Space Hunter: vintage Metroid action UPDATE [4/8/20]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
tsukiyomaru0

Re: Space Hunter: vintage Metroid inspired action

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

twinkieman93 wrote:
tsukiyomaru0 wrote:Spazer doesn't last across levels, but I assume that is intended.
It does spawn in berserk spawns so yeah I'm pretty certain that is intended, especially given how strong it is. Plasma spazer is a thing of beauty and now I understand why the Metroid games were so insistent that you never combine the two, hah.
They first appeared in Metroid 2, where you couldn't have more than one beam upgrade (though seems either Spazer or Plasma had Wave's perk, dunno which), when they re-appeared in Super Metroid the Spazer and Plasma had similar interactions with Wave, with Plasma being longer and increasing sprite count more than Spazer, so if Spazer and Plasma combined normally (not via Murder Beam glitch) it would lag the game frequently.

They DO merge in Metroid Fusion, where Wide had the same function as Spazer, and then in Zero Mission the Wave Beam absorbed Spazer/Wide's function of making your beams "wider".
Doomenator wrote:
Spoiler:
What the hell?!
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

shit-the-bed this is something else! and brings back many happy memories of classic gaming of years past. also gotta say it looks great with the ega pallette or all that stuff tht doomenator added... nice work CK!
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i don't think that video has the EGA palette in it, just that texture pack from the MSPaint Doom Mod. the video also seems to have that wad which replaces all the sound effects with the PC Speaker blips, too (the sample rate is noticeably lower from the crispness of this mod's SFX though).
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i don't think that video has the EGA palette in it...
yes I know that.
I was talking about this post:
Batandy wrote:I've played for a while and it's definitely one of my favorite gameplay mods, great job!

I've paired it with the EGA Doom palette (https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/ega_pal) and it looked quite good :)
and doomenator's vid as seperate examples of what looks good...
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

I think the palette looks better personally- well, better in the sense that we're trying to make the game look worse- if only because being a palette it affects everything and not just the level textures. I didn't think to get an 8-bit sound pack though, i'll have to dig one up and give that a shot, because between that and using the OPL synth emulator option there won't be anything left in the mod that's not retro'd out, hehe.

EDIT: I couldn't find the exact mod that was used in the video, sadly, but I did find a mod that has the original PC speaker sound effects for Doom. It's not quite NES 8-bit-y, but, close enough! Get them here!
Last edited by twinkieman93 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overacheiver

Post by Overacheiver »

Noticed there's an .nsf file in the wad. If you need single track ones for music replacement, I can send you some I've made. Should help with the filesize.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

personally i think the video example is better, because the EGA palette is quite hard on the eyes, and i'd bet that if you used a tonemap for GZDoom, it'd make things look even more intense and straining on your eyes. it's all up to preference though.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Spoiler:
I made a terrible mistake! Abort! Abort!
Last edited by tsukiyomaru0 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Nuts.wad makes mods goes nuts when it comes to play 4 fun.

Anyway glad it's released for long ago. Even though i could've make NES style of projectiles for each monsters, but i'd say i don't know it's actually necessary. So yeah, nice work, kegan!
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Your Space Hunter inspired me to try and get back to making stuff... Maybe a Metroid Prime Hunters - Samus gameplay mod.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

Exosphere

Post by Exosphere »

This is a really fun little mod, and I've been having fun playing with it through several map packs. I also love the bonus weapon ;). However, I think I might have found a bug. It seems as though that some of the projectiles won't register when hitting certain enemies.

For example, I had found myself face to face with a hell knight and I fired a Plasma blast point blank; It did nothing, and I was killed. Similiar events have happened constantly when facing other enemies and it does get annoying (espcially since it is technically wasting ammo).

Another "bug" that I keep noticing is that certain upgrades might not carry over during level transition, such as the (three shot) upgrade. It seems random and there doesnt seem to be a pattern. Although I'm not sure if this is intentional on the part of the map makes or the mod itself.

Once again, this is a very fun mod, but it might need some more tweaking.

(Also, I feel as though the missile explosion radius is a little big)
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Exosphere wrote:This is a really fun little mod, and I've been having fun playing with it through several map packs. I also love the bonus weapon ;). However, I think I might have found a bug. It seems as though that some of the projectiles won't register when hitting certain enemies.

For example, I had found myself face to face with a hell knight and I fired a Plasma blast point blank; It did nothing, and I was killed. Similiar events have happened constantly when facing other enemies and it does get annoying (espcially since it is technically wasting ammo).

Another "bug" that I keep noticing is that certain upgrades might not carry over during level transition, such as the (three shot) upgrade. It seems random and there doesnt seem to be a pattern. Although I'm not sure if this is intentional on the part of the map makes or the mod itself.

Once again, this is a very fun mod, but it might need some more tweaking.

(Also, I feel as though the missile explosion radius is a little big)
The plasma beam definitely needs a tweaking of some kind, it fires ripper projectiles and it's a little on the unsatisfying side. However the Spazer triple shot upgrade does indeed get taken away after every level, it's incredibly powerful so its effects only last for one level.
Exosphere

Post by Exosphere »

Combine_Kegan wrote: The plasma beam definitely needs tweaking of some kind, it fires ripper projectiles and it's a little on the unsatisfying side.
Thanks for addressing this, but the problem I have noticed isnt exclusive to only the Plasma beam. Projectiles from all beam types, with or without the upgrades AND including missiles and the special weapon, can sometimes not register on enemies and it can get very frustrating, especially when going up against large groups or in space spaces.
Combine_Kegan wrote: However the Spazer triple shot upgrade does indeed get taken away after every level, it's incredibly powerful so its effects only last for one level.
Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying this fact.
Spoiler:
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Just so you know, the red flash that occurs occasionally is just the pain state, it does not mean that the projectile did no damage.

If you want to confirm it, just load up JP HUD viewtopic.php?f=46&t=46204&hilit=jp+hud and watch the monster's hp when you shoot it. It should decrease regardless if the pain state is triggered or not.

I've played this plenty of times, and I would have said something if I found out the players projectiles occasionally did no damage.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”