WW-Cola3 [v2.5 bugfix release, 5/31/2019]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AdmiralAjax

Re: WW-Cola3 [early access][wip]

Post by AdmiralAjax »

My only problem with this mod so far is, when chaingunners are introduced, you might as well say goodbye to your levels before they're instantly gone. If barrier decreased in increments of one I could at least fire back in time.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

AdmiralAjax wrote:My only problem with this mod so far is, when chaingunners are introduced, you might as well say goodbye to your levels before they're instantly gone. If barrier decreased in increments of one I could at least fire back in time.
Or perhaps some kind of damage cool down, where you can continue being hurt but only lose barrier once per second?
AdmiralAjax

Post by AdmiralAjax »

Yeah, something like that sounds like it would work better than "I picked up a blue armor and it's all gone???"
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

You might be able to tie the armor's saveamount to the rate the stuff depletes at.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The mod received a minor-ish update today. Features and fixes:
  • The Shotguns are now combined into the number 2 key. The single shotgun comes up first; press it again to wield both.
  • The deck of cards is now on slot 3.
  • The deck of cards' level up rewards were.....altered.
    Spoiler:
  • The Cola Options menu is now a thing that functions. It currently has options to enable automatic reloading and adjust the weapon recoil. So you can all quit bugging me about how the shotguns don't center properly.
  • The Missile Launcher now requires ammo, and ammo pickups have been added to replace the default rockets. Nothing else has been changed about the missile launcher yet.
Deii

Post by Deii »

Just had a quick test with this, and right now there's a ton of issues with the dual shotguns: I'm not sure how or why, but while using them occasionally only one of the shotguns would be present on screen and firing either would be impossible for several seconds. Switching to the single shotgun wasn't necessarily a fix either, and the issue happened when selecting any other weapon as well (i.e.: double shotguns hang up in screen and stop responding to all commands, trying to switch weapons doesn't do anything).

Also, I think it would be a good idea to make the rockets actually soda cans. Maybe the plasma rifle replacement could be some sort of soda can-accelerator machine gun thing. The BFG could be a huuuuge can of bad soda that kills monsters because it tastes bad. not sure, sorry for rambling a bit here.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I'm aware of the shotgun issues and have no idea how to fix them. I'm tempted to just throw that weapon out entirely in favor of something else, as fun of an experiment as those were.

The rocket launcher should really be soda bottles (with an implied Mentos fuel) but I just don't have the resources for that right now.
Deii

Post by Deii »

Ah, mhn...in that case that's kind of a bummer. I did like them quite a bit so far.

Also, just a bit of a request for the sake of user friendliness, but I personally think that the deck of cards should be really in slot 1, then the revolver in slot 2 and shotguns on 3 just like in vanilla - it feels a bit weird thanks to years upon years of muscle memory, at least for me.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

or an AMR that ejects empty coke bottles :v
which may or may not shatter on impact
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

It will be sad to see the shotguns go if they end up being removed, they looked sexy as hell and felt really good to fire and reload.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Here comes a slightly minor but also slightly major update:
  • The dual pump shotguns glitch is (probably) fixed! Probably.
  • I've finally gotten around to adding what I'm going to refer to as the "Arms Barrier Barrier" - whenever you are damaged, you have a 2-second mercy invincibility. You can still take damage during this period, HOWEVER it serves to protect your weapon level and Arms Barrier from being brought down any further. This should, for example, make it much less stupid fighting Chaingunners in close quarters.
Download link's in the usual place.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Couple suggestions:
  • Can the rocket launcher's level 3 be a trio of L0-style drunken rockets with the L2 scatterbomb effect? Please? It'd be awesome.
  • Weapon switching could be faster. Part of what made Cave Story's level system work was the ability to switch weapons almost instantly; you could defeat enemies with your best gun and then toggle over real quick to your missile launcher or whatever to level that thing up. Doing the same thing with Doom-paced weapon switching isn't quite the same.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

dawnbreez wrote:Can the rocket launcher's level 3 be a trio of L0-style drunken rockets with the L2 scatterbomb effect? Please? It'd be awesome.
I will look into that. I'm admittedly not entirely happy with the current effects so refactoring those might be something I'll do next time I'm working on the mod.
Weapon switching could be faster. Part of what made Cave Story's level system work was the ability to switch weapons almost instantly; you could defeat enemies with your best gun and then toggle over real quick to your missile launcher or whatever to level that thing up. Doing the same thing with Doom-paced weapon switching isn't quite the same.[/list]
I might give the player instant weapon switch, because yeah, I've found the bubbles disappear before I've had the chance to figure out which weapon could use them.
will183
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by will183 »

Hud seems very confusing. needs a bit of a overhaul in my opinion.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

will183 wrote:Hud seems very confusing. needs a bit of a overhaul in my opinion.
Well, you're in luck, as I'm in the process of converting the existing HUD to ZScript instead of SBARINFO (since the former does things I can't do with the latter, at least without 120-ish lines of InInventory checks). But what specifically is confusing? Anything I can bear in mind? Because this doesn't really give me much of a direction.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”