[WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.4 [INFINITE HIATUS]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
-Ghost-

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.13a [E N G R A M S]

Post by -Ghost- »

Ah okay, I'm glad it's not just me. I remember the weapons being pretty powerful but I felt like I was struggling to clear even the first Doom 2 map. What key is the sword bound to once you get it? I basically ran out of ammo and then tried to run from everything because I didn't know how to melee. :P
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

-Ghost- wrote:Ah okay, I'm glad it's not just me. I remember the weapons being pretty powerful but I felt like I was struggling to clear even the first Doom 2 map. What key is the sword bound to once you get it? I basically ran out of ammo and then tried to run from everything because I didn't know how to melee. :P
The sword is bound to Weapon State 2. which here means T - if it helps, the Knife is bound to Weapon State 1/Q.

EDIT: I've lowered the player's Max Health to 250 - same with armor, as well as fixed a bug with the XM27 Zombie disappearing during its XDeath and gave the player an extra primary magazine.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Thanks, being able to use the melee helps a bit!
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.13b Inbound [UPGRADES]

Post by TheRailgunner »

I've started planning out the upgrades more seriously - here's where they stand so far (red upgrades denote separation of existing features into upgrades and italic upgrades denote already complete upgrades)!

Weapons will grouped thusly - Common, Uncommon, Rare, Legendary, Exotic/Mythic:
Spoiler: Primary Weapons
Spoiler: Secondary Weapons
Spoiler: Heavy Weapons
Spoiler: Superheavy Weapons
Most of these shouldn't be too much trouble, but a few I can guarantee will be nightmarish.

EDIT: Added upgrade pickup sprites.
Last edited by TheRailgunner on Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 23 times in total.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, I've completed three of the Nishimura Seven's four upgrades - the only one I haven't figured out is the LEAD (Legion Emergency Antimatter Discharge) Module, which empties all of your antimatter rounds at whatever it's pointed at. It's worth noting that Enhanced Firefly is kind of broken. Also, the XM27's upgrades are complete as well, leaving fifteen sets of upgrades to go...
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

If can make a suggestion: split the "Primary Weapons" in half, scrolling though 7 weapons with 2 keys would be a pain, 3-4 weapons per slot is perfect and even 5 is pushing it, but bearable. 7 might be a mess if I need to get to a specific weapon.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

insightguy wrote:If can make a suggestion: split the "Primary Weapons" in half, scrolling though 7 weapons with 2 keys would be a pain, 3-4 weapons per slot is perfect and even 5 is pushing it, but bearable. 7 might be a mess if I need to get to a specific weapon.
The idea is that you just kind of set the four slots as you wish and only switch weapons within slots according to personal preference. The plan is to have nine weapons of each type, if not more.

Anyway, I've finished the first three of the N7's upgrades, and I've started on the AS-46's upgrades - most of upgrades will not be difficult. Also, the N7 is getting nerfed to prevent one-gunning (and because Enhanced Firefly is bullshit-grade OP - the second upgrade, which enhances antimatter damage, also enhances Enhanced Firefly). The N7's iron sight has been modified slightly:

ImageImage

Holographic front sight post makes aiming a little less shitty.

On another note, I'm changing upgrades from drops to XP rewards - enemies will drop varying amounts of XP which level up your weapons.

EDIT: Finished the VSK7 and M97's upgrades - at this point, I have finished 54 out of the 54 planned upgrades (20/20 primary weapon upgrades, 11/11 secondary weapon upgrades, 13/13 heavy weapon upgrades, and 9/9 superheavy weapon upgrades).

EDIT II: So, I've completed all of the primary weapon upgrades; generally speaking, upgrades to weapons of higher rarity initially impart some improved damage potential, with later upgrades drastically ramping up their damage (the M41A, Pulsar-D, and Nishimura Seven all have some sort of antimatter damage type, for example). The Pulsar-D, in particular, is quite interesting; while Plasma and Antimatter are relatively redundant damage types because they more or less just function as explosive, but Radioactive imparts its own strategy - because the effect lingers for 4-5 seconds, it can effectively be used for crowd-control, but careless use at close-range or in small corridors can kill you very easily while you literally irradiate yourself (I should consider trying to make the Radiation Suit protect you from this, somehow).
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.13b [EXCESSIVE POWER]

Post by TheRailgunner »

I have finally finished the Upgrades update - basically, each weapon can earn XP towards upgrades, which drastically increase their power. I won't say much about them, but there are fifty-four upgrades in all - GO NUTS, GODDAMMIT.

Also, the Surfeit Torment is now Legendary rarity, and has a fourth upgrade - Cluster Explosive Rounds.

EDIT: Some fixes to the Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis.

EDIT II: I feel like I didn't do a good job explaining why exactly this update is a big deal - the upgrades basically bring The Trooper's arsenal from Trailblazer/Guncaster-level damage to Vodka Blood 2.5-level damage. Also, XP is now directly awarded to the player.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

I just tested your mod with Supreme Invasion and none of the bugs you mentioned happened to me (Well, the ammo values one is just a matter of disabling an option in my mod) did you fix them?
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Heh, now to wait for the promised Bubblegum Thesis and others... :D
Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

Is this mod named after that one Iron Maiden song?
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

i do recall him saying that, yes
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Ts879 wrote:Is this mod named after that one Iron Maiden song?
It is, actually - at some point I'm wanting to get around to making a video for the OP with it (assuming I can at all, anyway), and hopefully a MIDI version for the title screen.

I'm currently working on the Templar Shotgun, with the Kullish Adversary, Droner 50b, and Bubblegum Thesis to follow; I also want to replace the current knife melee with some punches and such.
badcaradvice

Post by badcaradvice »

Noticed an issue when changing the firing mode of the VSK9. First press will switch it to burst fire, but pressing user 6 (I think that's the one that changes firing mode) will then just have it set the secondary ammo type to explosive shells each time. Haven't found a way to get back to full auto yet.
Evil Operative
Location: Inside a land where Walls and Decors are covered in Blood and Guts. (Brutal)

Post by Evil Operative »

How do you use the Demon's Blood sword? I have seen graphics for it in the pk3 but I cannot get the weapon for some reason, even after picking it multiple times. I saw that it gave Berserk as an additional powerup. But it does not affect the knife either.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”