[WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.4 [INFINITE HIATUS]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

Re: Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.9f [CROSSPLOSIONS DELAYED]

Post by TheRailgunner »

wildweasel wrote:If all you're seeing is "truncation" errors, then that comes from using random(x,y) instead of frandom(x,y). Should be an easy find-and-replace fix on the author's part. The game itself should run fine, however.
Awesome - i was wondering what the issue was.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

TheRailgunner wrote:
wildweasel wrote:If all you're seeing is "truncation" errors, then that comes from using random(x,y) instead of frandom(x,y). Should be an easy find-and-replace fix on the author's part. The game itself should run fine, however.
Awesome - i was wondering what the issue was.
Thanks; lemme know if/when you've updated it, so I can try it out myself :)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

AvzinElkein wrote:Thanks; lemme know if/when you've updated it, so I can try it out myself :)
You can actually try it out right now if you want to. The error is 100% harmless to players.
TheRailgunner

Re: Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.9g [THINGS LIKE SUCH AS TH

Post by TheRailgunner »

Since I don't know when I'll have time to actually properly update the mod, I'm uploading the current version of it - 0.2.4.9g:

*Ammo balance altered entirely - ammo is picked up in the form of magazines. Basic weapon spawns are not guaranteed to give magazines; they do sometimes give alternate ammo.
*Special ammo no longer fires independently of normal ammo - normal ammo now serves to track ammo use, so special and loaded ammo are expended when altfired.
*M97 has basic reload animation; VSK9 has reload and iron sights.
*Health constantly regenerates; health no longer spawns, and is replaced by some variant of basic enemy.
*Demon Blood Sword may be too OP with lifesteal abilities.
*Most weapon damage values decreased considerably.
*Surfeit Torment can fire non-explosive bullets if explosive shells are active.
*Nishimura Seven can fire automatically, although this is, in my experience during testing, a grandiose waste.
*DGA-3 ammo balance is entirely broken, as I have yet to adjust the ammo spawn rate to the new ammo system, so each magazine pickup yields six mags instead of one. Damage is still broken in regards to boss enemies.
*Movement script does not restart if weapon is not switched upon level start.
*IDFA/IDKFA are broken - use "summon ValuePackSpawner" (ValuePackSpawnerPatched if using Extra Weapons) to give all weapons and ammo.

I can't really remember what else I changed, I'll get back to that as things get noticed.

Original Recipe
Extra Crispy

I highly recommend using Damage Numbers with this build.
Last edited by TheRailgunner on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

So i just gave this a run and i approve most of the changes EXCEPT:

> medikits spawn enemies.

Now, i know I'm not the best player around, but, pistolstarting map21, or even starting with lots of weapons makes things too tough. Like in the example above, if you don't use the jump to reach the teleporter, then start taking baddies down, your chances are waaaaay low :(
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

GAA1992 wrote:So i just gave this a run and i approve most of the changes EXCEPT:

> medikits spawn enemies.

Now, i know I'm not the best player around, but, pistolstarting map21, or even starting with lots of weapons makes things too tough. Like in the example above, if you don't use the jump to reach the teleporter, then start taking baddies down, your chances are waaaaay low :(
I'll figure out a way to CVAR it soon - just gonna have to have a spawner that checks the CVAR in order to determine whether to spawn health items or enemy spawners.
SeriousWeasle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SeriousWeasle »

For some reason I can't fire the pistol if it has nothing in its magazine and I don't have normal ammo, even though I have around 25 special bullets. I have tried a couple of gzdoom versions;

gzdoom-x64-g3.2pre-129-g5918167
gzdoom-x64-g3.2pre-374-g5795e0f
gzdoom 3.1.0 64-bit version

*EDIT
I forgot to tell which .pk3 files I loaded and in what order:

1.the_trooper_v0249g.pk3
2.then the_trooper_extra_weapons_v0249g.pk3
3.the_trooper_voxels.pk3
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

SeriousWeasle wrote:For some reason I can't fire the pistol if it has nothing in its magazine and I don't have normal ammo, even though I have around 25 special bullets. I have tried a couple of gzdoom versions;

gzdoom-x64-g3.2pre-129-g5918167
gzdoom-x64-g3.2pre-374-g5795e0f
gzdoom 3.1.0 64-bit version

*EDIT
I forgot to tell which .pk3 files I loaded and in what order:

1.the_trooper_v0249g.pk3
2.then the_trooper_extra_weapons_v0249g.pk3
3.the_trooper_voxels.pk3
Special ammo no longer fires independently of normal ammo - normal ammo now serves to track ammo use, so special and loaded ammo are expended when altfired.

I'm sorry - I should've included that in the "ammo system overhauled" changelog entry. Also, "the_trooper_voxels.pk3" is very out-of-date, I have yet to try working on it again in quite some time. Your load order is otherwise correct - it's something I forgot to mention.
SeriousWeasle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SeriousWeasle »

TheRailgunner wrote: I'm sorry - I should've included that in the "ammo system overhauled" changelog entry.
OK, thanks for the information, it now makes sense to me.
TheRailgunner wrote: Also, "the_trooper_voxels.pk3" is very out-of-date
Doesn't matter to me, because in my opinion some voxel items is better than no voxel items.
TheRailgunner

Re: Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.9g [UNDERBARREL GL 2]

Post by TheRailgunner »

SeriousWeasle wrote:
TheRailgunner wrote: Also, "the_trooper_voxels.pk3" is very out-of-date
Doesn't matter to me, because in my opinion some voxel items is better than no voxel items.
I like your attitude, SeriousWeasle - kinda makes me want to start on voxels again...

So, this is now a thing:

Underbarrel automatic grenade launcher! The MARS B now comes with a MARS G mounted under the barrel - fire selector for it is User 3.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Main critiques:
-Luxor sprite position seems off when taking the tracer generated from firing into account.
-Really don't like having health items replaced by enemies.
-Gathering ammo for new magazines seems off. I pick up one Surfeit Torment and don't get ammo, but pick up another and I suddenly get a new magazine, for example. Or I pick up loose pistol ammo and it doesn't do anything.

Big Baby Complaint Because I'm a Big Baby:
-Infinite Ammo doesn't work anymore. :P

Obligatory Compliment: Several of these weapons are helping my muse write fanfiction. :D
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Gideon020 wrote:Main critiques:
-Luxor sprite position seems off when taking the tracer generated from firing into account.
-Gathering ammo for new magazines seems off. I pick up one Surfeit Torment and don't get ammo, but pick up another and I suddenly get a new magazine, for example. Or I pick up loose pistol ammo and it doesn't do anything.

Obligatory Compliment: Several of these weapons are helping my muse write fanfiction. :D
So:
- I don't know what's up with the Luxor's tracers, I've been trying to lower their spawn point, but it doesn't seem to help much.
- Most people don't seem to - it just sucks that more often then not, I find myself dealing with health-centric gameplay (i.e., kill to get to the health, get the health, rinse and repeat) in a lot of places, and felt the pace of game needed...more enemies and less health. Still, I need to CVAR that shit, it seems to be a real issue.
- Special ammo is used in conjunction with normal ammo (altfiring anything will cost one special and one loaded ammo), and ammo is meant to be semi-scarce (more often than not, I tend to get full on ammo pretty quickly) - if a pickup doesn't give a magazine, it'll give you special ammo, guaranteed.
- You talking about the Quad Damage bug with the XM27 (which did actually have an infinite ammo bug)?
- Now I'm curious - what weapons, and in what context?
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

TheRailgunner wrote:

So:
- I don't know what's up with the Luxor's tracers, I've been trying to lower their spawn point, but it doesn't seem to help much.
- Most people don't seem to - it just sucks that more often then not, I find myself dealing with health-centric gameplay (i.e., kill to get to the health, get the health, rinse and repeat) in a lot of places, and felt the pace of game needed...more enemies and less health. Still, I need to CVAR that shit, it seems to be a real issue.
- Special ammo is used in conjunction with normal ammo (altfiring anything will cost one special and one loaded ammo), and ammo is meant to be semi-scarce (more often than not, I tend to get full on ammo pretty quickly) - if a pickup doesn't give a magazine, it'll give you special ammo, guaranteed.
- You talking about the Quad Damage bug with the XM27 (which did actually have an infinite ammo bug)?
In order:

1: Forgot to clarify that it was the un-mounted Luxor so I'm probably just imagining things.
2: I've always had more trouble finding health more than anything but it gets jarring seeing an imp stuck inside a shelf when playing the Hell On Earth mappack.
3: To clarify I'm actually asking if there's some kind of hidden counter for generating spare magazines.
4: Nope, talking about the Infinite Ammo CVAR in the Gameplay Options menu. I use it when I feel like being a filthy casual baby.
5: Luxor, Last Salvo and Nishimura is helping me with a generic Worm fanfic, while the others just help me write action scenes in general.

Also, I noticed that some of the enemies have different death animations.

Something else I've noticed is that the special ammo notifications for the revolver seem to be reversed: it says 'explosive shells inactive' when their active and vice-versa. I'll need to check but the shotguns might have the same problem.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Gideon020 wrote:
TheRailgunner wrote:

So:
In order:

1: Forgot to clarify that it was the un-mounted Luxor so I'm probably just imagining things.
2: I've always had more trouble finding health more than anything but it gets jarring seeing an imp stuck inside a shelf when playing the Hell On Earth mappack.
3: To clarify I'm actually asking if there's some kind of hidden counter for generating spare magazines.
4: Nope, talking about the Infinite Ammo CVAR in the Gameplay Options menu. I use it when I feel like being a filthy casual baby.
5: Luxor, Last Salvo and Nishimura is helping me with a generic Worm fanfic, while the others just help me write action scenes in general.

Also, I noticed that some of the enemies have different death animations.

Something else I've noticed is that the special ammo notifications for the revolver seem to be reversed: it says 'explosive shells inactive' when their active and vice-versa. I'll need to check but the shotguns might have the same problem.
SO:

1: It is actually an issue with the un-mounted Luxor - it's because its sprites are tilted and lowered to give that "heavy weapon lugging" look to it.
2: It is kind of annoying when enemies get spawned in walls.
3: No, it's via RandomSpawner; hence, when/if certain weapons give magazines isn't really possible to determine without looking at the code.
4: Does the CVAR effect ammo types other than those explicitly described in the weapon's Decorate entry?
5: Worm? Also, fun fact - the Nishimura Seven is one of few weapons to have a place outside of Doom mods; in the story that surrounds an older project of mine - Project Operation Unthinkable (as well as the ridiculous pan-universal crossover said project belongs to) - the N7 is the service rifle of warriors serving the Kaiser Legion (believe it or not, it actually has nothing to do with the similarly named Caesar's Legion from Fallout 3: New Vegas, predating FO3 by about a year), a massive, paramilitary force locked in a multi-universal struggle with the Emperor of the Known Megaverse. That said...I am intrigued.
6: Special ammo notifications refer to the alt-fire function. Furthermore, if you have none of one type of special ammo, it will either default to the other special ammo type or simply dryfire.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

TheRailgunner wrote: 1: It is actually an issue with the un-mounted Luxor - it's because its sprites are tilted and lowered to give that "heavy weapon lugging" look to it.
Yeah, pretty much.
2: It is kind of annoying when enemies get spawned in walls.
Yup.
3: No, it's via RandomSpawner; hence, when/if certain weapons give magazines isn't really possible to determine without looking at the code.
Huh. I see. You'll probably need to replace the magnum rounds then, since the loose ammo for that is primarily in single bullets or three-bullet piles. Maybe a speed-loader sprite for singles or a box of magnum rounds for multiples?
4: Does the CVAR effect ammo types other than those explicitly described in the weapon's Decorate entry?
Basically, it only effects something that has a straight ammo count like the Luxor and Last Salvo, while the magazine-based guns aren't affected. Fun as it is, it can get boring plowing through everything with just an HMG and Gauss Cannon somehow. It's not that big a deal, only a big baby complaint because I'm a casual crybaby. :P
5: Worm? Also, fun fact - the Nishimura Seven is one of few weapons to have a place outside of Doom mods; in the story that surrounds an older project of mine - Project Operation Unthinkable (as well as the ridiculous pan-universal crossover said project belongs to) - the N7 is the service rifle of warriors serving the Kaiser Legion (believe it or not, it actually has nothing to do with the similarly named Caesar's Legion from Fallout 3: New Vegas, predating FO3 by about a year), a massive, paramilitary force locked in a multi-universal struggle with the Emperor of the Known Megaverse. That said...I am intrigued.
Superhero webnovel that occasionally veers into Grimderp. What are you intrigued by?
6: Special ammo notifications refer to the alt-fire function. Furthermore, if you have none of one type of special ammo, it will either default to the other special ammo type or simply dryfire.
Yeah, I get that, but the thing is this: I switch to normal shells, it goes 'Explosive Shells Active' and when I switch to explosive it goes 'Explosive Shells Inactive' regardless of what my ammo stocks actually are. Basically, the notifications are stuck in reverse.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”