[RELEASED]Wolfenstein Infinity

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Edward Marlus

[RELEASED]Wolfenstein Infinity

Post by Edward Marlus »

Background:
I started this project as I was partly inspired by Weasel’s Nazis! Mod, along with actual Wolfenstein mods I had seen and played in the collective modding scene such as Wolfenstein-Skevos-Jones’ Castle Totenkopf SDL and the bulk of Team Raycast’s more recent mods (In fact I had seen DoomJedi’s thread for the release for Eisenfaust Origins right here in ZDoom forums one time). At the time, I used to frequent Zandronum as well… I saw that there was a lack of decent survival-oriented modifications and I got inspired to try making something Wolf/World War 2 themed.

Story:
APRIL 30TH, 1945
The end of World War 2 is near, and it is late April. Allied forces closing in Berlin are reporting bizarre phenomena in the German capital. The weather fluctuates abnormally from one extreme to the other while the soldiers fall prey to illnesses that grow intensity the closer they get to Hitler’s bunker. An eerie presence seems to have taken hold of the Fuhrer’s headquarters, for when the Allies finally arrive at the bunker Hitler is nowhere to be seen.

Instead, a cataclysm occurs in which Berlin is engulfed in a bizarre shockwave at the center of which Hitler’s bunker is located. Everybody present the day of the raid has been reported to have gone missing in action. The incident was classified top-secret by the Allies and the disappearance of one of their war heroes, B.J. Blazkowics, as well as the army sent to capture the bunker, has been a point of major concern though what was left of the German forces eventually surrendered. The incident in Berlin had left many people wondering what happened that day, however, but to this day the truth has yet to be known.

The truth behind the shockwave however, is that everyone who was hit with the wave was chucked across time and space. Unbeknownst to the allies swept in this temporal wave, the bulk of the Third Reich’s forces had already taken refuge within the temporal rift. Those who were unlucky enough to be hit by the wave were caught in an ambush by the Nazis. Unbeknownst to the Nazis however, the captain of this Allied army caught in hell was none other than Blazkowics himself. Leading the men into battle, Blazkowics essentially continued to fight World War 2 in the hopes that he could defeat Hitler, end the madness and bring his men back home to their families someday.

Welcome back to one of the darkest periods in human history. You have been personally hand-drafted by President Franklin D. Roosevelt himself in an effort to capture Hitler and destroy the Nazi regime, and you have come back from the depths of Hell to finish your mission and wage a one-man war in the process. Your objective is to find Hitler and his armies and end the regime and its fanatics once and for all.
On your quest you will meet all kinds of enemies standing in-between you and the Fuhrer, some being the result of horrible experimentations by the regime’s most prominent scientists such as Dr. Schabbs while others are supernatural abominations summoned by the sorcerers under the Nazi Regime. Topping these magical and mutant apparitions are the numerous technological advances made by Nazi scientists such as Doctor Quarkblitz.

Features:
Spoiler:
Weapons;
Spoiler:
Screenshots; (More coming soon)
Spoiler:
Credits (A big thank you to everyone who played a hand in this!):
Spoiler:

Download Link;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9k0i3ceoyw2c ... 0.pk3?dl=0 (1.00 / 1.0.0)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ruvdi17lhgfn9 ... B.pk3?dl=0 (1.10B / 1.1.0B)

Alternate Download Link;
http://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum ... -v1.00.pk3 (1.00 / 1.0.0)

Changelog;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fwpl8m261ho0 ... g.txt?dl=0
Last edited by Edward Marlus on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 9 times in total.
dljosef

Re: [RELEASED]Wolfenstein Infinity

Post by dljosef »

I've been testing this quite a bit so far. (Doing a Whispers of Satan run with this mod) So far, here are my thoughts in a nutshell. Pros and cons, of course.

Pros:

-Loving the weapon variety. With some weapons having their own ammo pools. Not to mention, ammo being plentiful.
-It's neat that the bosses are a rare spawn among the high-class non-boss enemies. (even though they're rare spawns)
-The Browning shottie pretty much allowed me to stunlock those shock troopers and the rocket troopers with how quickly it fires, especially right up in their faces.
-Dr. Schabbs dropping a morphine powerup's rather nice.

Cons:

-The two sniper rifles are rather annoying to aim with.
-A minor one, but I don't see Trans Grosse anywhere.
-The Angel of Death and Devil Incarnate don't drop anything.

That's all I got. I'm looking forward to whatever updates you have coming up.
Gardevoir

Post by Gardevoir »

Hey, thanks for the first bit of critique! As for Trans Grosse, we didn't want another character that would act just like Hans, so we were planning on adding a little something to his sprites for an altered behavior, and we were still working on his stuff when we wanted to release this version. Don't worry, he will come soon enough. As for the sniper rifles, the 'annoyance' that comes with using them is because they are very powerful weapons, however, I might reconsider changing how they work (at least the kar, which I'd probably keep permanently zoomed in as long as you're in scope mode, as people been having a problem with that one from what we've been testing). As for Angel of Death/Devil Incarnate drops, also a work in progress. We still have a lot of plans for this mod and want to add even more content to it, so please share your thoughts with us!
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Well, I can appreciate a little bit of differentiation with Trans, much like you did with Gretel. (Her auto shotguns are kinda like her ww-nazis incarnation) I do have a few ideas of my own.

-Maybe have a chance of replacing the berserk pack with a powerup that causes your knife to deal mad damage akin to the fury sphere from Spear: Resurrection and End of Destiny.
-For the blur sphere, maybe replace it with the equivalent powerup of Heretic's shadowsphere? That could potentially make it quite a bit more useful against the tracer enemies.
-Maybe do a little something to alter the Icon of Sin's behavior to create a sort-of boss rush, perhaps? (As an option, perhaps.)

And I have found a few more tidbits. The future troopers remind me quite a bit of those evil troopers from Scythe 2, in terms of the damage they deal. Another funny thing, I don't really see much of a point using pistols once I get the MP40. (Well, other than the colts, due to them having their own ammo)
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

My only con for the mod is missing the Thompson, the FG42, Particle Cannon, Tesla Gun and the Sten (which are appeared in RTCW and Wolfenstein 2009)
Last edited by skyrish10 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

This is a pretty good mod. 1 major glaring problem that needs to be fixed is that the Wolfenstein enemies like Hans Grosse needs to have full sprite rotations. It breaks map balance severely when they are always facing you. I'll gladly come back to this when you get those put in.

And I have a question; Why do bazooka rounds go through targets and then explode when hitting walls?
Edward Marlus

Post by Edward Marlus »

dljosef wrote:Well, I can appreciate a little bit of differentiation with Trans, much like you did with Gretel. (Her auto shotguns are kinda like her ww-nazis incarnation) I do have a few ideas of my own.

-Maybe have a chance of replacing the berserk pack with a powerup that causes your knife to deal mad damage akin to the fury sphere from Spear: Resurrection and End of Destiny.
-For the blur sphere, maybe replace it with the equivalent powerup of Heretic's shadowsphere? That could potentially make it quite a bit more useful against the tracer enemies.
-Maybe do a little something to alter the Icon of Sin's behavior to create a sort-of boss rush, perhaps? (As an option, perhaps.)

And I have found a few more tidbits. The future troopers remind me quite a bit of those evil troopers from Scythe 2, in terms of the damage they deal. Another funny thing, I don't really see much of a point using pistols once I get the MP40. (Well, other than the colts, due to them having their own ammo)
Hey man!
For your first point, I'll look into it with Garde and we'll see what we can do! Maybe we can randomise the Berserk powerups in the future.
As for the second point, I like that idea and given that all attacks are no longer hitscan we might have to move to something akin to the Shadowsphere. Good point in bringing it up, though I'll admit that having the sprites go translucent bugs me a little. I'll think of something though.
As for the third point... That would be a fun option... If it's possible I would definetily consider it as a long-term goal!

And as for the tidbits, insofar as the Astrostein Nazis are concerned Garde did want something less powerful than the evil doomguys... Of course they still had to be threatening to some degree. I actually want to give the Astrostein Nazis a makeover at one point as well (I had already started on their plasma rifle but never finished it).

As for the pistols... They use the same ammo as SMG's historically from what research I had done so I decided on pistols and SMG's sharing ammo. You'd be surprised but the pistols in this mod are actually a lot more buffed up than the regular Doom Pistol. Think of them as more accurate semi-automatic submachineguns if you will, great for saving accuracy and plinking from far away with well-placed shots.
skyrish10 wrote:My only con for the mod is missing the Thompson, the FG42, Particle Cannon, Tesla Gun and the Sten (which are appeared in RTCW and Wolfenstein 2009)
You picked just the right weapons to talk about, I've been considering just about every weapon you mentionned and have tried spriting the Thompson but can't quite get the art style just right. But yeah, everything you mentionned I do wanna add in at some point, and because they're weapons they're all very high on my priority list (Weapons and Enemies I want to flesh out before consistently focusing on everything else).
Valherran wrote:This is a pretty good mod. 1 major glaring problem that needs to be fixed is that the Wolfenstein enemies like Hans Grosse needs to have full sprite rotations. It breaks map balance severely when they are always facing you. I'll gladly come back to this when you get those put in.

And I have a question; Why do bazooka rounds go through targets and then explode when hitting walls?
My colleague and I decided on the current way in which the bosses were done for the sake of consistency. At the moment not all the bosses have rotations and work is still underway at the hands of solid sprite artists such as Untrustable to try and deliver consistent rotations for every boss including the ones from The Lost Episodes. Furthermore, I would like to add that until the rotations are all done I will be keeping them the way they are and that I actually have plans to pitch in to Untrustable's Wolf3D bosses rotation project at one point (I initially tried making rotations for Quarkblitz' Robot when I first started this project).

As for the Bazooka, I am not sure if I addressed it correctly in the weapons section of the thread but it's both the Wolf and Doom rocket launchers combined into one weapon. What this means is that the Bazooka's rockets behave like Wolfenstein's in that they will deal damage as they pass targets by, unless the target is a heavyweight (Minibosses/Bosses). They also deal explosion damage like a regular Doom rocket when they make contact, so the aforementionned heavyweights still take damage.

By the way, Josef, we're actually looking for new ideas for power-ups and we're happy to take in some feedback from the community!
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Alrighty. You want powerup ideas? You got 'em.

-A possible quad damage powerup that has a chance of replacing the berserker powerup.
-Two regeneration powerups that restore health and armor...or just the health regen powerup if that sounds too cheap.
-An invulnerability powerup that doesn't turn your screen white while also deflecting projectiles. (Normal invulnerability turning my screen white really makes it annoying to navigate.)
-A very rare quad ammo cap backpack. (ideal for those slaughtermaps, at any rate.)
-And something from End of Destiny, portable medkits.\

That's all I got.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

this was actually good alternative to ww-nazis for good ol' vanilla style wolfenstein gameplay i love the score with the hud keep it up man although i've got two things to gripe about the nazi grunts and mutants are getting stuck in walls and decorations you should the flag +LOOKALLAROUND for the front facing bosses which makes it look weird them just standing there.
Gardevoir

Post by Gardevoir »

I honestly have no idea what's the cause of enemies getting randomly stuck. If I knew where lies the problem I'd fix it asap. As for +LOOKALLAROUND, that's been in the mod before and didn't really work that great. Some mappacks require you to sneak past some encounters, so consider that all nazis have really poor sight in those cases.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

oh ok but still great work looking forward to more stuff for this.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Amazing wolfendoom mod i ever played along with ww_nazis! While ww_nazi gives me the modern wolf3d vibe, this mod gives me a good ol' classic nazi-fantasy vibe! I just love this kind of the mod!
Spoiler: But i've got some gripes to talk about, too.
Here you go. I really love this mod so far!
Gardevoir

Post by Gardevoir »

Hey, thanks for the feedback Captain J! The Nightmare! graphic isn't broken, it's just supposed to be a razor wire fence with mines under it, but I must agree when I first time saw it, it got me confused. I'll ask Marlus to do something about it.
As for the bullets not coming directly from the guns, I decided to put a small delay on the sprites appearing because I'm really not a fan of making weapons not fire from the middle of the screen. Messing up with the height causes stupid things to happen like being unable to fire over windows and such. I might attempt to make em look slightly better in the future, though. I buffed STG's accuracy in the current version, although I might turn it back to the old values if it feels too similar to MP40. I can buff KAR98's firing speed. In general, I was thinking of reworking that gun a little bit. M1 Bazooka pierces through all enemies but Mini-Bosses (aka rare variants of enemies) and Cyb/Mastermind replacements. The ripper itself is capable of doing way more damage than direct hit + explosion. If you prefer a more classic approach to a missile launcher, use flamethrower's alternative fire. Hand Grenades don't explode in your hand after you hold em for long enough cause I'm a lazy coder. I can add that if you really want. I'd fix the Plasma Weapon but Marlus already said he wants to change its sprites at some point. I really wanted to actually have a weapon from Astrostein, but I didn't really like any of the designs it had.
Hopefully, we will be able to add more custom pickups with new sprites in the future. As for common ammo drops, I really want to change how the entire ammo system works later. I didn't want to touch it at the moment just to see how the balance goes. I might reduce the spawn rate of Grenades thought. Elite Mutants are strong and will be strong. They are rare enough to spawn so you most likely won't be fighting more than one or two at a time. I've been reconsidering changing the behavior of Drache Troopers for a very long time but I couldn't come up with anything new besides single fireballs, and those wouldn't be as threatening. Gretel sounds like a man because it's just Hans with makeup ;p Quarkblitz fires a railgun on long range, although I might change his close fire to something different because he pretty much fires just like the robots do. Otto is a dick so nerfing him slightly by giving him a delay would be a nice thing I guess. And finally, don't worry, we will be adding more content soon! We're both really busy with school/university stuff right now but we keep working on this mod whenever we have free time.

Edit: Oh whoops I actually messed up with Otto's sprites and forgot to use the correct frame for him aiming. Fixed.
SoundOfDarkness

Post by SoundOfDarkness »

Here are my 2 cents.
I really like the weapons, except for the Bazooka. Like Captain J said it penetrates enemies and I think it should leave more visible impact. It doesn't have to be like in Brutal Doom but the enemies just dropping dead like they were shot with a bullet is kinda boring. The constant enemy chatter is kinda annoying plus the recordings sound very amateurish. Since I'm german maybe it affects me more. I think it would be better if they would just shout the usual "Der Feind", "Halt" and so on. I would offer some help to record some lines, but I don't have a mic or any other devices to do so.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

Some video:
Spoiler:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”