scalliano's SUPER Shuffle! - MASSIVE UPDATE!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
salahmander2

Re: scalliano's SUPER Shuffle! - MASSIVE UPDATE!

Post by salahmander2 »

Spaceman333 wrote: I ran into that issue when playing with the FastMonsters mode back in the previous version, but it not the culprit here. On the screenshot I posted, any live monster is red color, but I've killed them all and then used the "kill monsters" console command to verify it and the problem still persisted.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to decorate, so this might be a dumb question; see this state:

Code: Select all

Death:
		BBRG H 5
		BBRG I 5 A_Scream
		BBRG J 5 A_NoBlocking
		BBRG K 5 A_CustomMissile("SourceGuardianDetonator", 32, 0, Random(6, -6), 0)
		BBRG L -1
		Stop
Does the "-1" on the second last line, before "stop" prevent the actor from fully dying, thus causing the killcount bug?
I can't see anything wrong with it causing the bug in question.

This one is aimed at Scalliano, the Flak ammo and the Cryo bolts, I don't get any ammo for them from a backpack. Was it an accidental design flaw?
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

salahmander2 wrote:
Spaceman333 wrote: Does the "-1" on the second last line, before "stop" prevent the actor from fully dying, thus causing the killcount bug?
I can't see anything wrong with it causing the bug in question.
Yeah, I just looked up zdoom wiki for vanilla monsters and they do the -1 frame thing too, so that was not a cause.

Anyway, I just spent brute-forcing the living crap out of the whole mod that I think I may have finally fixed the killcount issue completely! I played two massive 1000 monter maps and they both successfully completed with 100% kills! HURRAH! :D

https://a.catgirl.pw/ujdmet.pk3 (Its my zzmwr2base.pk3 file so rename it to that if you d/l it, the upload site renamed it for some reason. *shrug*)

I lost track which monsters caused the bug, but one of the biggest culprits inflated the killcount by spawning a visual effect actor that was classified a monster for some wierd reason. I think that was the reason I got 200 unlisted monsters on the killcounter in the map screenshot I posted on the previous page. The monster was HammerHound if I remember right.

The file I uploaded also fixed the startup errors, has rebalanced weapons and introduces a new chance for rare items to appear. :rock:
terrorfired28

Post by terrorfired28 »

Really cool mod. I just have one problem, when I try to use it with beautiful doom or the ketchup mod it causes both enemy and player blood spatter to appear as black boxes. Any ideas on why this is?
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

terrorfired28 wrote:Really cool mod. I just have one problem, when I try to use it with beautiful doom or the ketchup mod it causes both enemy and player blood spatter to appear as black boxes. Any ideas on why this is?
Neither of those mods are compatible with this mod. If you want gore, get Lud's Universal Gibs, the only (and best) gore mod that can used on top of any existing monsters seamlessly.
terrorfired28

Post by terrorfired28 »

Spaceman333 wrote:
terrorfired28 wrote:Really cool mod. I just have one problem, when I try to use it with beautiful doom or the ketchup mod it causes both enemy and player blood spatter to appear as black boxes. Any ideas on why this is?
Neither of those mods are compatible with this mod. If you want gore, get Lud's Universal Gibs, the only (and best) gore mod that can used on top of any existing monsters seamlessly.

Thanks dude, works like a charm!
salahmander2

Post by salahmander2 »

I found something quite odd but hilarious, using the IDFA cheat and using the Soulrender, once there's no monsters in range, the soul beam targets me! I guess that's what I get for being cheap. :P
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

salahmander2 wrote:I found something quite odd but hilarious, using the IDFA cheat and using the Soulrender, once there's no monsters in range, the soul beam targets me! I guess that's what I get for being cheap. :P
I didn't cheat and occasionally it would zap me too. I've partly prevented it by using my Omnishields mod when using weapons like the devastator, soulrender and the pyrocannon.

That said I think it needs fixing. Maybe its missing a +FRIENDLY flag or something.
salahmander2

Post by salahmander2 »

Upon further inspection, I've noticed it seems to do it on Community Chest IV. Very strange indeed, never reproduced the issue on any other WAD.
UTNerd24

Post by UTNerd24 »

AWW YEAH! Great to see this back, Scalli! It even seems that adding additional assets doesent break the whole mod this time! Either that or i've learnt a bit since the last time I tried scripting.
Not to worry, I only used Realm667 stuff and the Doom 3 Imp that is for some reason neglected.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Posting an unofficial update that fixes most bugs, adds a new bonus weapon, brings out more loot and special items that almost never spawned, rebalances many weapons and cranks up the shuffling to 11:

https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/dow ... 333-update

(I can take it down if its not okay with you Scalliano, just wanted to share months of tweaking this mod with others)
Mackery

Post by Mackery »

Are you planning on adding any more characters? I have suggestions if you are... I really like how this is like a cross-over style Doom mod where characters from different mods collide. Reminds me of Smash Bros.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Okay, so thanks to RL I've been out of the loop for a while and only came back to the forums when it was brought to my attention that someone else had stolen my old mod (among other things) and I had to lay down the banhammer.

@Spaceman333: Having only just discovered the above tweaked version without having time to try it out for myself, here's why I'm going to seem like a total hypocrite by letting it stand.

First up, I was aware that this was being done, even if I didn't know it had been uploaded. Also, as far as I can tell, nothing has been nicked from anywhere else and this is literally just a series of tweaks to spawns and weapon stats, or in other words, you're trying to help. This I can get behind and in all fairness, I could probably do with a bit of assistance in trying to keep track of everything. I'll be giving your version a spin over the coming days and, if you don't mind, might incorporate some of the changes into the main mod if they're good enough. Actually, if you could let me know what bugs you were able to fix, that'd be great.

@Mackery: As for new characters, I'm hoping to get a few more in there, but I need to sort out that all-important permission before I proceed. Also, I really wanna finish ToPII before I do anyhting else because it's driving me crazy at this point.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

I don't think that is hypocritical at all scalliano. Intention is everything. Its also posted helpfully in the original mod thread, not a new one, plus it makes no claims to be something it isn't. A nice updated bug fix/slightly more polished release. Personally, I've been playing the Spaceman version for a while and appreciate the effort. It'd be awesome to see you put some love back into this thing yourself though, being that you created it and whatnot lol.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

scalliano wrote:Okay, so thanks to RL I've been out of the loop for a while and only came back to the forums when it was brought to my attention that someone else had stolen my old mod (among other things) and I had to lay down the banhammer.

@Spaceman333: Having only just discovered the above tweaked version without having time to try it out for myself, here's why I'm going to seem like a total hypocrite by letting it stand.

First up, I was aware that this was being done, even if I didn't know it had been uploaded. Also, as far as I can tell, nothing has been nicked from anywhere else and this is literally just a series of tweaks to spawns and weapon stats, or in other words, you're trying to help. This I can get behind and in all fairness, I could probably do with a bit of assistance in trying to keep track of everything. I'll be giving your version a spin over the coming days and, if you don't mind, might incorporate some of the changes into the main mod if they're good enough. Actually, if you could let me know what bugs you were able to fix, that'd be great.
Thats hilarious, I had thought you knew all this time but just were too busy in real life to respond to it. :D
I didn't think a PM was needed since I posted it on your thread and you had been active some time before it.

But yeah, the main features of this unofficial update are:
  • All map 100% Monster Kill issues have been resolved.
  • The replicating lost-soul Shade had its cloning ability nerfed to prevent it from multiplying by the hundreds in difficulties with Fast mode on.
  • All weapons tweaked/balanced/buffed/adjusted so that they're all useful and more distinct with their variants.
  • Cleaned up a lot of rogue actors used in weapon effects that failed to delete themselves, causing them to stay around permanently (example in the current official version of the mod: Fire the Soul Render cannon at full power, then switch to automap view, hit IDDT IDDT and you'll see a dense trail of invisible objects that were left there permanently to stick around)
  • The randomization file has been changed drastically to loot drop everything the mod has to offer, making spheres, usable items and more obscure or unused weapons and items available and more common.
  • Overall the gameplay has been made slightly more buffed for the player's benefit with increased weapon damage.
Aside from the otherwise unused experimental homing rocket launcher from /vr/, which can be added into the mix as an optional addon, there is no new content nor changes in visuals/graphics. Its just polish, fixes, tweaks and adjustments of existing content across the board.

And YES, please do incorporate anything and everything you like from the update. I made the unofficial update to fix all the bugs that were harming gameplay (100% kills on a map not being possible) and tweak some things to make unavailable content appear in the game (certain fully functioning items not spawning ever or *extremely* rarely) and make certain weapons not become useless in my arsenal the moment I pick up something else.

I must point out that there is an element of personal preference in the unofficial patch for more overpowered, chaotic experience with the abundance of loot drops for things that provide significant boosts and increased weapon damage. I must also disclose that I play the mod with an addon called Omni Shields that I made, which allows me to get temporary god mode and use weapons like rocketlaunchers up close and survive ambushes and map encounters that otherwise would be impossible to handle with the monsters of this mod, so the experience I play is closer to Russian Overkill lite than vanilla Doom 2.

This is just how I prefer and enjoy this mod the most.

If you're cool with that, you can simply take the unofficial update and use it as the main base for the mod for future development to add new content. If not, then you can copy all the monsters, the randomizer loot file and the soul render cannon from this unofficial update into your dev branch.

Since its been many months since I worked on the update and many more months since I released it, I don't even remember all the fixes I did. The monsters and soul render are the only I vividly still remember. It may be safest to just use the unofficial version as a base and work from there I think.

EDIT:
I also remember there were a few things I was not able to fix in the unofficial update:
  • The ally demon summoning sphere item, the one that can spawn a friendly pinky, baron or archvile, is also supposed to spawn a "Scalliano" character too, but I think its not working since either I've never been lucky enough to get them or whenever I did, the item seemingly summoned no ally character at all.
  • The Soul Render can occasionally harm the player when firing its projectile. I think the projectile actor accidently shoots the player with a lightning blast when the soul render shot is very close to the player.
  • The Devastator BFG damages the player, even thought I've tried to make the explosions not harm the player and made the projectiles friendly. Not sure how to fix it or if its working as intended.
Mackery

Post by Mackery »

Spaceman333 wrote:
scalliano wrote:Okay, so thanks to RL I've been out of the loop for a while and only came back to the forums when it was brought to my attention that someone else had stolen my old mod (among other things) and I had to lay down the banhammer.

Thats hilarious, I had thought you knew all this time but just were too busy in real life to respond to it. :D
I didn't think a PM was needed since I posted it on your thread and you had been active some time before it.

But yeah, the main features of this unofficial update are:
  • All map 100% Monster Kill issues have been resolved.
  • The replicating lost-soul Shade had its cloning ability nerfed to prevent it from multiplying by the hundreds in difficulties with Fast mode on.
  • All weapons tweaked/balanced/buffed/adjusted so that they're all useful and more distinct with their variants.
  • Cleaned up a lot of rogue actors used in weapon effects that failed to delete themselves, causing them to stay around permanently (example in the current official version of the mod: Fire the Soul Render cannon at full power, then switch to automap view, hit IDDT IDDT and you'll see a dense trail of invisible objects that were left there permanently to stick around)
  • The randomization file has been changed drastically to loot drop everything the mod has to offer, making spheres, usable items and more obscure or unused weapons and items available and more common.
  • Overall the gameplay has been made slightly more buffed for the player's benefit with increased weapon damage.
Aside from the otherwise unused experimental homing rocket launcher from /vr/, which can be added into the mix as an optional addon, there is no new content nor changes in visuals/graphics. Its just polish, fixes, tweaks and adjustments of existing content across the board.

And YES, please do incorporate anything and everything you like from the update. I made the unofficial update to fix all the bugs that were harming gameplay (100% kills on a map not being possible) and tweak some things to make unavailable content appear in the game (certain fully functioning items not spawning ever or *extremely* rarely) and make certain weapons not become useless in my arsenal the moment I pick up something else.

I must point out that there is an element of personal preference in the unofficial patch for more overpowered, chaotic experience with the abundance of loot drops for things that provide significant boosts and increased weapon damage. I must also disclose that I play the mod with an addon called Omni Shields that I made, which allows me to get temporary god mode and use weapons like rocketlaunchers up close and survive ambushes and map encounters that otherwise would be impossible to handle with the monsters of this mod, so the experience I play is closer to Russian Overkill lite than vanilla Doom 2.

This is just how I prefer and enjoy this mod the most.

If you're cool with that, you can simply take the unofficial update and use it as the main base for the mod for future development to add new content. If not, then you can copy all the monsters, the randomizer loot file and the soul render cannon from this unofficial update into your dev branch.

Since its been many months since I worked on the update and many more months since I released it, I don't even remember all the fixes I did. The monsters and soul render are the only I vividly still remember. It may be safest to just use the unofficial version as a base and work from there I think.

EDIT:
I also remember there were a few things I was not able to fix in the unofficial update:
  • The ally demon summoning sphere item, the one that can spawn a friendly pinky, baron or archvile, is also supposed to spawn a "Scalliano" character too, but I think its not working since either I've never been lucky enough to get them or whenever I did, the item seemingly summoned no ally character at all.
  • The Soul Render can occasionally harm the player when firing its projectile. I think the projectile actor accidently shoots the player with a lightning blast when the soul render shot is very close to the player.
  • The Devastator BFG damages the player, even thought I've tried to make the explosions not harm the player and made the projectiles friendly. Not sure how to fix it or if its working as intended.
Well so far, I am enjoying both the Super Shuffle and the patches made as well.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”