Nameless Lite RPG Mod 1.6.0 New spell system

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
-Ghost-

Re: Nameless Lite RPG Mod 1.6.0 New spell system

Post by -Ghost- »

Elie(T)Zerg wrote:Its bugged with Weapons of saturn too.... the monsters seems to be 0 level all time, i dont know if is the megawad with i test it -Whitemare- what makes the glich or the weaponpack... and usually in a random moment's up the level from X number to 999... but sometimes the glich fix itself... werid...
Weird, doesn't Weapons of Saturn only affect the weapons, not the enemies? Or is it because they drop the new guns or something?
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Another feedback about the push spell, can it be improved? I feel it doesn't do much since it just pushes enemies a teeny bit and doesn't cause infighting unlike the Disc of Repulsion so it absolutely feels like a filler spell that won't see much use, and normally you'd use this in narrow rooms where you'd need a breathing room so it causing an infighting and throwing enemies much more further away would make the spell more versatile and much more useful.
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

I just tried this mod and the Push spell absolutely causes infighting, as well as damage from throwing enemies into walls, even with no points in Magic Potency.
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

Holy Fire doesn't seem to work, though. I get a message about "I don't know what spholyfirecast is" or similar
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I was actually using the older version, but the push spell really works in the latest version. But thanks to Holy Flame being broken I can't update to the newest version.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I said before that I think this mod needs a rebalance. An archvile just killed me in just two hits despite having high health and really high stats. It was said that the defense stat was nerfed, right? Well, I think that maybe that should be reverted, or be re-implemented with differences thanks to enemies that can likely kill you in only a couple of hits, and it is frustrating! On vanilla that doesn't even happen. As of now the defense and strength stats (on beefier monsters) feel like they don't change anything, they just seem like some numbers to me since they don't do much that you might as well remove it and not notice a thing.

Disabling enemy scaling solves this problem, for awhile until you get into higher levels because there it actually feels that you're overpowered. I tend to balance my stats evenly, so if I am doing something wrong, please tell me.

Lastly, I don't get why most modders here get really nerf happy, as if they're afraid of their mod being called overpowered or broken just because there's something that makes it look unbalanced, and sometimes nerfs are the ones that actually break a mod.

ETA: After playing for a bit more I've started to think that the health stat is useless or you're increasing it just to prevent enemies from one hit killing you. No matter how high your health is, it'll always be equivalent to a normal 100% health since a few hits will kill you anyway, unarmored. I don't know if the buffed regen takes care of this since I haven't played the latest version that much but in the old version this can be a problem. If it's still is a problem then this mod really needs an overhaul.

ETA2: I edited the mod myself and tried increasing the effects of the defense stat increase and now I kinda think that the nerf put on it is justified seeing how you can reach 0.5 in just a fewer defense stats only. Still the way damage works on the mod right now is frustrating so there's gotta be a way somehow... I added OmniShields but it sort-of doesn't cut it, but hey, it still helps.
Tanksy

Post by Tanksy »

The mod gives me puke script errors when playing in multiplayer.

I also tried editing the scripts, and when compiling them Slade gives me an error, something to do with struct not being recognized or something. Slade also states that the RPGLite scripts when compiles are "Compiled ACS Script (Enhanced)", but when I compile it's "(ZDoom)"
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Another bug report: Monsters who have a really high health (the Black Cybie from CH being a good example) don't play well with this mod. If you're leveled enough and you have enemy scaling enabled, monsters with high enough health would just die moments after spawning.

On the other hand this works well with CH and the like even without enemy scaling because while you'll curbstomp weaker enemies, you'll still have to deal with the stronger ones, but with some bits of leveling here and there, maybe later you'll be evenly matched with the stronger enemies. But I think you'll have to lower the stat points you receive per level-up. Like how most RPGs works. But still I find that kinda sketchy on weapon mods like DoomRL...
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

I have essentially ceased all work on this mod, i just really don't know where to go with it. it is a base for anyone else who wants to use it as a basic groundwork for something more substantial. it was more an experiment to see if i could and i did. i may return to it but currently busy with newer projects, or if someone else wants to take up the helm and further develop it.

but from this point view this more a modding resource, freely use any aspect of the source code of this. open permission to pick anything you want from it. credit not required but appreciated.
Tanksy wrote:The mod gives me puke script errors when playing in multiplayer.

I also tried editing the scripts, and when compiling them Slade gives me an error, something to do with struct not being recognized or something. Slade also states that the RPGLite scripts when compiles are "Compiled ACS Script (Enhanced)", but when I compile it's "(ZDoom)"
Well this mods completely untested in multiplayer and is uncharted territory.

About the ACS errors. I used a different ACS compiler than the one gzdoom comes with, i used GDCC. it supports features the normal ACS doesnt, like structs. that's why they say enhanced.

4thcharacter wrote:Another bug report: Monsters who have a really high health (the Black Cybie from CH being a good example) don't play well with this mod. If you're leveled enough and you have enemy scaling enabled, monsters with high enough health would just die moments after spawning.

On the other hand this works well with CH and the like even without enemy scaling because while you'll curbstomp weaker enemies, you'll still have to deal with the stronger ones, but with some bits of leveling here and there, maybe later you'll be evenly matched with the stronger enemies. But I think you'll have to lower the stat points you receive per level-up. Like how most RPGs works. But still I find that kinda sketchy on weapon mods like DoomRL...
its an underflow error. its a limitation of the doom engine and i cant fix unfortunately. i am well aware of the balancing issues, some i cant fix without directly modifying monsters or weapons which defeats the whole purpose of this mod being widely compatible.
thevicejeebus

Post by thevicejeebus »

Anyone had an issue where their spells are all "disabled", with the red circle/line around them, no matter how much energy you have?
Came up while playing this (latest version) with Strife (Veteran Edition, latest version) with GZdoom v 3.0.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

monkeybtm6 wrote:-snip-
Why? It wouldn't hurt to release the new version that breaks compat w/ other mods, but leave the latest-but-old version that was still compatible with other mods. And not to sound like i'm hounding you but can you at least please fix the the Holy Fire spell bug?
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

Im currently working on a major overhaul that completely changes the way this mod works.

Stats are spells are going to be removed entirely. stats were hard to balance and spells were kinda useless. Some new skills fill the roles that some stats served, but have more noticeable effects for each point.

Heres a little peak:
Tranthula

Post by Tranthula »

Interesting, keeping a close watch. Plus I dig the hud!
Tanksy

Post by Tanksy »

Looks nice! Do you think this version will work better over multiplayer? The previous worked, to a point. Spells didn't work.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

I'm always down for an RPG mod, and this one's practically universal! Excellent job! It seems to work fine with Smooth DooM, Cosmetic DooM, and Final DooMer+, though it's best to load it last. The hud almost looks like a sideways Daggerfall one. I highly recommend this mod!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”