[WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.4 [INFINITE HIATUS]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Turin Turambar
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.6 [ANGEL ATTACK]

Post by Turin Turambar »

Can anyone explain the hud numbers? It isn't like the OP makes a great job at it.
Metalworks41190

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.6 [ANGEL ATTACK]

Post by Metalworks41190 »

For some reason when ever I set the "KSR VSK7 Nightshade" to slug mode and try the secondary fire my game crashes. Is there something I can do to change that?
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.6.1 [ANGEL ATTACK + HUD]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Metalworks41190 wrote:For some reason when ever I set the "KSR VSK7 Nightshade" to slug mode and try the secondary fire my game crashes. Is there something I can do to change that?
I haven't been able to reproduce the error - can you give any details (like GZDoom version, Trooper version, etc.)?

In the mean time, I've been tweaking the Angelsphere (alt-fire shoots four blasts instead of one) and, more importantly, made some changes to the HUD (reordered and clearly defined ammo information).

Next will hopefully be weapon status indicators. Namely, what settings are active on the weapon when it's selected.
Metalworks41190

I'm using GZDoom 4.2.1 and using the latest version of The Trooper on the map pack No End In Sight. Also my PC Specs are Win 7 Ult 64 bit, 8 Gigs of RAM, GeForce GTX 970, Intel Core i5-3570 CPU 3.40Ghz and I play on wide screen HD TV through an HDMI cable I don't have a stander PC monitor at the moment. If you need more info like what my GZD setting's are just tell me witch ones and thanks for the response.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Metalworks41190 wrote:I'm using GZDoom 4.2.1 and using the latest version of The Trooper on the map pack No End In Sight. Also my PC Specs are Win 7 Ult 64 bit, 8 Gigs of RAM, GeForce GTX 970, Intel Core i5-3570 CPU 3.40Ghz and I play on wide screen HD TV through an HDMI cable I don't have a stander PC monitor at the moment. If you need more info like what my GZD setting's are just tell me witch ones and thanks for the response.

Couldn't reproduce it, though for all I know, I have to update my GZD and see what happens.
Metalworks41190

I just noticed it only crashes when I shoot at zero slugs.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.6.2 [ANGEL ATTACK + HUD]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Metalworks41190 wrote:I just noticed it only crashes when I shoot at zero slugs.
Fixed. I also made a couple of big changes:

*Weapons now have Level Requirements: Uncommons require a player level of 5, Rares require level 10, Legendaries require level 15, and Exotic require maximum level (20).
*XP scale changed - Weapon upgrades now come in increments of 500(C), 750(U), 1000(R), 1250(L), and 1500(E) XP instead of 500/1000/1500/2500.
*Nishimura Seven scoped ADS frames and animations changed.
Metalworks41190

Thanks for the fix guy.
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

Bug report: even after leveling up to Level 10, the M41A Pulse Rifle does nothing when hitting Primary Fire. Secondary does work, however.
ohyeahbabyithurts
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ohyeahbabyithurts »

My game crashes every time I switch to the Marco Automatic Rifle for some reason. :?

Just for context, I'm using (G)ZDoom version 4.2.4.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

ohyeahbabyithurts wrote:My game crashes every time I switch to the Marco Automatic Rifle for some reason. :?

Just for context, I'm using (G)ZDoom version 4.2.4.
Hmmst - I haven't recreated this (for reference, I am using the most recent dev build of GZDoom). Maybe update your GZDoom and try again? Otherwise, I'll upload the version I currently have, which does not appear to exhibit this issue.

I'm testing removing the weapon selection system to allow compatibility with Weapon Menu - I hope to assemble a group of mods I believe complement The Trooper, such as Target Spy, Aim Assist, Weapon Menu, among others.
Metalworks41190 wrote:I'm using GZDoom 4.2.1 and using the latest version of The Trooper on the map pack No End In Sight. Also my PC Specs are Win 7 Ult 64 bit, 8 Gigs of RAM, GeForce GTX 970, Intel Core i5-3570 CPU 3.40Ghz and I play on wide screen HD TV through an HDMI cable I don't have a stander PC monitor at the moment. If you need more info like what my GZD setting's are just tell me witch ones and thanks for the response.
WAIT - Did you use...IDFA? I've noticed that switching weapons after IDFA often crashes the game. I am adding a secondary cheat item (actor name "VPS2") to allow an all-weapons cheat without triggering a crash.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.3 TEST

Post by TheRailgunner »

After much deliberation, I've decided to remove the weapon selection system I implemented in earlier versions, but elected to maintain the 1-4 slot system. I've also tidied up the code itself a bit, mainly to remove minor errors on startup (just doesn't look appealing), but also to remove unnecessary actors and make ammo cheats function properly. Testing SHOULD be easier from this point, pending some amount of further simplification, and The Trooper is now (hopefully) compatible with Weapon Menu.

Other things worth mentioning:
*Engrams are also gone - get ready for A Wide Variety of Weapon Pickup Sprites!
*As stated above, IDFA and IDKFA no longer cause game crashes upon weapon switching - it DOES fully upgrade all of the weapons you have, however
*Rifle projectile damages adjusted slightly
*If at maximum shields, additional shield charges will overcharge your shield - while you can go well above max, they will only regenerate once below 700
*Weapons now give both normal and alternate ammo when picked up
*Weapons no longer have a chance to spawn with upgrades unlocked

It may not seem like much, and certainly not enough to warrant a jump from 0.2.6.2 to 0.3, but I think it is an important step forward, and I'm hoping that the somewhat greater ease-of-access and compatibility improvements will make The Trooper a little less cumbersome.

GO NUTS.
Somagu

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.3 [COMPATIBILITY]

Post by Somagu »

I think the level limits should be reconsidered now that the Engram system has been axed. It's frustrating cycling through weapons I literally can't even use to get to the Common tiers.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.31 [AIM YOUR MINIGUN]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Somagu wrote:I think the level limits should be reconsidered now that the Engram system has been axed. It's frustrating cycling through weapons I literally can't even use to get to the Common tiers.
Very well - Level Requirements have been axed! I may end up decreasing the drop rate for rarer weapons again, and possibly bring back the old Last Salvo sprites.

EDIT: The Trooper Arsenal (weapons-only version) will be receiving an update soon, as may Adversaries.

EDIT II:

The DGA-3 now has iron sights! While there are a few heavy weapons that could use iron sights (Machiavellian Disciple, possibly the DM-6 and Luxor), until I add more weapons, all primary and secondary weapons have some sort of Zoom function. Next up: time to work on status indicators!

EDIT III: 3.1 is up, with some changes to the Machiavellian Disciple - now that it has iron sights, I've given the Disciple's hip-fire a decent bit of spread. The weapon also now has noticeable recoil effects!

In addition, it now has a new firing sound and improved zoom/reload cancels. I may even consider adding a dual-wield state...or universal dual-wielding in general.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.1 [AIM YOUR MINIGUN]

Post by Captain J »

This mod has dozens of weapons and i love it. Each weapons feel way too powerful and the sound effects are satisfying as well. Reminds me of Russian Overkill but more extra-tactical.
Spoiler: And if you don't mind, i've got some gripes to talk about
This mod is overall, totally powerful. Excellent job!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”