[WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.4 [INFINITE HIATUS]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.13 [H E X A G O N S]

Post by TheRailgunner »

PooshhMao wrote:Played a few maps with the newer version. Despite the addition of at-will reloads (for some weapons at least?), it's as confusing as ever. I have no idea what things on the HUD are supposed to represent, the per-category weapon switching is incredibly unintuitive, it's basically a mess right now where I'm constantly fighting design quirks.

I like the mod enough to post about it however - but you may want to swallow some of your pride here and adopt true and tested FPS control mechanics instead of insisting on your own.

To conclude:

- Please drop the weapon category thing
- Ensure consistent controls for every single weapon (reloads, iron sights, alt fire)

Hate to sound negative, you're doing a good job though
It's not a matter of pride (if anything, pride is hard to take in a system just about every player seems to dislike); reverting to a normal weapon system would be almost as much effort (if not more) as it was to jury-rig the new system in the first place. Actually, I'm considering trying to reconfigure where the keys are bound (I kind of want to move Weapon States 3 and 4 to the middle mouse wheel to free up F and G for Weapon States 5 and 6). I can see if it's possible to make it less inconvenient, but reversing the changes are my last resort if I cannot make the new system more comfortable/easier for users to accept. The HUD issues are more easily remedied; some clarifications and indicators here and there would make all the difference.

On the "tried and true" note - Doom's weapon system IS rather archaic, and most FPS moved past it after 2001 (indeed, between Halo's - and most series after it - two-gun system and Destiny's three-gun+RPG/MMO-inventory system, the only games that stick to the 1-10 system are deliberate throwbacks to the mid 90's anyway). If I can smooth out the system, I'd consider it an improvement and at least some amount of modernization. That said, most of those games are ALSO optimized for controllers, not keyboards - maybe some controller testing is in order?
insightguy wrote:OK, just tried it and I have 3 major problems:

1. What is what on the right side of the HUD? It seems to be obfuscate what number means what, please indicate what they are supposed to be ingame

2. please put what means what in the control page, just make a language lump and paste this:

Code: Select all

CNTRLMNU_USER1					= "Swing Knife";
CNTRLMNU_USER2					= "Swing Cursed Sword";
CNTRLMNU_USER3					= "Next weapon in category";
CNTRLMNU_USER4					= "Previous weapon in category";
3. Since there are only 4 major ammo types, please add them to the hud so we know what weapon slot to go to and what can still be used.

EDIT: there is a bug with the SMG, as the thing says I have 50 bullets when in fact I have no ammo when I emptied it.
Right side is supposed to be ammo - I can see how it's difficult to read since none of the cells indicate what they mean or represent.

I'll add some lines to the language lump, albeit with "Demon's Blood Sword" replacing "Cursed Sword".

The XM27's other 50-bullet reading is for the dual-wielded weapon's magazine.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

TheRailgunner wrote:Right side is supposed to be ammo - I can see how it's difficult to read since none of the cells indicate what they mean or represent.
If you can categorize them with words and space them out, I can see it working. I need to know what the each number means.

If I can suggest, also make the weapon names visible in the HUD. use DrawString in SBARINFO with weapontag as the string or something. With the way that the weapons work, I may want to know the name of the weapon (more of to see what gun I just upgraded.)
TheRailgunner wrote:The XM27's other 50-bullet reading is for the dual-wielded weapon's magazine.
Until the player actualy gets a 2nd gun, please keep away as not to confuse the player (just add a Isinventory into the SBARINFO)

Actualy, don't stop there, Don't show the secondary ammo count until the secondary is available to the gun (I see that some guns seem to only get the altfire after a specific upgrade.)

So far although unconventional, The weapon system is OK, but then again I can somehow fully reload the double shotgun with 1 magazine for 20 bullets.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

yknow, curious, with actual the ability to do weapon wheels, what might work is to have a weapon on each key

like, key 2 is pistols
tap 2 to choose the pistol you've chosen
hold 2 down to choose out of the pistols you have

itd be a lot harder to code but the convenience (and less finger gymnastics) would be beneficial in the long run. keep your idea for the game goin but also make it convenient
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

chronoteeth wrote:yknow, curious, with actual the ability to do weapon wheels, what might work is to have a weapon on each key
wait, we can do weapon wheels?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

insightguy wrote:
chronoteeth wrote:yknow, curious, with actual the ability to do weapon wheels, what might work is to have a weapon on each key
wait, we can do weapon wheels?
Possibly - it'll probably work better and could potentially be adapted from Guncaster's spell and shop wheels (provided I ask PillowBlaster first)...Unless I'm missing something entirely, of course.

Also, found a bug where the Luxor never spawns properly (the weapon itself spawns in the place of a pickup spawner that responds to CVARs).
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Hi!
TheRailgunner wrote:I'd rather have a menu overlaid over the bottom of the HUD that allows you to directly select what weapon you want to equip in a given slot, but I don't really know how.
chronoteeth wrote:like, key 2 is pistols
tap 2 to choose the pistol you've chosen
hold 2 down to choose out of the pistols you have
TheRailgunner wrote:Unless I'm missing something entirely, of course.
I'm sorry to break into the topic, but this is exactly what my Weapon Menu is for. Recently I added a key to rearrange weapons inside a slot. One can now choose his favorite weapon in each slot so it can be accessed faster.
I already tried to add The Trooper support to Weapon Menu, but currently this is not possible because the menu needs the weapon to be actually in inventory. So for these two mods to be compatible, some work is required on The Trooper side.
Important note: Weapon Menu has extensive set of CVars that can be used to integrate menu into HUD.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Speaking of weapons, I'm curious since I haven't gotten far enough in any of my megawads to encounter them. Did any of the planned weapons make it into this version?

EDIT: Also, do I need to redownload to fix the Luxor bug?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Gideon020 wrote:Speaking of weapons, I'm curious since I haven't gotten far enough in any of my megawads to encounter them. Did any of the planned weapons make it into this version?

EDIT: Also, do I need to redownload to fix the Luxor bug?
I haven't uploaded an bugfix update yet; I'll have one up by the time I go to bed tomorrow.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

TheRailgunner wrote:
I haven't uploaded an bugfix update yet; I'll have one up by the time I go to bed tomorrow.
Cool, and yeah, did any of the planned weapons make it in? Don't need specifics, just a yes/no so I can be hype while going through my current megawad. :D
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Gideon020 wrote:
TheRailgunner wrote:
Cool, and yeah, did any of the planned weapons make it in? Don't need specifics, just a yes/no so I can be hype while going through my current megawad. :D
Not this time - the new changes got me all excited and focused on other parts of the mod - also, I haven't done the Bubblegum Thesis justice with a complete, proper sprite set yet (I have sprites for the Templar and Kullish Adversary, but no code for either).
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Gideon020 wrote:ALso, does anyone know if Shades of Doom breaks this mod or not? Never mind, it doesn't.
Wait, what? Doesn't this mod add hitboxes for headshots and stuff? I'm almost entirely sure those would be missing. But I could be wrong. I'll have to check up on that when I have the time.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Oh yeah, another thing I found apart from vanilla small cells showing up; whenever I pick up the Machiavellian Disciple and also have the Crimson in the inventory, I can't swap between them.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Gideon020 wrote:Oh yeah, another thing I found apart from vanilla small cells showing up; whenever I pick up the Machiavellian Disciple and also have the Crimson in the inventory, I can't swap between them.
Huh...

So, I've uploaded a few fixes - mostly for the Luxor and the XM27 HUD issues. There are still a number of things I haven't gotten to (vanilla plasma cells, a few others that I haven't encountered but have seen proof of testing from other players), but I plan to soon, along with various clarifications to the HUD and its functions.

In the mean time, I've mostly finished updating the Nishimura Seven's sprites (it's the reason I haven't posted a proper fix update, if I'm being honest here) - while I haven't resprited the reload animation (I need to, as it looks fucking dreadful), the new sprites look a lot...shinier:

ImageImage

Speaking of reload sprites:

Working on this now.

EDIT: Hey, it's some Vanilla Plasma Cells!
Spoiler:
Should be able to fix it shortly. fixed now.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Cool, just redownload for the fixes?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Gideon020 wrote:Cool, just redownload for the fixes?
Yes - bear in mind, not all things are fixed, but I'm gonna get it all taken care of soon.

Improved reload sprites:

ImageImage

I've replaced the reload animation wholesale - changes have been uploaded, along with a couple of animation fixes and a tweak to the scoped-in firing state.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”