of energy morphing effect thing. I do feel like its screw attack equivalent is a little underwhelming, maybe, but maybe there's a trick to it like there is with the screw attack itself that I haven't figured out.
Spoiler: Trick to the Screw Attack


Oh woops, you shouldn't be able to store it like that, you're meant to fire it off immediately when you hit either fire button, that'll be another thing to fix, also the screw attack is more of a utility than a pure damage dealing item, seeing as while it's out you're able to pass through enemy fire and enemies themselves. As well as constantly emitting explosions and sparks.

Funky Gnoll wrote:Frozen Demons and Specters don't throw shards when exploding if something (e.g. another Demon) is occupying their space when they explode.

Damn it, that was something I thought didn't effect pinkies and spectres, added to the todo list.

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:06 pm
by Atendega
Damn near everything is vertically stretched. Remember to compensate for Doom's weird pixel aspect ratio!

Besides that though, this is actually a really interesting adaptation of the original Metroid's gameplay. I like it.

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:38 pm
by twinkieman93
Combine_Kegan wrote:also the screw attack is more of a utility than a pure damage dealing item, seeing as while it's out you're able to pass through enemy fire and enemies themselves. As well as constantly emitting explosions and sparks.

I disagree, the special attack is definitely the star of the show with the screw attack. It deals so much damage, pretty much anything I point it at short of bosses dies immediately. Why would I phase through enemies and their attacks when I could just melt them instantly?

If you want to incentivize using it for its utility I would make it to where there's little or no cooldown when you simply use it as a mobility/avoidance tool, and reserve the current couple-second cooldown for the special attack function, maybe even make the cooldown longer. To avoid just spamming the jump through hordes to tear them to pieces, you could make the sparks and explosions simply stunlock rather than deal any significant damage.

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:59 pm
by tsukiyomaru0
Combine_Kegan wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

You can also look into putting a Metroid Midi/MP3/OGG pack too, similar to how they did it with Contra Doom.

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:42 am
by Combine_Kegan
Quick update here, fixed the pinkies not properly ice gibbing, narrowed the player beam projectiles a little, and fixed the infinite missile glitch. I also fixed an issue with powered up missiles not doing proper damage at close range, WOOPS.

I've also buffed the speed and damage output of a few monsters.

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:39 am
by Overacheiver
Can you remove +COUNTITEM from the armors? Minor detail, but it made me real confused why there was still an item left to pickup.

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:47 am
by Combine_Kegan
Overacheiver wrote:Can you remove +COUNTITEM from the armors? Minor detail, but it made me real confused why there was still an item left to pickup.

Wow I don't even know why the hell I added that flag, I'll add that for the next patch, though if it's alright with you, I'm gonna hold off until some other issues pop up as well.

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:34 am
by Pompous Seed
Wow, neato. Your shenanigans are always a breath of fresh air, Kegan. Thanks for this!

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:01 pm
by tsukiyomaru0
Spazer doesn't last across levels, but I assume that is intended.

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:16 am
by twinkieman93
tsukiyomaru0 wrote:Spazer doesn't last across levels, but I assume that is intended.

It does spawn in berserk spawns so yeah I'm pretty certain that is intended, especially given how strong it is. Plasma spazer is a thing of beauty and now I understand why the Metroid games were so insistent that you never combine the two, hah.

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:22 am
by Doomenator
Spoiler:

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:59 am
by Combine_Kegan
Doomenator wrote:
Spoiler:


That's pretty damn cool