Nameless Lite RPG Mod 1.6.0 New spell system

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
monkeybtm6

Nameless Lite RPG Mod 1.6.0 New spell system

Post by monkeybtm6 »

Yet another RPG style mod wheeee

Time for my new project that replaces my previous. A very light barebones RPG mod that should sport high compatibility with other weapon and monster replacer mods. Or just the most vanilla doom experience you can have in an RPG mod.

This mod is very picky about load order, please use ZDL or load with INI settings! Always load it after weapons and monster mods.

Features:
Fucntions entirely through actor properties and ACS scripts, nothing is replaced in decorate.
Has a simple magic system, monsters will drop artifacts which when used consume mana instead of being used up.
4 stats that effect your max health, damage delt, mana, and damage received.
Works in doom, doom 2, final doom, and even heretic!

Artifacts:
Spoiler:
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Requires GZDoom 2.1.1 and up

DownLoads:
Stable

Heretic Patch
Hexen Patch
Strife Patch

Github

Known incompatible mods:
Spoiler:
Changelogs:
Spoiler:
Last edited by monkeybtm6 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:01 am, edited 11 times in total.
SeriousWeasle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Nameless Lite RPG Mod 1.0

Post by SeriousWeasle »

This is a great little RPG mod, pretty much one I have been looking for for a while. It is quite well balanced and highly compatible with other mods, which makes this a great mod for use in modpacks and it gives me the option to combine it with pretty much any mod I want.

One thing I would like to see is the option to make the mod write to a file, like the gzdoom-[username].ini file or something so your stats will be remebered across mappacks, kind of like FragTrak, that is, if you intend on adding this feature.

EDIT: The function to save your character is already implemented, I should have tried every option before commenting.
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

SeriousWeasle wrote:This is a great little RPG mod, pretty much one I have been looking for for a while. It is quite well balanced and highly compatible with other mods, which makes this a great mod for use in modpacks and it gives me the option to combine it with pretty much any mod I want.

One thing I would like to see is the option to make the mod write to a file, like the gzdoom-[username].ini file or something so your stats will be remebered across mappacks, kind of like FragTrak, that is, if you intend on adding this feature.

EDIT: The function to save your character is already implemented, I should have tried every option before commenting.

yeah the features already there but i have it off by default since its still not very well polished, like no way to clear the save data and whatnot. best way to reset it to turn it off. start a new game, then pause and turn it back on.
SeriousWeasle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SeriousWeasle »

After playing for a little bit, I encountered an error message. In the console appeared red text saying:
"unknown item class SPBlur to drop from a random spawner"
I assume that I was supposed to get a blursphere artifact, because the speed artifact item was called SPSpeed. When I tried to summon the command "summon SPBlur" the console returned:
"unknown actor 'SPBlur'"
This error fortunately does not crash the game, so the mod is still completely playable apart from being able to obtain a blursphere artifact.

EDIT: In case it helps, I was using GZDoom github build "gzdoom-x64-g3.0pre-52-g82b0326"
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

SeriousWeasle wrote:After playing for a little bit, I encountered an error message. In the console appeared red text saying:
"unknown item class SPBlur to drop from a random spawner"
I assume that I was supposed to get a blursphere artifact, because the speed artifact item was called SPSpeed. When I tried to summon the command "summon SPBlur" the console returned:
"unknown actor 'SPBlur'"
This error fortunately does not crash the game, so the mod is still completely playable apart from being able to obtain a blursphere artifact.

EDIT: In case it helps, I was using GZDoom github build "gzdoom-x64-g3.0pre-52-g82b0326"

Simple fix, already hotfixed it so just try re downloading. accidentally put the wrong name in the spawner
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

There is one problem when combining this mod with Legendoom.

Code: Select all

ACS: I don't know what blue is
Legendoom Lite works fine, though.

Edit: I found that it doesn't work well with weapon mods that change up the hud. That, and I hardly seem to notice Attack making my shotgun and pistol weapons any stronger.
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

dljosef wrote:There is one problem when combining this mod with Legendoom.

Code: Select all

ACS: I don't know what blue is
Legendoom Lite works fine, though.

Edit: I found that it doesn't work well with weapon mods that change up the hud.
Load order is important, if the weapons mod changes the hud make sure its loaded after this one, course you wont get this ones custom hud but you can always check your stats and experience in the menu.

That said waay more is broken with legendoom here, it was a mod i didnt test. sorry but i dont think this'll work with legendoom, and i dont think i can make a patch for it either. sorry man.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Oh, ok.

Anyways, other than that, the mod works great so far.
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

dljosef wrote:Oh, ok.

Anyways, other than that, the mod works great so far.
Shame really, but yeah dont think i can patch this one, still let me know if you find more, i should be able to make mod specific patches for others.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I do have a quick suggestion: displaying a targeted monster's health.

It'd work great where you want to know how much health a boss monster has left, particularly to see how well you're doing against bosses such as ones from Colourful Hell. (Legendoom Lite works fine with this mod, I also found)

And is it just me, or does the attack stat feel like it's not really giving me much unless I pump a lot of points into it?
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

dljosef wrote:I do have a quick suggestion: displaying a targeted monster's health.

It'd work great where you want to know how much health a boss monster has left, particularly to see how well you're doing against bosses such as ones from Colourful Hell. (Legendoom Lite works fine with this mod, I also found)

And is it just me, or does the attack stat feel like it's not really giving me much unless I pump a lot of points into it?
Attack stat works on percentage so it does need a lot of points put in to have any noticeable effect on weaker weapons, bigger weapons however should see bigger boosts.
Crimsondrgn

Post by Crimsondrgn »

Doesn't seem to play nice with the Aracnocide weapons only version.

It either gives you the Aracnocide HUD but squeezed into the top left corner of the screen, or the RPG HUD but with weapon names going through the ammo bars and wrapping around to the other side of the HUD.

Maybe the latter could be fixed by making the two ammo bars horizontal, ammo reserve on bottom, ammo in the weapon above that, ammo counts to the left or right of them, and weapon name going across the top bar slightly above it, it would be more in line with the health, mana, armor bars that way too.

If it helps, the console tosses up "ACS: I don't know what SmokeEffects is." when loading the RPG mod after, it doesn't pop up if RPG loads first, but the small, top left of the screen HUD remains.
Last edited by Crimsondrgn on Thu May 04, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Also found another problem. It doesn't really work well with this mod ( viewtopic.php?f=43&t=54303&p=956432&hil ... un#p956432 ), as it makes the guns do zero damage, for some reason. chainsaw still works fine, though.
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

Crimsondrgn wrote:Doesn't seem to play nice with the Aracnocide weapons only version.

It either gives you the Aracnocide HUD but squeezed into the top left corner of the screen, or the RPG HUD but with weapon names going through the ammo bars and wrapping around to the other side of the HUD.

Maybe the latter could be fixed by making the two ammo bars horizontal, ammo reserve on bottom, ammo in the weapon above that, ammo counts to the left or right of them, and weapon name going across the top bar slightly above it, it would be more in line with the health, mana, armor bars that way too.

If it helps, the console tosses up "ACS: I don't know what SmokeEffects is." when loading the RPG mod after, it doesn't pop up if RPG loads first, but the small, top left of the screen HUD remains.
yeah ALWAYS load my mod first, those hud problems i think i know the problem, will make a fix ASAP.
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

dljosef wrote:Also found another problem. It doesn't really work well with this mod ( viewtopic.php?f=43&t=54303&p=956432&hil ... un#p956432 ), as it makes the guns do zero damage, for some reason. chainsaw still works fine, though.
Ill add that to the list, both that and legendoom are ACS heavy mods, and so is RPG lite. saddly dont think i can fix either.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”