[WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.4 [INFINITE HIATUS]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Deii

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.9f [NEW SURFEIT TORMENT]

Post by Deii »

Zaunkoku na tenshi no you ni, doomguy yo shinwa ni nare!
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.9f [NEW SURFEIT TORMENT]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Deii wrote:Zaunkoku na tenshi no you ni, doomguy yo shinwa ni nare!
Heh heh, that's funny - I forgot to mention the AT Field as an effect of the Angelsphere, which I more or less just finished coding (the AT Field, not the entire Angelsphere effect). The beam works from a technical standpoint, in that I haven't refined the effects yet and haven't added the crossplosion effect or the sound effects, as well as the flash that occurs before the beam is fired. The health regeneration (which is now health and armor as well) works properly.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.9f [ANGELSPHERE IMMINENT]

Post by TheRailgunner »

It's coming soon...I tried to have the AT Field stay after the powerup expired (sort of like how Berserk lasts until the end of the level), but there was no way to allow player projectiles through without breaking headshots. In addition to blocking/deflecting attacks, the AT Field also deals damage at point-blank range to prevent monsters from passing through it.

To recap, the Angelsphere's effects are:

*Health and armor regeneration, up to 200
*A powerful shield, the Absolute Terror Field
*A highly damaging beam attack that deals explosive damage in a wide area.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

TheRailgunner wrote:*A powerful shield, the Absolute Terror Field
*A highly damaging beam attack that deals explosive damage in a wide area.
You mean... you mean like the iconic Hideaki Anno nuke beam?

*squeals in excitement* :mrgreen:
Asdasing

Post by Asdasing »

The mod needs a button for reloading weapons, since it's a bit tedious when the gun only has three bullets left but you can't reload it. So those last bullets have to be wasted just to get the mag full again. Also, the number 7 does not light up on the player HUD when you pick up the 50cal machine gun. Also, a small extra suggestion; please implement a reward system that gives the player ammo or other things once a level is 100% completed, like in D4T :D
Deii

Post by Deii »

CROSSPLOSIONS, HELL YEAH

And I personally don't mind the auto-reloading-once-the-bullets-are-gone mechanic, but I will admit it kinda clashes with being able to ADS, having altfires or capability of dual wielding.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Deii wrote:CROSSPLOSIONS, HELL YEAH

And I personally don't mind the auto-reloading-once-the-bullets-are-gone mechanic, but I will admit it kinda clashes with being able to ADS, having altfires or capability of dual wielding.
Well, dual-wielding is more or less on its way out because it clashes with ADS a good bit. Haven't worked much on the crossplosions yet, mostly because of work and such.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

TheRailgunner wrote:
Deii wrote:CROSSPLOSIONS, HELL YEAH

Well, dual-wielding is more or less on its way out because it clashes with ADS a good bit. Haven't worked much on the crossplosions yet, mostly because of work and such.
So, I'm trying to work out issues with maximum ammo before I continue on the Angelsphere - in the mean time:

*The Nishimura Seven's projectile physics are changing - it now pierces through multiple enemies more consistently, and will fell at least two Imps at once with a headshot. The N7 will also have full recoil in ADS.
*Secondary ammo will be simplified - shells will be consolidated into Special Shells, and bullets will be consolidated into Combo Bullets.
*The ammo system will be refactored entirely.

More as this develops.
Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

A real damn good mod. Needs a bit of ironing out but its still real good. Also are there going to be any new weapons in the future? Kinda needs something for melee.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Ts879 wrote:A real damn good mod. Needs a bit of ironing out but its still real good. Also are there going to be any new weapons in the future? Kinda needs something for melee.
As far as melee is concerned, its kinda baked into each weapon, you start off with a knife, and can eventually find a sword. I forget which buttons the two are bound to, but I think its the 2 weapon state ones?

As for weapons, there's enough to fill out the usual roster, along with one extra weapon that rarely spawns. There's also an addon pack that adds like 4-5 extra weapons if you really want more.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

More details about the changes coming in 0.2.4.10 (can't use 0.2.5 yet):

*Ammo will no longer spawn in loose form - while this isn't ideal, it fixes a bug regarding maximum ammo and ammo-counting problems. Basically, mags from this point forward.
*Bullet Bags will give two magazines of each variety of bullet, small Bullet Bags will give one. There will also be Shell Sacks (occasionally dropped by shotgunners/spawned randomly in place of shells) and Heavy Ordnance Cases (slugs/plasma mags/minicores/antimatter bullets/Crimson Spectre charges, occasionally dropped by tougher enemies).
*The VSK9, M83, and XM27 will have ADS and reload animations (I've already finished adding that functionality to the VSK9 as of this post).
*The M97 will have a reload animation.
*The Crimson Spectre's altfire may be removed and adapted to every weapon as a player ability, namely if the CS gains a reload animation.
mutator

Post by mutator »

when I switch weapons between slot 1 I get muzzleflash sprite appearing on left top part of screen I think this is a bug so I felt like reporting this issue
NOTE: there are 2 weapons in slot 1 and when you switch between those weapons that's when I get this bug appearing on screen
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.9f [CROSSPLOSIONS DELAYED]

Post by TheRailgunner »

mutator wrote:when I switch weapons between slot 1 I get muzzleflash sprite appearing on left top part of screen I think this is a bug so I felt like reporting this issue
NOTE: there are 2 weapons in slot 1 and when you switch between those weapons that's when I get this bug appearing on screen
I've never seen this bug in my testing - can you take a screenshot? Furthermore, what versions of The Trooper, Extra Weapons, and GZDoom are you running?

Anyway, so far, I've finished reloads for all weapons, with the exception of the Crimson Spectre (needs reload), the GPMG (belt-fed, large drum), the HMG (see GPMG), and the ASP (does not reload). I just need to make ADS frames for the M97, XM27, GPMG, and Surfeit Torment, and I can consider the weapons to be caught up.

Ammo overhaul is complete - the only weapon that uses a variant of the original system is the Sokova 46's underbarrel GL. This has the side effect of making all ammo much more plentiful, since all ammo spawns for reloading weapons now come in the form of magazines as opposed to loose ammo, so I have to reduce the proliferation of ammo OR refocus the mod on slaughter maps (I may make spawned ammo counts adjustable in the future).

The VSK9's automatic rate-of-fire will be increased slightly.
AvzinElkein

Re: Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.9f [CROSSPLOSIONS DELAYED]

Post by AvzinElkein »

I loaded both The Trooper and the Extra Weapons on GZDoom 3.1.0, but I got some errors (didn't try to actually start the game though!):
Spoiler:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.9f [CROSSPLOSIONS DELAYED]

Post by wildweasel »

If all you're seeing is "truncation" errors, then that comes from using random(x,y) instead of frandom(x,y). Should be an easy find-and-replace fix on the author's part. The game itself should run fine, however.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”