Space Hunter: vintage Metroid action UPDATE [4/8/20]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SladeEXE

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

Post by SladeEXE »

Encountered a problem with the HUD.
Screenshot_Doom_20170728_143847.png
[/s]

Never mind. I figured it out the problem. Running the mod vulkan.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

I love this mod! Really interesting change to the gameplay mechanics. The one thing I noticed that was clearly missing was a cameo from a metroid. Aside from that this mod was absolutely fantastic and I'm interested to see future implementations. Great job.
TheyCameFromHell

Post by TheyCameFromHell »

This is fuckin' awesome!
LukasG2004
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by LukasG2004 »

Is there deathmatch compatability?
Meyers07

Post by Meyers07 »

Pretty good! As usual, my feedback:
-Replace monsters to those inspired by Metroid but still act like Doom monsters, up to Kraid replace Cyberdemon and Ridley replace Spider Mastermind.
-A universal change of MAP30 to Mother Brain's lair. It will be the same as Icon of Sin but Mother Brain is more exposed, allowing it to be easier to shoot without the need to raise the platform. In exchange it will have more HP, and an escape sequence if possible.
-Replace the intermissions and endings.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Meyers07 wrote:Pretty good! As usual, my feedback:
-Replace monsters to those inspired by Metroid but still act like Doom monsters, up to Kraid replace Cyberdemon and Ridley replace Spider Mastermind.
-A universal change of MAP30 to Mother Brain's lair. It will be the same as Icon of Sin but Mother Brain is more exposed, allowing it to be easier to shoot without the need to raise the platform. In exchange it will have more HP, and an escape sequence if possible.
-Replace the intermissions and endings.
No metroid monster replacements, I made slight edits to the Doom monsters as I wanted this to be mainly be a Doomguy using Metroid weapons. Though I have more plans for that rifle weapon in the future. Just not here.
As for the level replacements and intermission/ending things, sorry but no, as I said in the GMOTA thread this is a wildly varying thing from .wad to .wad

I don't think I'll be doing any more major updates to Space Hunter anyways, as my current plans are to finish GMOTA and Combined_Arms and move onto making standalone games.
theroguemonk
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by theroguemonk »

looks amazing i still would like the normal sway of the gun ... amazing
Combine_Kegan

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid action UPDATE [4/8/20]

Post by Combine_Kegan »

I've done a small update for Space Hunter, including the option to manually disable the ice beam, along with CVARs to disable a certain monster spawning where chaingunners often are, along with their special weapon drops.
CasualScrub
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by CasualScrub »

Was not expecting Space Hunter to get an update. I often forget that this is one of your mods, since it's been unfortunately overshadowed by Combined Arms and GMOTA.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

I'm loving the gameplay mechanics and the art of this mod, but I find the sound effects irritating. Does any patch/addon exist that replaces them with non-retro sounds?
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I noticed a bug that I might have reported back then but has yet to be fixed: if I press the Secondary Fire key despite not having acquired the Wave Beam or Power Beam upgrade yet, monsters are still going to be alerted, even though I am technically not making any firing noise.

Also, a suggestion: could you add a visual cue or change to the weapon sprite to indicate the activation of the Ice Beam? A mere audio cue does not seem much and could be a problem for those with hearing problems or in the heat of combat, when it could easily get drowned out by other noises.
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:well, that's an easy choice, at least: get a bunch of Metroid tracker music! though the style of the soundtracks might be a bit unfitting for this type of gameplay, what with the bunch of ambient loops and such.
Or use a 8-bit soundfont. :wink:
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I noticed a bug that I might have reported back then but has yet to be fixed: if I press the Secondary Fire key despite not having acquired the Wave Beam or Power Beam upgrade yet, monsters are still going to be alerted, even though I am technically not making any firing noise.
Just a quirk with Doom weapons in general, if you were to hit altfire while playing vanilla with sourceports that add that key, it'll wake monsters up. While it IS possible to remove that quirk, it's not enough for me to go back to update this.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote: Also, a suggestion: could you add a visual cue or change to the weapon sprite to indicate the activation of the Ice Beam? A mere audio cue does not seem much and could be a problem for those with hearing problems or in the heat of combat, when it could easily get drowned out by other noises.
There is already a visual cue on the HUD, when you deactivate the ice beam, the ice beam ammo icon becomes gray and gets a line struck through it.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Really? I do not get that visual cue on my end and I have the latest version of the mod. :?
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Really? I do not get that visual cue on my end and I have the latest version of the mod. :?
and I just noticed I applied that effect to only the status bar HUD, even though they're identical. That's enough of an error that I want to fix it. Though I'm currently still on break from working on stuff. I'll apply that change in the near future.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Cool! Thanks. :thumb:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”