[WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.4 [INFINITE HIATUS]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.3 [PHOTON TORPEDO]

Post by TheRailgunner »

ImageImage

Anyway, the updated HUD - I moved the DGA-3 from slot 6 to slot 2, moved slots 7 through 0 down a slot, and put the Staff Weapon in slot 0, which will be the Secret Weapons slot. Six weapons left...

A few more improvements:

*New sprites for the K-JACK.
*Lowered the overall number of A_Explode calls and GL lighting to improve performance.
*A version without headshot hitboxes. Can be run with Mikk-'s Critical Shots to allow headshots and improve performance - as it turns out, hundreds of A_Warp calls ever tic can really slow things down.

A final, small addendum: Photon torpedo projectiles from Cybernobles now make a fly-by sound if they pass within a certain distance of you. I may expand this functionality to other projectiles.
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.3 [1-10 WEAPON SLOTS ARE BACK]

Post by Yebudoom »

Great updates! I really appreciate getting back to slots 1-10 and having a version without the headshot hitboxes. The fly-by sound is cool too!

Are you planning to also update the weapons-only version?
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

A couple of bugs I’ve managed to find so far:

-The MARS B doesn’t have a pickup sound, and neither does the Pulsar (or the DM-6 or the K-JACK for that matter)
-The zombie with goggles has incorrect death frames
-I used Nashgore with the mod, and I noticed that headshots on the Hell Knight/Baron cause them to bleed red instead of green (with body shots and everything else though, their blood is still green; this might have more to do with the headshot system)
-The helmeted Pistol Zombieman disappears halfway through one of his normal death animations
-The Mancubus seems to borrow the Corpulent's pain frame

EDIT: Found more bugs
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Hellstorm Archon wrote:A couple of bugs I’ve managed to find so far:

-The MARS B doesn’t have a pickup sound, and neither does the Pulsar (or the DM-6 or the K-JACK for that matter)
-The zombie with goggles has incorrect death frames
-I used Nashgore with the mod, and I noticed that headshots on the Hell Knight/Baron cause them to bleed red instead of green (with body shots and everything else though, their blood is still green; this might have more to do with the headshot system)
-The helmeted Pistol Zombieman disappears halfway through one of his normal death animations
-The Mancubus seems to borrow the Corpulent's pain frame

EDIT: Found more bugs
Yeah, the death and pain frames need cleanup across the board. As far as headshots, I'll probably have to define the blood colors for Hell Noble Headboxes.
Yebudoom wrote:Great updates! I really appreciate getting back to slots 1-10 and having a version without the headshot hitboxes. The fly-by sound is cool too!

Are you planning to also update the weapons-only version?
I am, very soon.

Before I do, a few minor things will come with the next update:

*New alternate firing modes for the K-JACK, such as seeking torpedoes, high-yield projectiles, and possibly even some others, like the warp flare (itself not terribly combat-oriented) or a biomolecular warhead (which, in addition to dealing an unholy fuckton of damage, will also trigger an increasingly damaging nanoprobe infection in any enemies caught within its radius - ambitious, but doable). [Not complete]
*Cybernobles will have shootable photon torpedo projectiles. In addition, they have a chance to fire slower seeking torpedoes, which are rather aggressive. [Complete, but not uploaded]
*I may (MAY) make all photon torpedoes, as well as other lower-velocity projectiles, shootable, including the player's - fire with caution.

I'm actually sort of proud - I managed to tie the extra effect projectiles for the torpedo to the torpedo itself instead of having the monster of origin fire all four at once while making the spare projectiles die after the real torpedo is destroyed and allowing them to remain together when the projectile seeks targets, something I didn't think entirely possible in ZDoom.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.4 [INFINITE LEGIONNAIRES]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Man, it feels kinda...empty in this thread sometimes, huh?

Anyway, update time:

*The Nishimura Four now has new firing sounds. In addition, weapon damage increases for every upgrade beyond the first.
*It also has a new altfire - CQB Mini-Shells, which allow you to safely engage enemies at point-blank range without killing yourself! The original altfire is now a User Key 6 toggle; CQB Mini-Shells are the default altfire, and are unlocked from the moment you pick up the gun.
*Mancubus and MARS Zombie sprite issues fixed.
*Fallen Legionnaires no longer infight with Zero Legionnaires and vice versa. Even in death and possession, the Infinity Legion presents a united front.
*Zero Legionnaires now have a chance to drop a Legion Emergency Reinforcement Beacon upon death, which summons Fallen Legionnaires at lower levels and increasingly more complete Zero Legionnaire teams at higher levels. In addition, Zero Legionnaire Captains also have a low chance to throw LERBs at any time. This can get...uncontainable, so LERBs tend to explode after activating more than once (I suppose between possibly beaming in a transporter accident and self-destructing, the latter is the better choice lore-wise). Note that Legionnaires of any type cannot damage the LERB...but you and other monsters can.
*The K-JACK can now launch Seeking Torpedoes - slower than standard, but, well, they're seeker missiles torpedoes. They also detonate within a certain range of enemy torpedoes (this is mainly because getting them to actually target - and seek after - enemy torpedoes appears to be impossible as far as I know). In addition, Dispersal/Attack Pattern Sierra (the K-JACK's altfire) has been reworked, mostly for aesthetic and animation improvement.
*Nishimura Ten altfire now has a unique firing sound, similar to the antimatter firing modes on the other Nishimura weapons.
*Nerfed the N4 Legionnaire to Hell and back, mostly because the N4 projectiles eat far more computer resources if he fires them at me instead of the other way around...for some reason.

Sometime soon I want to mess with voice stuff - some voice clips will play under certain conditions (such as firing a weapon for a long time while surrounded by large numbers of enemies, or when you melee kill a Zero Legionnaire or Cyberdemon without dying), which I'll have a headache putting into code form. I may also add custom voice options (mostly to replace conditional voice clips with other, more humorous voice clips or inane references to stuff I care about).

Other things I hope to accomplish in this, or the next, update:

*Fix all Quad Damage melee bugs.
*Display ammo icons.
*Redo the ammo system again - now that there are 10 slots again, I should do away with the 4-slot-based ammo types. Shared ammo supplies are still going to exist, but I'm unsure of what form it'll take.
*Add scaling combat logic to enemies, with enemy strategies, attack types, and other maneuvers increasing in both quantity and effectiveness with the enemy's level.
*Stop getting lost in piles of SCP Wiki entries.
*qllllA***~[......ppppppppppp-
*[REDACTED]
*Bring back Soviet Robo-disco.
*Add more variety to the bestiary in general - there are so many zombie-type enemies and not enough actual demons or monsters.
*Simplify visual effects - they make the mod unplayable on anyone who doesn't own a gaming computer that costs more than a house, such as myself.
*Integrate relevant portions of Mikk-'s Critical Shots and adapt them to the specifics of this mod - Firefly effects seem to be absent, which I suspect relates to how the damagetype is passed. Anything headshot-relevant relies on "head" damagetypes, which used to be passed from the headshot hitboxes when they were hit; the box goes into the pain state associated with the damagetype that damaged it and passes the damage onto the monster it's attached to after applying a headshot multiplier and the "[damagetype]head" damagetype. If the headshot damage kills the monster, it goes into the death state for "[damagetype]head", which triggers whatever special effect is supposed to happen upon a "[damagetype]head" headshot kill. Basically, if the Firefly damagetype isn't passed to the monster, the effect never occurs; the head hitbox has to tell the monster to go to a Firefly death state using a "headshot" damagetype, which doesn't happen with Critical Shots because it passes the unmodified damagetype directly to the monster - think "HandCannonFF" vs. "HandCannonFFHead"; while HandCannonFF is the Firefly bullet's damagetype, a hitbox has to be hit with it in order to deal HandCannonFFHead damage to its host, which tells the monster to spawn a Firefly explosion at head-level when it dies.

You know the drill. Also, a No Headshots version. Weapons-only version coming very soon, possibly even before I go to bed.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.4 [INFINITE HIATUS]

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, my original post was, well, incredibly biased towards self-deprecation, and I felt that it wasn't a healthy mindset. Anyway, The Trooper is on indefinite hiatus - my ambitions for the mod far outweigh the actual progress I've made on it, and it just seems too daunting for me to worry about. I'll probably put some of the low-resource stuff into Legionnaire's Loadout (temporary title), but this mod is far too cumbersome to continue until I feel motivated to refactor it entirely.

Also, be safe, wash your hands frequently, keep at least six feet/1.8 meters away from other people, call out antimaskers for what they are - a legitimate threat to the health and safety of all other human beings on Earth - and encourage those around you to do the same whenever possible. A virus that can kill or leave you with life-ruining complications is nothing to scoff - or cough - at.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Thank you for all the effort. I enjoy coming back to this mod from time to time, although I have a hard time recommending it to others because of the nature of, well, needing my entire keypad bound for arbitrary functions. It was certainly interesting seeing this mod undergo so many dramatic changes, and I've always enjoyed the weapon feedback and experience gimmicks and all. I hope some day you're able to recover some of your enthusiasm and put it towards some creative project--hopefully one a little less stressful. At the end of the day, you should make things because you enjoy 'em. It can be discouraging to not receive much feedback, or to receive disparaging comments about stuff, but as long as you enjoy what you're making, I feel that's really what matters. Good luck with future endeavors!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

This mod has a lot of things to choose and enjoy with. So i certainly can feel that you put a lot of effort and heat to it. Just get back on modding if you really want to. It's no rush!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”