WW-Cola3 [v2.5 bugfix release, 5/31/2019]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
shadstarn

Re: WW-Cola3 [Almost there!][wip]

Post by shadstarn »

wildweasel wrote:Immersion is really the opposite of the goal I have for this mod. I mean, you've already got weapons with absurd marketing slogans, a weapon literally called the Toothpaste Laser, and random fruit laying around...if anything, the goal of this mod is to break as much immersion as possible. So in effect, you've demonstrated that I'm doing it right!
hahaha its ridiculous and funny
i like the idea in a way to drink floating soda blobbs....
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Quick question Weasel, will there be alt-fire modes for some weapons? It'd be cool to have a more powerful attack at the cost of bubbles or something like in your Style Mod.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I was honestly considering moving the melee attack to alt fire instead.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

I do like the idea of a more powerful attack that draws from your XP--and it would solve the late-game problem of having all your guns at level 3, especially in maps or megawads that wait a while before giving you new guns.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Okay, then that's gonna take more brainstorming - because not only does that mean I get to come up with a new altfire for 7 weapons, it also means I need to come up with a Level X version of each of those for that ultimate "fuck you and every pixel you were drawn with" firepower.

Speaking of level X, should the soda grenades be affected by it, too?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Yes, i think.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

It has been a couple days since the last update, yes, but thanks to the inspiration of dawnbreez, Nyss, Slax, and DJ Arghlex, I'm at least partially on the way to giving all the weapons EXP-costing altfires, among other fixes and changes. 2 out of the 7 supported weapons (the dual shotguns are exempt because they already have an altfire!) now have complete altfires - now I must take a break before brainstorming the other 5. Don't want to wear myself out, now...

[edit] I guess this mod is kind of a ww-style sequel now, huh
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

You've done a great job with thinking such concepts. Get some cool stuff! Probably you can think up for some wackier stuff later.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Welcome to another brand new public build!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4AcTi ... sp=sharing

The changes this time are quite enormous so bear with me as I try to remember them all...
- The previous HUD is now on the Statusbar mode, so if you prefer that one, you will need to shrink your screen size by one notch. This makes room for...
- The new Fullscreen HUD! Perfect for people running smaller screen resolutions (DISCLAIMER: Untested at any actual low resolutions, please report any issues you have!) or people who use the screen scaling slider in Video Options.
- The amount of experience you lose when taking damage is now dynamically adjusted per difficulty. I have not put any real balance into this yet, I just chose arbitrary numbers in hopes that they'll stick.
- BRAND NEW ALTFIRES! Alternate fire modes on nearly all weapons (except the Dual Shotguns and Toothpaste Laser) grant you access to new, more powerful attacks at the cost of EXP. It is not possible to level down from overusing altfires (except when using the Cards), but it does make you more vulnerable to losing a level when you take damage. Altfires are also affected by Level X, whether from Zero-Cal Cola or Tome of Power, so please experiment.
- I'm rather proud of the Cards now. There's some goodness to be found all over that specific weapon. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it.
- ReGen Cola's powerup effect no longer appears in the inventory bar if you pick up more than one.
- The "mercy invincibility" effect was made more obvious; the "LEVEL" label turns red when it's active.
- The melee gun bash has been replaced with a very, very different new melee weapon. I think there's a chef who'd really like it back. It still has the same damage and speed characteristics, though.
- Chex Quest 3 is now supported, thanks to elements provided by kind permission of TerminusEst13! Use CHEX3.WAD as your IWAD. (There is an ACS-related error message when starting any level, though; I'm going to be looking into fixing that for next build.)
- Some, uh, miscellaneous additions to a couple of minor sound effects (especially one that appears in the controls menu).
- A spelling correction(?) in the Language lump - because I guess it's supposed to be PorkElator, not PorkAlator. Made it consistent with the item tag, at least.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Same here. Cards are now reasonably helpful and level 3 max Alt-Fire is most satisfying. You can feel the Royal Flush!

EDIT: Played the mod with Deus Vult II. Good cool crap! However i've been thinking... Why does max amount of fruits have to be 16? Because of 16 Bit? Also i found out that radioactive suit hasn't replaced yet. I bet the replacement is going to be Mountain Dew Based? :P
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I don't have any ideas to replace the rad suits or the goggles. I think I'd rather leave them alone, since their use is very map dependent.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Another update has been posted - this one's more in the way of maintenance, though; not much for new content this time.

- Apparently SLADE decided to revert a bunch of the minor changes I'd made just before the upload of the previous version, so those are now fixed. Among them...
- Chex Quest no longer produces a flood of warnings about a missing "StarSparkle" effect.
- Chex Quest also no longer warns about a bunch of editor numbers already in use, as their actors are now properly Replaced.
- Imp fireballs now look like imp fireballs again, and not jumbled masses of horrible color.
- Handgun lv2 tracers now use their own sprites, making some duplicate sprites in the filter folders no longer necessary.
- I started to miss having the PortaCola counter on the health bar when I replaced it with an actual health number, so I added it back, smaller this time. The counter also now appears on the fullscreen HUD.
- The big, ugly grenade indicator is no longer a part of the fullscreen HUD. In its place is a smaller, more sensible and more consistent cooldown indicator. (The original indicator remains a part of the bar HUD, since it is not so ugly there.)
- I changed the pickup messages for the Xargon fruit to make their purpose more obvious.
- The PortaCola pickups in Chex Quest were previously handled by inheritance, which caused the inventory bar to have two PortaColas on it, one of which could be used infinitely. Said pickups are now handled by a spawner, which fixes that issue.
- The inventory bar now displays on the bottom-center of the screen, regardless of which HUD is in use. (It produces strange issues when the HUD is completely disabled, but only while the bar is visible - I don't imagine anybody seriously plays with the HUD disabled, though, so fixing this is no priority.)
- The Pepsi font now has a hyphen character.
- The health indicator would overflow out of its container if the player was killed by something sufficiently damaging. I've changed both health indicators to only report up to 3 digits now, which fixes this problem.
- The PK3 file now includes a ww-credits.txt which contains the absolutely exhaustive list of every single audiovisual source I used in the making of this mod. It is also now being added to the first post.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The new build for the evening of February 12th is now online.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4AcTi ... sp=sharing

Changes this version:
- The Help file is now available in the menu. It's nowhere near as elaborate as ww-terror's, but somehow, much nicer.
- I adjusted the item-drop script so that missiles have a lower chance of dropping, but will drop in addition to cola bubbles regardless of what the monster's initial health is (except anything below 30 HP which will still never drop missiles). I have not done any testing of these changes yet.

Going by my to-do list, there are only small things left to take care of. I might be able to put up what I could call a "final" release before the end of the month. Here's hoping - it'd be awfully nice if I could upload a finished mod for the first time in a few years!
Cryomundus

Re: WW-Cola3 [nearing a final version!]

Post by Cryomundus »

Before you call it final, I'd like to request 3 things.

1) shrink the keys in the upper right corner. They're obnoxiously huge.
2) Remove the fruits from the inventory bar and put a counter on the bottom showing how many you actually have at a given time. I never remember how much I have at a given time, so trying to time when I'll get powerups is really rough.
3)Maybe add in ammo for the BFG/Toothpaste Laser for the alt-fire? Since it doesn't use experience, that's probably the only thing that makes sense.
wildweasel

Re: WW-Cola3 [nearing a final version!]

Post by wildweasel »

Cryomundus wrote:Before you call it final, I'd like to request 3 things.

1) shrink the keys in the upper right corner. They're obnoxiously huge.
The problem is, the keys were enlarged so that the bottle HUD wouldn't leave them near-impossible to see at high resolutions. So I've taken a compromise: they are now on the automap.
2) Remove the fruits from the inventory bar and put a counter on the bottom showing how many you actually have at a given time. I never remember how much I have at a given time, so trying to time when I'll get powerups is really rough.
Done, and here is how:
3)Maybe add in ammo for the BFG/Toothpaste Laser for the alt-fire? Since it doesn't use experience, that's probably the only thing that makes sense.
I might want to rethink what its altfire even does; I don't really want to reintroduce another ammo type just for a weapon that's already hard to find.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”