WW-Cola3 [v2.5 bugfix release, 5/31/2019]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
shadstarn

Re: WW-Cola3 [Almost there!][wip]

Post by shadstarn »

i love the guns but is there possible to have a weapons only mod?

cool work
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

shadstarn wrote:i love the guns but is there possible to have a weapons only mod?

cool work
Were you not paying attention? This is a weapons-only mod. No monster replacements in here whatsoever.

[edit] To make this less of a useless post for those hoping to see progress, hey, guess what took me literally 10 minutes to add?

Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hexen support!!! Great great great. We need more weapon mods for Hexen. :)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4AcTi ... sp=sharing

Tonight's build comes with a bunch of polish-related changes.
- A lot of updated and improved sounds. Cola bubbles now have an appropriately item-like noise (don't worry, the burps are still there!), keys have a nicely old-school sound effect, etc.
- The Sidewinder Rack now has a proper pickup sprite and sound effect.
- Invisibility spheres are now replaced with quite possibly the deepest-cut nostalgia reference I've made in any of these mods: Blastola Cola, a much more powerful variant of the Super-Shaken Soda Grenade that has a powerful cluster explosion when thrown. These, however, are disposable; you can hold up to 10, but you'll only be able to keep 1 with you when you leave the level.
- I replaced the Textures entries for TRACA0 and TRACB0 with actual sprites - now the bullet tracers look correct in non-Doom games, and in Doom WADs that replace the palette, like Ancient Aliens.
- On that note, the menu font is now running its own unique palette, again because of Ancient Aliens. =P
- The mod now supports Hexen! My item-placement strategy may be a bit unusual, and you might have to resort to melee attacks to put much of a dent in the early-game monsters.
- Player's view height, attack Z offset, and jump height had to be changed to make Hexen work. As a side effect, jumping might be a bit easier in Doom maps that require jumping.
- The "mercy invincibility" effect for Arms Barriers has been reduced from 2 seconds to 1 second, because I found it was a little too easy to hold on to Arms Barriers once you had one.
- Other miscellaneous tweaks and changes I either forgot or didn't think notable enough to list here.

We are almost there. My to-do list has only 3 entries left in it, barring any unforeseen glitches and headaches.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Minor tip I feel compelled to note here: you could move the player class out of the main DECORATE file and into its own included lump so that you can use a filter folder to load a modified playerclass definition lump in the case of playing Hexen, with the Hexen jump/view/attackZ stats. For example, if you had "actors/player.txt", the Hexen-only equivalent would be placed in "filter/hexen/actors/player.txt".
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

One tiny, tiny problem:

Since ammo is replaced with, well, nothing, maps that put a thing special on an ammo item--such as Joy of Mapping 5's E1M1--break.

Maybe replace ammo pickups with some kind of explosion-only variant of HP Cola? "Barrel Brand Root Beer -- Like an explosion in a can!" Alternatively, just spawn a random Mini Barrier or Portacola. Alternatively-alternatively, Reload Root Beer--instantly reloads your current gun, or shoot for XP bubbles.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I suppose a random spawner would not go amiss here or there. I have some ideas that can go in there...because it does kinda feel like a ripoff when I find a secret that winds up being empty. =P
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

At least you have found the secret place where the invisible secret ghosts live!(i hope) >:P
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

My suggestion for ammo replacers: Some snacks that would go well with coke :p

Small ammo packs would drop less bubbles and bigger ammo would drop more bubbles. If the player don't like it (map 30 would be guaranteed lvl 3 for all weapons), a CVAR for turning them off would be cool.

Yes, i know, Heretic and Hexen would be a pain to do, too.

EDIT: The most ironic thing is that i drank Coke my entire life, and now my wife wants me to go on a diet. :s
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Well, preliminary testing of today's build seems to have gone well enough - I'm uploading now because I will have need of this download link tomorrow when I am at another person's house.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4AcTi ... sp=sharing

Changes this time around:
- All weapons now have pickup sounds.
- Ammo pickups are no longer blanked out. In their place is a special randomspawner that can drop either PortaCola bottles, Mini Barriers, or one of four kinds of fruit. Get 16 of a single kind of fruit, and you are granted a powerup depending on the kind of fruit. The functionality largely duplicates the existing powerups, except Strawberries, which immediately grant 50 EXP. This applies to Doom, Heretic, AND Hexen.
- Hexen's item spawns were altered. Hexen's Flechettes are now the randomspawner instead of just Mini Barriers.
- The Missile Launcher, Plasma Autorifle level 3 overheat effect, and Blastola Cola were given Fire DamageTypes so they'd set Hexen trees on fire. May also apply to monster packs that have special effects for fire damage.
- The soda grenade's cooldown effect was internally reworked; instead of an ACS script constantly giving items to the player, the player is given a cooldown powerup. Also, the grenade cooldown icon on the HUD now has a nice black underlay while the grenade is recharging.
- The inventory bar now functions correctly. The functionality was in place, but the font that was being used (AGA1.bmf) had no numbers in it. I also repositioned the bar so it wasn't overlapping anything.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

And now, one last question:

Chex Quest compat when? :D
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

wildweasel wrote:
shadstarn wrote:i love the guns but is there possible to have a weapons only mod?

cool work
Were you not paying attention? This is a weapons-only mod. No monster replacements in here whatsoever.

[edit] To make this less of a useless post for those hoping to see progress, hey, guess what took me literally 10 minutes to add?

no i meant without the coca cola theme ... i know its a weapons mod but personally i like it without the coca cola theme
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

dawnbreez wrote:And now, one last question:

It probably won't be too hard to add, just need to make sure the spawners are set up correctly. I'll do that when I get home today.
shadstarn wrote:no i meant without the coca cola theme ... i know its a weapons mod but personally i like it without the coca cola theme
Go play a different, less cola-affiliated weapons mod. I ain't removin' nothing.
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

wildweasel wrote:
dawnbreez wrote:And now, one last question:

It probably won't be too hard to add, just need to make sure the spawners are set up correctly. I'll do that when I get home today.
shadstarn wrote:no i meant without the coca cola theme ... i know its a weapons mod but personally i like it without the coca cola theme
Go play a different, less cola-affiliated weapons mod. I ain't removin' nothing.
its your choice man .. great job!
its really cool!
only reason i don tlike to have cola in it is that it feel a bit taken away from the immersion for me.
also
it doesnt help that i am on a diet :p
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Immersion is really the opposite of the goal I have for this mod. I mean, you've already got weapons with absurd marketing slogans, a weapon literally called the Toothpaste Laser, and random fruit laying around...if anything, the goal of this mod is to break as much immersion as possible. So in effect, you've demonstrated that I'm doing it right!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”