WW-Cola3 [v2.5 bugfix release, 5/31/2019]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: WW-Cola3 [early access][wip]

Post by DoomRater »

When I look at the bars they tell me what I need to know. But boy are they fancy and nonstandard. I don't know how to improve the readability without ruining the aesthetics. Maybe that's the confusing part?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The further progress of this mod is in a bit of a brined gherkin at the moment because of one gigantic hiccup: the HUD. Basically, I need a volunteer that can port the HUD to ZScript. The HUD currently exists in this dev build of the mod (warning, it's not exactly playable) inside oldsbarinfo.txt, and there is a not-very-functional-at-all attempt at a facsimile of it in zscript.txt. I can't seem to make head or tail of ZScript, beyond what's in the thing already, so I don't have the slightest clue how to do bars or anything, so if anybody would like to volunteer to help me out here, I'd like to have the whole HUD ported, with comments if you could, so I could have something to work with.

Otherwise, well, the mod's not really going anywhere.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Here's a 99% solution:
Spoiler: ZScriptified Status Bar
As far as I can tell, this replicates your old status bar... I tested as much as I could, but, not being completely familiar with the mod, there might be something I missed (or more likely, some coordinates that are off, or something like that). There are probably some things that could be optimized, too...

No comments in this version, but I'll go back through tomorrow and add them.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Man, you would not believe how insanely helpful this has been. This saves not only a lot of brute force code, but also enables me to do some things I wasn't able to do before. No need to rush on those comments; this is already a huge help, and thank you very much for it.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The day's work is coming to a close, and with it, a new early access build is available: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4AcTi ... sp=sharing

The changes this version:
- The handgun is now the starting weapon instead of the shotgun.
- The handgun's third level was significantly retooled; instead of just shooting two big bullets, it now shoots one big bullet that explodes into smaller fragments on impact. It is absolutely devastating (and pending a balancing pass, honestly).
- Because the player no longer starts with a shotgun, I created a new CustomInventory pickup for the shotgun that replaces both Shotgun and SuperShotgun so that the dual-wielding can still be accounted for.
- The Plasma Autorifle now occupies the PlasmaRifle slot; its pickup is invisible at the moment (I forget if I have a sprite for that yet) and it does not yet have new sounds, but its basic functionality is now more or less implemented. It does not currently check its level, but it acts as a rapid-fire weapon that shoots faster as it gains heat. Players of TimeSplitters games might notice a similarity.
- A few visual additions have been made, albeit unfinished ones. The main menu and difficulty selection now use a new font derived from the Pepsi logo (I haven't polished it, so it may look ugly and/or not space properly), and the missile launcher is sort of in the process of being rebranded as the Sidewinder. Er...you'll see why.
- Thanks to AFADoomer, the HUD's been ported to ZScript, which outwardly shouldn't make an insane amount of difference, but does save the amount of code significantly (and without it, the Plasma Autorifle's heat gauge would have taken approximately 15 times the amount of InInventory checks).
- And finally, some sound effect improvements have come for the handgun, so it now sounds noticeably cooler per level.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Now finally this mod is updated, fixed with cool prejudice, huh? Excellent work, weasel!
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

A new version's been uploaded! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4AcTi ... sp=sharing

Changes this time around:
- The handgun's reload sounds have been swapped for more audible ones.
- I forget if I mentioned this: bullet tracers are now immune to the Blast effect, meaning the dual shotguns can no longer send each others' bullets careening off in the wrong direction if fired too close together.
- The "fallback effect" for weapons that don't currently have level indicators was fixed. They now display question marks.
- The Plasma Autorifle is (nearly) done. All four levels worth of functionality are implemented, along with appropriate graphical and sound effects, and animation. All that's missing is a pickup sprite. For the moment, leveling up the autorifle mostly just makes bullets deal more damage...except at level 3, overheating it results in it expelling a huge burst of flame for a few seconds, that deals serious damage to whatever's in the way...but it doesn't stop firing until the heat gauge is empty!
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Bug Report: It seems the pack of cards actually level backwards. They start at their strongest and get worse as they level.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Oh, also extra feedback for the mod. I finally played for a minute and i've got some awkward things like...

- I always wondered why rocket launcher's projectile is kinda big and always launched from half-beneath; eventually crashes into the ground.

- While every weapon gets stronger after gaining level after level, Solitaire cards goes just opposite. Intentional?
Deii

Post by Deii »

Just butting in to say the cards work in the opposite way as they seem to draw inspiration from the this weapon from Cave Story. I think WW mentioned it before.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

It conflicts with the description in the first post which implies that it's weak at the start and eventually gets powerful.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I haven't updated the first post's descriptions at all since the mod's launch. I left the notice in a changelog somewhere in here, but yes, the deck of cards is now the "nemesis" of the mod.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Man, too bad i couldn't look for the notice until now. I thought the first post was updated. Also too bad i'm pretty ignorant about Cave Story. I love the game... But i don't know the other game mechanics.

Anyway, is there any way to downgrade the Solitaire cards? In Cave Story wiki, you can. But is this possible in this mod? This card is pretty much useful to me.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The way to "downgrade" the cards is to take damage. I'll see about making it a little less painful in the future, possibly by making it ignore the Arms Barrier and increasing its "penalty" when damage is taken.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Sounds reasonable. But i think that should be more reasonable if it decreases meter a lot when taking hit, no matter how intense the attack is.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”