[WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.4 [INFINITE HIATUS]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8a [Recoil CVAR]

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, I've implemented a Recoil CVAR - it is a divisor, so the higher the CVAR value, the lower recoil will be.
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

I like the recoil, so a CVAR is definitely the best option.

I honestly don't get what they're bitching about.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

Unfortunately, a lot of mod makers forget the simple and intuitive things.
Presumably the recoil used to enhance realism. But the effect is quite the opposite. In reality you do not tilt your head backwards and do not look up at the ceiling after shots.
There are other aspects. Imagine that you're playing with the VR Oculus Rift or D-Touch. The easiest option is try to play using only the keyboard.
It is sad that someone does not understand this.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

TheRailgunner wrote:So, I've implemented a Recoil CVAR - it is a divisor, so the higher the CVAR value, the lower recoil will be.
I played through a couple maps with low (and even disabled) recoil and I'm enjoying this way more. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Doominer441 wrote:I like the recoil, so a CVAR is definitely the best option.

For me, it's part personal preference, part balance. I think people who enjoy this kind of recoil are crazy, but you like what you like, I suppose.

Still, I kept running into traps in some megawads where I simply couldn't unload enough ammo before I was killed. The constant knocking of the camera to the sky, me dragging my mouse off the pad to compensate, the stronger monsters, and the relative ammo scarcity all led to consistent aggravation. With other weapon mods (and vanilla) this isn't an issue. I can also see this being less of a problem if you're playing on maps where you have space to hang back and take your time, but that's not always an option in Doom. When you're stuck in a small room with dozens of enemies, the recoil is especially egregious.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

I think the recoil works really well on some weapons to balance them, while others could use a bit of less recoil. Take the AS 46 and the Pulsar D, I think they both have really balanced recoil, while the VSK 7 and the Surfeit Torment could use less recoil in my opinion.

Also, have you thought of using the Thunder Strike from the extra weapons addon as a sort of upgrade for the Night Shade? Could possibly replace the normal shotgun pickup (not dropped from the shotgun guys) after you have the VSK already.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Here's the thing to remember, just because you happen to like it doesn't mean that other people will. Having the option to choose whether or not to have it is the best choice.

Edit: Oh yeah, wasn't the M83 supposed to have been replaced by the Nishimura? Just asking, cuz I would love to have a sniper rifle as part of the arsenal.
Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

This is a pretty good mod. Obviously a work in progress but good work nonetheless. Only thing missing is a rocket launcher of some sort.
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

While playing until map 20, I've noticed quite a few bizarre things.

1: When you fire the Avtomat Sokova's grenade launcher, if you try to fire it immediately afterwards, it clicks but doesn't fire. At first I thought this was just a reload action, but if you wait a few seconds after the first shot, you can fire it again, as I found out while trying to "reload" it while facing a wall.

2: If you try to fire the Avtomat after letting the grenade launcher dry-fire, it'll reload the gun, regardless of whether you've actually fired the gun.

3: If you engage the Luxor's secondary fire, then drop it and pick it up, you'll still be able to move, but it'll still be as accurate as when it was mounted.

4: Are the Revenant Wardens supposed to only fire when you're at point-blank range?

5: For some reason, the Phasic Knight will randomly paw at the air while chasing you.

6: Why does the Cyberbaron never fire its gun?
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8b [Reload Train]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Doominer441 wrote:While playing until map 20, I've noticed quite a few bizarre things.

1: When you fire the Avtomat Sokova's grenade launcher, if you try to fire it immediately afterwards, it clicks but doesn't fire. At first I thought this was just a reload action, but if you wait a few seconds after the first shot, you can fire it again, as I found out while trying to "reload" it while facing a wall.

2: If you try to fire the Avtomat after letting the grenade launcher dry-fire, it'll reload the gun, regardless of whether you've actually fired the gun.

3: If you engage the Luxor's secondary fire, then drop it and pick it up, you'll still be able to move, but it'll still be as accurate as when it was mounted.

4: Are the Revenant Wardens supposed to only fire when you're at point-blank range?

5: For some reason, the Phasic Knight will randomly paw at the air while chasing you.

6: Why does the Cyberbaron never fire its gun?
It takes 50 tics to reload the AS-46's grenade launcher, which is intentional. 2 has been fixed - the AS-46 no longer "reloads" after firing a grenade (worth noting, the copy I lost with my first HDD had a reload animation for the grenade launcher). 3 is hopefully fixed - I added two lines that I hope fix the problem. I don't think 4 should be happening, so I'll see what I can do about that one. 5 is a slightly hilarious bug that I'll have to do something about. I've seen the Cyberbaron fire its gun many times, so I don't know about 6, but I'll have a look at it.
Cryomundus wrote:

Here's the thing to remember, just because you happen to like it doesn't mean that other people will. Having the option to choose whether or not to have it is the best choice.

Edit: Oh yeah, wasn't the M83 supposed to have been replaced by the Nishimura? Just asking, cuz I would love to have a sniper rifle as part of the arsenal.
I've thought about it - I actually like having the ability to adjust the amount of recoil in a simple way, and I can see where people are coming from about the extreme recoil after playing on a lower recoil setting. I may lower the recoil considerably so I can set the CVAR value as a factor instead of a divisor, which would be more accurate.

The Nishimura Seven Battle Rifle has been added to the main weapon set, and the M83 General Purpose Machine Gun has been shuffled off to Extra Weapons.
Carbine Dioxide wrote:I think the recoil works really well on some weapons to balance them, while others could use a bit of less recoil. Take the AS 46 and the Pulsar D, I think they both have really balanced recoil, while the VSK 7 and the Surfeit Torment could use less recoil in my opinion.

Also, have you thought of using the Thunder Strike from the extra weapons addon as a sort of upgrade for the Night Shade? Could possibly replace the normal shotgun pickup (not dropped from the shotgun guys) after you have the VSK already.
When I have ADS frames and reloads, maybe, but to be honest, I'm rather fond of the VSK7's flexibility and don't really want the Thunderstrike to be easily accessible, but I might make the Extra Weapons somewhat more commonly spawned pending testing.

Anyway:
*The Nishimura Seven's primary damage has increased from 10*(random(5,6)d3) to 10*15. It spawns more often, is dropped by the occasional N7 Zombie, and the player can hold more ammo for it.
*The Surfeit Torment now has a reload animation, and holds 8 bullets - all cylinder drops/spawns hold 8 of a given ammo type instead, and the player can hold more of all Magnum ammo types. The player spawns with 24 magnum shells and 24 explosive bullets instead of 12 and 24, respectively.
*The GPMG Zombie's behavior has been altered - it fires more frequently now.

I'm really warming up the idea of giving the AS-46's grenade launcher a capacity of 3 and drastically increasing the potential rate of fire.
Mister Neauxbauxdeay

Post by Mister Neauxbauxdeay »

I've tested the latest version just now and I'm finding that the User2 Key doesn't trigger an attack with the sword weapon even when I already have one in my possession. I've found this to be the case for both the GzDoom's latest stable release (2.3.2) and the two latest SVN releases (March 3rd and 4th). Am I missing something here or have I just found a glitch?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Mister Neauxbauxdeay wrote:I've tested the latest version just now and I'm finding that the User2 Key doesn't trigger an attack with the sword weapon even when I already have one in my possession. I've found this to be the case for both the GzDoom's latest stable release (2.3.2) and the two latest SVN releases (March 3rd and 4th). Am I missing something here or have I just found a glitch?
For whatever reason, Surfeit Torment's normal Ready state was lacking "WRF_ALLOWUSER2" and the Luxor was lacking both "WRF_ALLOWUSER1" and "WRF_ALLOWUSER2" (ironically, these don't seem to be issues when Extra Weapons is loaded) - anyway, fixed, along with the SBARINFO weirdness, so the N7's ammo count should display properly.
Cryomundus

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8c [Recoil CVAR]

Post by Cryomundus »

Found a bug, trying to run "the_trooper_movement_patch.pk3" with "the_trooperv0.2.4.8c.pk3" causes a crash whenever you fire your weapon.

Code: Select all

P_StartScript: unknown script "cvarscriptst"
vm execution aborted: division by zero
called from TR_SurfeitTroment.StateFunction.182 at The_TrooperV0.2.4.8c/pk3:decorate/weapons/Surfeit_Torment.txt, line 201
Called from weapon state TR_SurfeitTorment.182 in TR_SurfeitTorment
Oh yeah, you should start adding version numbers to the files now, so that folks can differentiate between versions. I tend to do this myself for this sole purpose.

edit: The Mancubus alt, TR_Corpulent, has no sounds btw.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Cryomundus wrote:Found a bug, trying to run "the_trooper_movement_patch.pk3" with "the_trooperv0.2.4.8c.pk3" causes a crash whenever you fire your weapon.

Code: Select all

P_StartScript: unknown script "cvarscriptst"
vm execution aborted: division by zero
called from TR_SurfeitTroment.StateFunction.182 at The_TrooperV0.2.4.8c/pk3:decorate/weapons/Surfeit_Torment.txt, line 201
Called from weapon state TR_SurfeitTorment.182 in TR_SurfeitTorment
Oh yeah, you should start adding version numbers to the files now, so that folks can differentiate between versions. I tend to do this myself for this sole purpose.

edit: The Mancubus alt, TR_Corpulent, has no sounds btw.
That seems to happen whenever any add-on is loaded after the main file - I have no earthly idea what causes this, although in this case, it may have something to do with there being a lot more ACS in the current version than in the most recent version of the vanilla movement patch.

EDIT: I've fixed the silent Corpulent as well as un-broke Extra Weapons. The movement patch has been fixed somewhat in that it no longer crashes the game, but it also doesn't seem to work, either.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Actually, I think I may know why. In the vanilla movement patch, the "LOADACS" only calls the movement acs, not the cvarrecoil script. I think all you have to do is add the name for the cvar recoil script to the "LOADACS" part of thevanilla movement patch. Maybe, possibly.
Edit: I'd check it myself but I'm at work atm.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Cryomundus wrote:Actually, I think I may know why. In the vanilla movement patch, the "LOADACS" only calls the movement acs, not the cvarrecoil script. I think all you have to do is add the name for the cvar recoil script to the "LOADACS" part of thevanilla movement patch. Maybe, possibly.
Edit: I'd check it myself but I'm at work atm.
As it turns out, I thought I tried that to no end, but I forgot to move the (fixed) movement patch PK3 to my GZD folder from my downloads.

Updated movement patch.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”