[WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.2 ALPHA [ALL SORTS OF STUFF]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8e [Nishimura Seven]

Postby TheRailgunner » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Cryomundus wrote:Do the various shell types just not spawn atm? I've found literally 2 explosive shells and no slugs across 7 maps while playing Moonblood, so it strikes me as very odd.


Having a look at it, it seems the overall odds of special shells were 1 out of 256 each - I uploaded a version with it set to 1 in 16 instead, because versatile shells and such.

EDIT: I've generally increased the amount of ammo that spawns for all weapons, as well as made rarer ammo types much more likely to spawn.

EDIT II: Sokova 46 damage increased from 12 to 15.

EDIT III: Increased N7's hipfire speed to match other firing states.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Sunglasses Security Guy knows when you're necrobumping.
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2013

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8e [Nishimura Seven]

Postby Cryomundus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Honestly I'd prefer if the Sokova had like 500 or so rounds, buffed fire rate, slightly buffed clip size, and nerfed damage (maybe 10-12 or so). It's really weird that it has the same clip size as the sniper rifle too. You also find sooo much ammo for the Sokova that a damage buff for it really isn't all that necessary.
User avatar
Cryomundus
 
Joined: 31 Oct 2013

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8e [Nishimura Seven]

Postby TheRailgunner » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:44 pm

Cryomundus wrote:Honestly I'd prefer if the Sokova had like 500 or so rounds, buffed fire rate, slightly buffed clip size, and nerfed damage (maybe 10-12 or so). It's really weird that it has the same clip size as the sniper rifle too. You also find sooo much ammo for the Sokova that a damage buff for it really isn't all that necessary.


The damage buff is so it can clear out groups of weaker enemies or one or two stronger ones before a reload is necessary - I've found that in extreme situations, the Sokova 46 stands out as the weakest weapon over all for handling crowds. The Nishimura Seven Battle Rifle, on the other hand, has 20 rounds (compared to the Sokova's 30) and does exactly ten times as much damage per shot (come to think of it, the N7 is kind of overpowered for a battle rifle). I might increase the Sokova's magazine to 45 and decrease the Pulsar's to 45. The Sokova's rate of fire is exactly where it needs to be - 700 is as close as I'm gonna get to the AK-47's rate of fire without downgrading it to Vanilla Chaingun speed.

I tried to increase the amount of other ammo that spawns in order to alleviate the overwhelming abundance of AS-46 ammo, but somehow my Sokova is always sitting at max ammo anyway.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Sunglasses Security Guy knows when you're necrobumping.
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2013

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8e [Nishimura Seven]

Postby Cryomundus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:21 pm

For then fire rate, I meant to just set one of the 1s to a 0 and you've bascially got a pretty good fire rate for it. That and lowering the damage compensates for the upped fire rate, and also chews through ammo like no tomorrow. That, and while firing off nades every so often, makes it pretty damn fun to use.

Oh, and you may want to check out the explosive shells for the nightshade and sturnman, firing off a round slows everything to a crawl, but firing the Last Salvo's primary and altfire does not lower framerate.

Alsoooo I kinda did a thing for the fusion's primary fire that makes it a bit better to use. It basically let's you fire about 35-40% faster, but with added recoil and pitch shifting, at least till you have to reload. Makes it pretty good to use without having to rely on having a surplus of recoil-less ammo. Didn't change the clip size, so you can somewhat constantly fire off 5 battery's worth of ammo before reloading, and then you gotta repeat the process.

Spoiler:
User avatar
Cryomundus
 
Joined: 31 Oct 2013

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8e [Nishimura Seven]

Postby TheRailgunner » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Cryomundus wrote:For then fire rate, I meant to just set one of the 1s to a 0 and you've bascially got a pretty good fire rate for it. That and lowering the damage compensates for the upped fire rate, and also chews through ammo like no tomorrow. That, and while firing off nades every so often, makes it pretty damn fun to use.

Oh, and you may want to check out the explosive shells for the nightshade and sturnman, firing off a round slows everything to a crawl, but firing the Last Salvo's primary and altfire does not lower framerate.

Alsoooo I kinda did a thing for the fusion's primary fire that makes it a bit better to use. It basically let's you fire about 35-40% faster, but with added recoil and pitch shifting, at least till you have to reload. Makes it pretty good to use without having to rely on having a surplus of recoil-less ammo. Didn't change the clip size, so you can somewhat constantly fire off 5 battery's worth of ammo before reloading, and then you gotta repeat the process.

Spoiler:


I've added this change to the DGA-3, albeit with a slight increase in ammo and fire rate - thank you for suggesting this.

I really don't want to give the Sokova a 1050 RPM firing rate - the XM27 has the same ROF and I don't like the idea of an AK-like assault rifle with such a ridiculous rate of fire. However, the AS-46 now has a magazine of 45 and a backpack-maximum of 450; in turn, the Pulsar-D's magazine has been decreased to 45 as well. The DGA-3 now has a magazine of 6; it will still reload after firing 30 altfire rounds, however.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Sunglasses Security Guy knows when you're necrobumping.
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2013

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8e [Nishimura Seven]

Postby Cryomundus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:53 pm

Ah well, at least you liked my addition! I'd still lower the Sokova's damage a lil bit, it's primary doesn't really need to be good a dealing with grounds, it just needs to be ok at dealing with single targets/weak mob trash (zombs imps pinkies those sorta guys), as a sort of general "good to use most any time" weapon, like the shotty's. If you need crowd control, you've got a LOT of options, actually, so there's no need for it to be added to that. If you're really pressed, you've still got it's nade launcher anyway, which is waaaay better for crowd control than the primary will ever be, doubly so now that secondary ammo is more common.
User avatar
Cryomundus
 
Joined: 31 Oct 2013

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8f [Invisible Projectiles]

Postby TheRailgunner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:30 am

Cryomundus wrote:Ah well, at least you liked my addition! I'd still lower the Sokova's damage a lil bit, it's primary doesn't really need to be good a dealing with grounds, it just needs to be ok at dealing with single targets/weak mob trash (zombs imps pinkies those sorta guys), as a sort of general "good to use most any time" weapon, like the shotty's. If you need crowd control, you've got a LOT of options, actually, so there's no need for it to be added to that. If you're really pressed, you've still got it's nade launcher anyway, which is waaaay better for crowd control than the primary will ever be, doubly so now that secondary ammo is more common.


So, I found out that hitboxes don't play well with hitscans - I've updated all hitscan weapons to use invisible projectiles instead, so that make headshot damage a lot more noticeable.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Sunglasses Security Guy knows when you're necrobumping.
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2013

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8f [Invisible Projectiles]

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:07 am

I like how this mod is turning out, especially with more secondary ammo spawns and harder monsters. Is there a manual reload button or no? The worst moment while playing this is when I have to manually reload a gun while there are shot gunners in my face.
User avatar
Carbine Dioxide
True force, all the king's men could not put it back together again.
 
Joined: 12 Jun 2014
Location: Anywhere.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8f [Invisible Projectiles]

Postby TheRailgunner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:45 am

Carbine Dioxide wrote:I like how this mod is turning out, especially with more secondary ammo spawns and harder monsters. Is there a manual reload button or no? The worst moment while playing this is when I have to manually reload a gun while there are shot gunners in my face.


I'd have to refactor any parts of the mod that ascribe altfire/fire-selector functions elsewhere, but it can be done. I might also make it a more conventional reload system, though I'll need scripts that get the various ammo counts for each weapon so the reload system can reference total ammo counts instead of separate ones (try altfiring the VSK7 when it's out of special shells, then firing it - repeat as necessary, you can sit there all day, reloading over and over again, and not shoot anything).

I think I'll just have a total ammo count and a display for the number of shells remaining; from there, the player can plan ahead for the inevitable, yet involuntary, reload.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Sunglasses Security Guy knows when you're necrobumping.
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2013

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8f [Invisible Projectiles]

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:11 pm

As the mods stand right now, I have a few things to share about how I feel about some of the weapons and enemies. With the VSK being the only shotgun that reloads, I've been using the Sturrman a lot more than usual. The only time I use the Night Shade is when I have slug shells. The Chain Gunners are really really difficult to put down. They have a faster movement speed and faster rate of fire than the normal ones it seems, though they can still snipe you from across a map. The N7 is a nice gun overall until you find the Sharp Shooter, then I find no reason to use the anti matter rounds, and then even after that I find the Crimson Spectre more useful than both of those weapons.
User avatar
Carbine Dioxide
True force, all the king's men could not put it back together again.
 
Joined: 12 Jun 2014
Location: Anywhere.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8f [Invisible Projectiles]

Postby Cryomundus » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:14 pm

TheRailgunner wrote:
Carbine Dioxide wrote:I like how this mod is turning out, especially with more secondary ammo spawns and harder monsters. Is there a manual reload button or no? The worst moment while playing this is when I have to manually reload a gun while there are shot gunners in my face.


I'd have to refactor any parts of the mod that ascribe altfire/fire-selector functions elsewhere, but it can be done. I might also make it a more conventional reload system, though I'll need scripts that get the various ammo counts for each weapon so the reload system can reference total ammo counts instead of separate ones (try altfiring the VSK7 when it's out of special shells, then firing it - repeat as necessary, you can sit there all day, reloading over and over again, and not shoot anything).

I think I'll just have a total ammo count and a display for the number of shells remaining; from there, the player can plan ahead for the inevitable, yet involuntary, reload.


Actually, I just got done doing a thing to let folks manually reload the Nightshade shotgun, you might wanna check it out.

You'll need to type "summon TestShade" to get it tho. You also might want to summon 1 or 2 backpacks. And as far as I can tell, it works pretty flawlessy too! 8-)

I may figure something out for the fusion but I'm also really friggin' tired atm so yeah. I've got an idea floating around on how I'll make it work tho!

Spoiler:


http://www.mediafire.com/file/3rgtckk1xymy3m8/TrooperTestShotgun.pk3



Spoiler:
User avatar
Cryomundus
 
Joined: 31 Oct 2013

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.9 [Reloading+HUD]

Postby TheRailgunner » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:40 am

I've done a few things:

*I've modified the HUD to show loaded ammo.
*I've also added an ammo tracker - basically, this keeps a count of all of the ammo the player picks up of a certain type (shells, AK bullets, batteries, etc.) and draws from that total to reload - dryfiring a weapon with no alternate ammo no longer triggers a reload, for example.
*I've replaced all of the ammo pickups for magazine'd weapons with CustomInventory items that give ammo trackers in addition to ammo.
*For those of you wondering, yes, the M97 will get a reload, and will have a magazine capacity of either 32 or 64. I know the HUD leaves the magazine portion blank for the M97; this is because, unlike weapons that draw from the entire ammo pool like the Crimson Spectre, Luxor HMG, and Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis, the M97 is intended to have a reload animation.

With the magazine ammo count visible, you can now plan ahead before you get faced with that oh-so-inopportune surprise reload when you're surrounded by demons.

Carbine Dioxide wrote:As the mods stand right now, I have a few things to share about how I feel about some of the weapons and enemies. With the VSK being the only shotgun that reloads, I've been using the Sturrman a lot more than usual. The only time I use the Night Shade is when I have slug shells. The Chain Gunners are really really difficult to put down. They have a faster movement speed and faster rate of fire than the normal ones it seems, though they can still snipe you from across a map. The N7 is a nice gun overall until you find the Sharp Shooter, then I find no reason to use the anti matter rounds, and then even after that I find the Crimson Spectre more useful than both of those weapons.


Ironically, I never really use the SS or the CS unless I have to - the Nishimura Seven is, for its ammo capacity, ROF, and overall damage capability, the most powerful weapon in the game. While the Crimson Spectre deals the most damage, it only has eight shots (may up this to 12 or 16 later today), and the Sharpshooter Prosthesis has very poor radius damage as it's mean to be purely a beam-rifle-type weapon, the Nishimura Seven's altfire objectively deals the most damage once ammo and ROF are taken into account - a headshot on any greater demon except for bosses is a one-shot-kill, and can be fired exceptionally quickly (ignoring that a headshot with the Crimson Spectre is a one-shot against boss monsters).

I don't really know what to do with Extra Weapons at this point - I personally like the core weapon set best, and feel the other weapons are, well, kind of, umm, extra. I may discontinue Extra Weapons after applying the reload changes and such to them if I'm not satisfied with them.

@Cryomundus: I tried your patch, and while I did enjoy the reliable function of the reload system, I don't want a hard limit on how much of a given ammo type is present in the magazine - whether the player wants 16 regular shells in there or all special shells is up to the trigger pulls/mouse clicks. You may work on a manual reload patch if you so wish, but please look at my current reload system before you do if you want to avoid hard limits like that.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Sunglasses Security Guy knows when you're necrobumping.
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2013

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.9 [Reloading+HUD]

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:30 pm

If the N7 is the most powerful weapon, then you might want to work out something balance wise, as I pick that up way earlier than even the DGA. If you're planning to remove it though at some point, then I guess there's no point bothering.

The way I see it the N7's alt fire, the SS and CS all have about the exact same looking projectile. To differentiate their use/projectile, I would suggest a beam/rail like projectile for the SS.
User avatar
Carbine Dioxide
True force, all the king's men could not put it back together again.
 
Joined: 12 Jun 2014
Location: Anywhere.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.9b [100% PURE BEEF]

Postby TheRailgunner » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:57 pm

Carbine Dioxide wrote:If the N7 is the most powerful weapon, then you might want to work out something balance wise, as I pick that up way earlier than even the DGA. If you're planning to remove it though at some point, then I guess there's no point bothering.

The way I see it the N7's alt fire, the SS and CS all have about the exact same looking projectile. To differentiate their use/projectile, I would suggest a beam/rail like projectile for the SS.


Well, the Crimson Spectre's is noticeably larger, but I'll see what I can do with the Sharpshooter's projectile.

I might weaken the N7's altfire some to improve weapon balance somewhat.

EDIT: Updated the mod, mostly just reload fixes.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Sunglasses Security Guy knows when you're necrobumping.
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2013

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.9b [RELOAD+AMMO CHEAT FIX]

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:13 pm

In the new version, the N7 only puts one bullet in the mag after reloading once or twice, and continues to do so. It made me use the thing like a bolt action rifle.
User avatar
Carbine Dioxide
True force, all the king's men could not put it back together again.
 
Joined: 12 Jun 2014
Location: Anywhere.

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baratus, Endie, Simple Pie [RSS], Valherran and 18 guests