WW-Cola3 [v2.5 bugfix release, 5/31/2019]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: WW-Cola3 [nearing a final version!]

Post by wildweasel »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4AcTi ... VWNjg/view

Another new build today - primarily internal polish, but also a touch of aesthetics.

- The key bar and fruit counters have been moved to the automap screen. This should clear up the inventory bar significantly.
- The EXP penalty for taking damage was tweaked internally again so it is more consistent and less punishing. There was previously a bug where, if the skill was odd-numbered, you would be penalized all your EXP when taking a hit, due to ACS's bizarre handling of non-whole numbers. This bug is, as far as I can tell, eradicated.
- Quit messages have been revised.
- The Cola Options menu now has a setting to swap the primary and secondary triggers for the dual shotguns, for users who use left-handed mice or gamepad controllers.
- The shotgun has been given brand new sound effects - no longer does it lazily borrow the ones from ww-doomnukem. The credits, of course, have been updated to suit.
- Hexen-specific player properties wound up getting moved to the /filter/hexen folder...because of Consolation Prize: PSX Doom TC having problems with actors not having any spawnclasses set. So, that should work now.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4AcTi ... sp=sharing

Tonight's build is a bit further polish:

- The old Titlepic is now gone - in its place is a new titlemap sequence. I couldn't decide which subtitle to put on it, so you get 26 of them. Really. (Thanks to Kinsie for a few of them.)
- The frying pan attack received a nice coat of polish in the form of a new hit-detection system - while the pan is swinging, it has 6 "active" tics in which to hit something. If it has not hit something in one tic, it advances until it's either run out or scored a hit. In addition to it looking quite a bit nicer (and you can tell it's a frying pan now), this also makes it significantly easier to score a hit.
- I modified the shotguns so that A_Blast happens after all the pellets have been fired, in hopes that this'd make it a bit easier to hit flying enemies point-blank with them. Well, it didn't, but I don't see much of a reason to revert the change now that it's there. [shrug]
- The Heretic/Hexen versions of the Pepsi font were deemed to be no longer needed, so they've been removed.
- The Pepsi font now has a comma, an apostrophe, and a colon, because they wound up being necessary at some point.

Things I need help tracking down:
- Does anybody know a way to stop the auto-aim from "flattening" the shotgun/level 1 revolver attacks?
- One player has reported GZDoom outright crashing when killed by a Flemoidus Maximus' more powerful attack in Chex Quest 3. I can't see anything in the code that looks out of place.
- I've been told that the bullet "trails" don't appear if a shot hits the player. I'm not sure why this is.

The to-do list that remains:
- Make level-ups/level-downs a bit shinier and more noticeable.
- Add smoke/casing effects to applicable guns.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I've posted some updates over the past few days but not announced them, primarily because they've been little tiny changes that don't affect the gameplay all that much. But there's some nice additions that have been majorly helpful to quash a few confusing bugs, so here we go with the changelog.

- Marrub ported my EXP damage system to ZScript to help kill what we think were infinite-loop crashes when damaged in specific ways.
- On that note, getting hit by Royal Flush poker chips no longer saps your EXP/barrier despite not damaging you.
- WWColaWeapon (the base class that all weapons inherit from) was also ported to ZScript, making the hit-detection code more stable and less dumb.
- I added a bunch of random logos to the titlemap, and rephrased some of the subtitles. Because priorities.
- I forgot to change the floor and ceiling texture in the titlemap's "black box" - it is now changed so that startup errors don't occur in non-Doom games.
- The pistol's special shot now fires everything that's loaded in it, at the cost of 3 EXP. It also automatically reloads afterwards if Auto-Reload is enabled.
- Probably a bunch of other stuff that I evidently only cared enough about to do and then forgot about afterwards.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Seems like this mod is being updated very often. In a good way! I do update my mod, but not noticed. So yeah, i'd better down load this mod once again.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

This is the second best soft drink themed video game I have ever seen, after PepsiMan.

It does, however, need more Fido Dido.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I absolutely second fido dido
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The mod's finally had a (very tiny) update to fix dawnbreez's excellent BulletZ system, using AFADoomer's fix, to make refiring enemies actually refire. It took a little doing, but hey, it works now! But in more major news, the mod is now available through the excellent itch.io, giving it a nice homepage, a download link that isn't at risk of going down due to inactivity, and a totally optional pay-what-you-want system (you can still download the mod 100% free, however, by clicking "just take me to the downloads").

Missed that link? here it is again: https://wildweasel.itch.io/cola-3-the-soda-of-style
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Re: WW-Cola3 [now on itch.io!]

Post by Cyanide »

Gratz on Mr. Icarus noticing the mod. :D Well deserved too.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I guess it's true how much influence Youtube can have: in a single day, I've gotten almost more views/downloads directed to the itchio page from that Youtube video than from the ZDoom forum thread.

But yeah if you've been holding out on trying the mod, Icarus gave it a really good overview here.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Congrats with Icarus' review on your mod! Very good to see your mod got reviewed respectfully. It's been great to enjoy your mod there.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Captain J wrote:Congrats with Icarus' review on your mod! Very good to see your mod got reviewed respectfully. It's been great to enjoy your mod there.
The man is basicaly our PR person. Anything good or shitty enough made in zdoom will inevitably be covered by him.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

...it seems to be giving an error or two with 3.3.0: https://imgur.com/jADmjwJ
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Well, last I checked it still plays alright, but I don't know what I can do to fix that one.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Remove the defaults on the virtual function's override.
If you have "virtual void XYZ (int lul = 1337)", the override should be "override void XYZ (int lul)" instead of "override void XYZ (int lul = 1337)"
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Okay, done, and the error has vanished. I'll hold off on putting out an update until I have some other things on deck, though, since this is an awfully minor thing.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”