[WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.4 [INFINITE HIATUS]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.12ish [IMMINENT AMMO REVAMP]

Post by TheRailgunner »

The HUD is working now:

As is the faux-inventory system - weapons are now confined to four slots, but weapons in each slot can be scrolled through using User3 and User4. The downside is that I have to essentially redo much of the Decorate work over again for Extra Weapons; I have to make compatible versions of each of the weapons in the base mod so the additional weapons don't break the system.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

TheRailgunner wrote:The HUD is working now:

owww that is really great design
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.13 out soon [RELOAD WHEN YOU W

Post by TheRailgunner »

Checklist for next update to The Trooper (v0.2.4.13):

*HUD overhaul - done!
*New weapon system - done!
*Extra user buttons (5-10) - done!
*Ammo ratios/conversions for heavy weapons. - done!
*Make voluntary reloading not wasteful by saving spare rounds during reloads. - done!
*Voluntary reloads - done!
*Combine The Trooper and Extra Weapons - done!
*Complete conversion of extra weapons to new ammo system and synthbutton setup - done!
*Weapon rebalancing - done!
*Revised melee system
*More upgrades

There are likely more things, but I'm pretty satisfied with the progress I'm making. I'm also working on some small touches (the first weapon you pick up in your secondary, heavy, or superheavy slots causes you to autoswitch; additional weapons in any slot will not, for example) which add a little bit of refinement and atmosphere to the mod.

Other things:

*Alternate ammo functions have been relocated to User5; Nishimura Seven scope and fire selector functions relocated to User5 and User6, respectively.

To-do (v0.2.5):

*Angelsphere Reimplentation Project (recoding Angelsphere effects and system/introducing Angelsphere switch code to other weapons)
*Minibosses for each enemy type
*Updates for Arsenal and Adversaries
Last edited by TheRailgunner on Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I assume this mod is only compatible with DOOM and DOOM II.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.13 out soon [PRESS R TO RELOAD

Post by TheRailgunner »

AvzinElkein wrote:I assume this mod is only compatible with DOOM and DOOM II.
For now, but compatibility with Heretic and HeXen is planned; Chex Quest is likely, but not Strife unless I can code around any scripting issues that I may come across.

Once I get around to making levels and such, it may lose compatibility with ANY IWADS; barring separate versions, the plan for The Trooper is to eventually be a standalone Doom engine game.

So, I've lowered most primary weapons' damage and raised shotgun damage considerably, as well as lowering both the maximum magazine count and magazine capacity for both primary and secondary weapons. I may ditch sprucing up melee and adding updates and just release v0.2.4.13 as-is, pending further testing and possible cosmetic touches. Ammo for heavy and superheavy weapons turns into ammo for whatever heavy/superheavy weapon you are holding/have equipped; hence, ammo pooling for all weapon categories is complete.

I also plan on making magazines in general more scarce.
ScoutSpy

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.13 out soon [PRESS R TO RELOAD

Post by ScoutSpy »

can you fix the link, it seems that the link is broken
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.13 [H E X A G O N S]

Post by TheRailgunner »

ScoutSpy wrote:can you fix the link, it seems that the link is broken
Can you be more specific? There are several links at the end of the first post.

Also, I'm going to update The Trooper before 12 PM CST, mainly to avoid releasing it on April Fool's; curiously enough, this mirrors the release of the the first version of the mod two years ago. There may be a quick follow-up update or two to finish the recoil effects and possibly correct any cosmetic incongruities that come up. Among the changes coming are:

*Revamped HUD!
*Four-category weapon slot system with rebalanced ammo system and shared ammo pools!
*Voluntary, magazine-based reload system that saves spare ammo from half-empty mags!
*Stronger shotguns and more balanced primary weapons!
*Most magazine capacities have been decreased by 25% to 50%!
*Simpler effects for the Nishimura Seven's altfire and the Sharpshooter Arm's beams!
*At the very least an upgrade for the Nishimura Seven that enables Burst-Fire!

The Trooper, version 0.2.4.13

EDIT: Damn, 60 megs! Anyway, there will be no Extra Weapons from this version forward; all weapons are now part of the base mod. I'll have a complete changelog up soon as well as revisions to the OP.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Are megaspheres supposed to give 999 hp and 999 armor? It also displays the default "You got a pickup" message rather than the original megasphere one.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

Something is wrong. Lots of weapon pickups give you nothing you pick them up, and some weapons with multiple ammo types will behave if they have no ammo despite the HUD saying I'm plenty of ammo after reloading with the alternate ammo type a few times.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Cryomundus wrote:Are megaspheres supposed to give 999 hp and 999 armor? It also displays the default "You got a pickup" message rather than the original megasphere one.
No, though I'm not aware of why.
Ribo Zurai wrote:Something is wrong. Lots of weapon pickups give you nothing you pick them up, and some weapons with multiple ammo types will behave if they have no ammo despite the HUD saying I'm plenty of ammo after reloading with the alternate ammo type a few times.
Some weapons will give you either alternate ammo or possession of the weapon proper. As far as the second thing is concerned, can you describe the situation? Mainly because "reloading with alternate ammo" doesn't really make sense here - alternate ammo isn't ever actually loaded into anything, it's simply spent from a reserve in conjunction with loaded standard ammo.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

Nevermind, the ammo thingy was a mistake of my part. Still trying to understand how the ammo system functions.

However, still don't understand about the weapons: the sword, the XM27, the Mars B assault rifle, and many others - those pickups give me no weapons at all. The Sturmman M97 Shotgun also is not given to me if I'm holding the VSK7 Nightshade, and viceversa.
ScoutSpy

Post by ScoutSpy »

TheRailgunner wrote:
ScoutSpy wrote:can you fix the link, it seems that the link is broken
Can you be more specific? There are several links at the end of the first post.

Also, I'm going to update The Trooper before 12 PM CST, mainly to avoid releasing it on April Fool's; curiously enough, this mirrors the release of the the first version of the mod two years ago. There may be a quick follow-up update or two to finish the recoil effects and possibly correct any cosmetic incongruities that come up. Among the changes coming are:

*Revamped HUD!
*Four-category weapon slot system with rebalanced ammo system and shared ammo pools!
*Voluntary, magazine-based reload system that saves spare ammo from half-empty mags!
*Stronger shotguns and more balanced primary weapons!
*Most magazine capacities have been decreased by 25% to 50%!
*Simpler effects for the Nishimura Seven's altfire and the Sharpshooter Arm's beams!
*At the very least an upgrade for the Nishimura Seven that enables Burst-Fire!

The Trooper, version 0.2.4.13

EDIT: Damn, 60 megs! Anyway, there will be no Extra Weapons from this version forward; all weapons are now part of the base mod. I'll have a complete changelog up soon as well as revisions to the OP.
Oops, actually, one of the links apparently are broken, like the zandronum compatible link (https://www.dropbox.com/s/5g08hq6jildvl ... d.pk3?dl=0) and the RDND link (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffy9rxry87q53 ... D.pk3?dl=0). Only the extra weapons and the main file works other than the two links, why are two links are broken, did you delete them or dropbox disable the link?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Ribo Zurai wrote:Nevermind, the ammo thingy was a mistake of my part. Still trying to understand how the ammo system functions.

However, still don't understand about the weapons: the sword, the XM27, the Mars B assault rifle, and many others - those pickups give me no weapons at all. The Sturmman M97 Shotgun also is not given to me if I'm holding the VSK7 Nightshade, and viceversa.
AH, now this makes more sense:
TheRailgunner wrote:As is the faux-inventory system - weapons are now confined to four slots, but weapons in each slot can be scrolled through using User3 and User4. The downside is that I have to essentially redo much of the Decorate work over again for Extra Weapons; I have to make compatible versions of each of the weapons in the base mod so the additional weapons don't break the system.
Basically, the weapons (or, more properly, placeholder inventory actors that tell the mod to give you the weapon when you scroll to it) are there, but I've effectively removed multi-weapon slots and a 1-10 weapon organization scheme - in keeping with this, as soon as you have a weapon equipped in a given slot (i.e., the first weapon of that type you acquire), you won't automatically switch to additional weapons you gather in the same category. Hence, if you pickup a VSK7 with no Secondary weapon, you'll switch to it immediately, but picking up a VSK9, M97, or DGA-3 afterward will not trigger a switch (it helps that this makes gathering weapons in general less inconvenient, as the flow of combat is not interrupted by a sudden weapon switching animation). I intend to give many weapons much greater rarity in the near future. The sword is not a weapon in its own right (it was some over a year ago, and I've considered bringing that back again); rather, it can be used as a powerful, life-stealing quick melee while holding literally any weapon by using User2 (for The Trooper, this is T; Q is tied to User1, which triggers the Knife quick melee).

The keybinds I have set for User3 and User4 are F and G, respectively - as for User5-10 (from the mod's KEYCONF.txt):

Code: Select all

Defaultbind V User5
Defaultbind B User6
Defaultbind H User7
Defaultbind J User8
Defaultbind U User9
Defaultbind K User0
Defaultbind Y AltReload
Also of note (which I curiously forgot to mention) is the Voluntary Alternate Reload Function - this mainly serves to load your underbarrel grenade launchers, at least for now.
ScoutSpy wrote: Oops, actually, one of the links apparently are broken, like the zandronum compatible link (https://www.dropbox.com/s/5g08hq6jildvl ... d.pk3?dl=0) and the RDND link (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffy9rxry87q53 ... D.pk3?dl=0). Only the extra weapons and the main file works other than the two links, why are two links are broken, did you delete them or dropbox disable the link?
It would seem that those files are missing from my Dropbox; I'll have to reupload them and update the links soon. Speaking of updates, I uploaded a quick fix for a bug with the GPMG's reload.

EDIT: Edited a bunch, just figured I'd at least say so.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

What button do I press for the quickdraw weapons?

EDIT: ALso, does anyone know if Shades of Doom breaks this mod or not? Never mind, it doesn't.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Gideon020 wrote:What button do I press for the quickdraw weapons?

EDIT: ALso, does anyone know if Shades of Doom breaks this mod or not? Never mind, it doesn't.
I decided against the quickdraws for now - mostly because they complicate the existing weapon structure (they show up if I scrolled through the Heavy weapons, which was frustrating to no end because it's not possible to switch back via faux-inventory scrolling).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”